Thread: 1st Generation Short Action Build

Question 1st Generation Short Action Build

Hey all,

I'm looking to do a build with a 1st Generation Short Action. Anyone have any experience on building on these actions? Is it worth it? Should I try to get a more modern action instead?

Thanks,
    Levi

2. 04-10-2017, 12:57 PM
    Reason
    Selling outside the classifieds

Nothing wrong with the 1st Gen actions, in fact the bolt lift on them is usually noticeably lighter than the newer ones. The only downside is you're selection of stocks will be greatly limited with that action. I know SSS and Stockade both make stocks to fit, but not sure if anyone else does anymore or not.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    Nothing wrong with the 1st Gen actions, in fact the bolt lift on them is usually noticeably lighter than the newer ones. The only downside is you're selection of stocks will be greatly limited with that action. I know SSS and Stockade both make stocks to fit, but not sure if anyone else does anymore or not.
    Okay yeah. That is the issue I am running into. I would like to use a Stock with an aluminum bedding block, but I can't find one for this action. Also, the barrel is marked "Savage 11" and not "Savage 110" which is interesting because I wasn't aware that there were and 1st gen Savage 11s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Praise the Lord for precision rifles!

Team Savage
    Got one that was built around the early to mid 70s? My favorite rifle. Started life as a heavy barreled .223 (110V) but has been just about everything since. My test bed rifle. I'd have to look but I think it might be a 6.8 SPC now?
    As far as finding a stock with those odd action measurements, there's only 1/4" difference. Move the front action screw hole in the forearm forward a bit and you're in business. I used a Whidden V Block for mounting my action. The blocks have adjustable pillar holes and can be moved forward and back to change length.
    I had a friend build me a couple of Custom Trim Washers (escutcheons) to cover the larger front hole. Matter of fact, they're on all my rifles. A little bling never hurt anybody.
    Scope mounts are also a PITA to find. I wanted a one piece mount with rear windage adjustment. Either too long or too short. All the holes wouldn't match up. There's a few two piece mounts that will fit. A couple of rails also. Trying to get all the holes to match is a real pain. Bought and returned a BUNCH of mounts trying to get one with the proper fit.
    Finally had a couple of new mounts cut and rewelded to make a one piece mount. Looks factory made.
    Only difference between the "J" series (as it's called) and the later short actions is the bolt body and firing pin length. Everything else is the same.
    Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 04-10-2017 at 10:03 PM. Reason: more info
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    I have 1 of those actions as well. It's a smokeless MZ at the present time. It's also been a 220 swift and a 243. I'm thinking it may turn into a 6mm Remington next!

Basic Member
    If you are considering a chassis I believe MDT's chassis line-up will accommodate that action. I know that my TAC-21 has an "Ob-round" plate/washer in the front action screw bolt hole that allows for the different spacing.