Thread: First Axis Barrel Swap

Basic Member

First Axis Barrel Swap

I have been waiting on the parts to do my first barrel swap. Got a Axis last week in 243 with accutrigger and decided to take the plunge. Had picked up the tools I needed ( barrel vise, nut wrench and go/no go gauges ) and a few barrels over the last couple of months. The 243 barrel was a little hard to get off as I expected, went slow so not to mess up threads and cleaned all parts real well. Threaded nut on replacement barrel (270 ) and threaded it on action to be sure all worked ok, checked head space several times as things moved as I went to lock barrel down. After I was sure things were ok locked barrel down, took out of vise and checked head space a couple more times to be sure. Put in a stock I had roctited and painted added scope and all left to do is go shoot. Kinda nervous on first change but not hard to do. Will post after I shoot as to how it all worked together.

Uh-oh.....you're gonna be hooked now....congrats on the first one. It's alot of fun.
    Scooter

Basic Member
    I already want to do another swap. My plan is to set up one for long action and another for short action, have a 308 Axis to use for the other set up. Have 30-06, 22-250 and 243 barrels ( 2 ) and another 270 and a Stevens 200 in 7mm-08 so have some things to play with. Just need to shoot this one to see how it does first.

Then another, then another, then an aftermarket custom barrel....it just doesn't stop lol. I put together a 243 on an axis action last fall for deer season. I am very pleased with it. I've got several different barrels and calibers, that I switch out on a few different actions. Lotsa fun 👍
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Basic Member
    Finally had a chance to go shoot my Axis build today. Only fired 3 times to see how it shot, forgot to take something to adjust scope, didn't even have coin. Didn't try to take good aim as I just wanted to see how the build came together, recoil was a nice surprise as it was light compared to what my Remington 7600 in 270 had. Gonna use this for opening of deer season then will probably switch to the 30-06 barrel and see what it does. Right now I'm happy with the results I got.

Wayne - no issues with the mag or the action? I understand Savage uses the same action (long) on all Axis rifles - true?
    "Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe."
    - Noah Webster

Basic Member
    Actions are the same, you do need to change trigger guards and use the magazine for caliber you are building. I think I ordered my long action trigger guard and the 25-06-270-30-06 magazine from Midway.

gardnr1
    where did you purchase the tools needed and the barrel

Congrats Wayne....you're going to become an addict soon .

Gardnr1
    You can get the tools from Northland Shooters Supply (One of our sponsors).
    Well made tools. A barrel nut wrench and and action wrench are all that's needed. You'll need a headspace gauge for the calibers you intend to use though.

As for barrels, you can pick them up from custom places like some of our sponsors or you can get alot of factory take-offs from members here in the classifieds section. I have both and they both shoot well for me.
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Basic Member
    I picked up a factory heavy barrel stock for the right price, put rocktite in forearm and butt and used rattle can paint and sponge to paint it then a couple coats of poly to seal it. The rifle weighted a little over 9 lbs with scope and loaded mag. I don't shoot much, just zero scope and use for deer hunting. Drive my side by side within couple hundred yards of stand so weight is not a problem for me. My plan is to swap barrels and use different calibers to hunt with as I like to change during the season. I would go a different route if I was a target shooter, but for my use its not worth the added expense to go to a Boyds stock and custom barrel. Last deer season I only fired one shot and killed a buck on opening morning, did not even shoot before season opened. Us old men are pretty careful walking and climbing in and out of stands and I use a rope to pull up and lower my rifle so its not banged around. All I'm saying is this works for me and may not work for anyone else.

Good luck and build what you want and use.

Wayne

Basic Member
    sounds like fun. wonder if they make a 300 blackout swap