Thread: Rebarreling

Rebarreling

So I realize that there are many quality barrel manufacturers out there for savage actions. I'm looking to rebarrel my rifle from 7mm-08 to 6.5 Creedmoor. Anyone have a specific manufacturer that you like? Particularly something in the $300 range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Praise the Lord for precision rifles!

Team Savage
    Northland Shooting Supply

Banned
    For that it would be my normal choice. The only reason I went other was a unique configuration neither one of NSS barrel makers did.

More like $400 for a Shilen which is my first choice.

That is based on the best barrel finishing of the ones I have looked at (aftermarket)

Criterion (their other source). Very good reviews and I would have no qualms going with them for a good shooter.

What I do not know is how good the finish is on CBI (inside)

My other barrel is an XC, good enough barrel, done some good shooting with it, but the finish is not as good as Shilen and harder to clean. I hate cleaning.

So if someone has a CBI and a Shilen and has experience with cleaning and or borosocpe that would help.

Boroscope was bought after I realized that the XC is harder to clean (not as hard as a Savage)

Inside condition confirmed. Not as rough as a Savage, not as smooth as a Shilen.

CBI has a very good reputation here for dealing with a problem barrel. I think Shilen as well but I don't know I have seen anyone with a bad Shilen report yet.

Basic Member
    I just re-barreled my Savage with a Benchmark. Not a $300 barrel but it shoots like a dream. Cleans well too. Barrel finish is so good i run one wet patch through the bore, scrubbing as I go. let it soak for a few, then two clean patches. First one is filthy and second one has barely any marking at all. Sometimes I run a third patch through to make sure. You can feel the difference when running dry patches through both OE barrel and the Benchmark. They DO know how to lap a barrel.

Basic Member
    where did you get the Benchmark barrel and who chambered it

chet

Basic Member
    I'm also wondering the same. Looking to rebarrel my .308 to a Creed someday when I shoot through all my 308 components (it's going to be awhile).

Hell you can have.both. all you need is a barrel and a wrench. Then just decide which one you want to shoot first.

I have several shilen and i like them very much. Never had a criterion. Just ordered a barrel from NSS yesterday. Talked to him about both. He really didn't push the criterion. Could be because i always get.the shilen select match.

Also have.bartlein and kraiger. In fact i am ordering a bartlein dasher barrel from bugholes. Just called them. They haven't haven't woke up yet.

Banned
    I can add the Lothar Walther Barrels to the upper quality ones.

The inside finish is second to none, even better than the Shilen.

First load that was not a deliberate very low velocity starter load, shot 5/8 inch group at 110 yards.

There were a few pits, but my take was they lapped the barrel so well that only the deeper ones made it through and would not have been able to see those if not for having had the rest polished out.

While mine cost more as it was a custom chamber, their pre fits for Savage are limited calibers, Varmint contour only but the price is good at no more than $350.

http://www.lothar-walther.com/339.php

I can vogue for the CBI!! I just got my 3rd barrel from Criterion (260 Rem Match) and it is shinny clean on the inside. They are all hand lapped to aid in the smoothing of the rifling... I don't have a bore scope to look thru it, but I can say that it looks just as good as my 22-250 barrels (which are 5 in a nickel accurate @ 100 yards) Even shooting Moly bullets in the 22-250, I don't usually have to run more than 5 patches before it's clean. Then I do the foam bore treatment to remove all the copper fouling... One patch to get the blue out... the second patch comes out spotless (pretty much). I'm moving over to HBN on all of my guns now, so clean up should be even easier going forward.

I ordered from NSS in the 2nd half of 2016 and opted for a 6.5 Creedmoor by Shilen. Before last weekend, I only shot factory Hornady 140gr ELD-Match and Prime Ammo 130gr in it. Hornady shot fine, but I was disappointed with Prime Ammo.

Last Sunday I shot some handloads using Berger 140gr Hybrid Target, H4350, CCI BR4, and Lapua brass and they were way better, especially compared against handloads with Prime brass (ref. https://www.ocabj.net/precision-rifl...e-10fp-part-4/)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chetc View Post
    where did you get the Benchmark barrel and who chambered it

chet
    I had Benchmark chamber it too. I've found their work to be top notch and not only that, they're less than 15 minutes from my door. I'm getting ready to order another one from them. I usually drop in and spend a little time with one of the owners spec'ing out the barrel. Best length, twist, reamer, finish, etc. for what I want to do. Then I just sit back and wait about 3 months for them to call me. Last barrel I got I dropped the action off and they installed the barrel for me. They wanted to engrave it with their name and barrel configuration so it would show when the barrel was properly headspaced. Fresh engraving on a Cerakoted SS barrel sure looks nice.

Always had good luck with Shaw, typically from Gunshack. Or Blackhole weaponry
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    For that it would be my normal choice. The only reason I went other was a unique configuration neither one of NSS barrel makers did.

More like $400 for a Shilen which is my first choice.

That is based on the best barrel finishing of the ones I have looked at (aftermarket)

Criterion (their other source). Very good reviews and I would have no qualms going with them for a good shooter.

What I do not know is how good the finish is on CBI (inside)

My other barrel is an XC, good enough barrel, done some good shooting with it, but the finish is not as good as Shilen and harder to clean. I hate cleaning.

So if someone has a CBI and a Shilen and has experience with cleaning and or borosocpe that would help.

Boroscope was bought after I realized that the XC is harder to clean (not as hard as a Savage)

Inside condition confirmed. Not as rough as a Savage, not as smooth as a Shilen.

CBI has a very good reputation here for dealing with a problem barrel. I think Shilen as well but I don't know I have seen anyone with a bad Shilen report yet.

Can you take pictures?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    I can, they are not great as the resolution of the format is not great and no adjustment.

Currently its hours de combat as I was leaving The want plugged in as it was handy at my cleaning station.

USB ports (the small ones) are not combat hardened (I tend to be a bit ham fisted when not concentrating) . So far that is the only issue I have with the Layman (replacement on the way)

I will let you know when I have them. I can do Savage, XC, Shilen, LW for comparison., I can throw in a K31, a G/11 and some Model of 1917s and a 1903!

Of interest is the Hammer Forged Remington that is quite smooth. The CZ 22 barrel is also very nice (hammer forged but I believe hand lapped as well, maybe finish bored, they do a quality process abo9ve and beyond simple hammer forged, that one I got 1/2 MOA out of if I have the right hold, its really too lite for a bench rest target gun)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post

Of interest is the Hammer Forged Remington that is quite smooth.

I can attest that the Rem Hammer Forged barrels are smooth. I had a 5-R Milspec that was one of the best shooting, out of the box, factory rifles I've ever owned. Cleaning was a dream. The bore looked like itty bitty people crawled through with polishing equipment and made every square milimeter as shiny as possible. I replaced that barrel with a Benchmark 5-C after over 10,000 rounds.

The trigger on the 5-R Milspec stunk but with a replacement Timney the rifle shot great in the factory stock.

One thing certain, CHF barrels are not only smooth (if the mandrel they're formed on is) they are also durable. The process was developed to provide barrels for the MG-42 which, at it's high cyclic rate of fire, absolutely ate barrels made by traditional methods. The process is expensive due to the cost of the equipment so you'll find most aftermarket barrel makers sticking to the old "button" or "single point cut" methods of rifling.