Thread: Savage 110 question

Basic Member

Savage 110 question

I am in the process of building a rifle in 6.5x57 Mauser, and have been debating on several different actions to serve as a donor. I initially planned on using an older Remington 700 BDL, but recently picked up an Interarms Mark X in .243...seems the Mauser action would be ideal for the old Mauser round. The more I think about it, though, the less I want to spend on what becomes just another hunting rifle in an already overloaded safe. Plus, having either action rebarreled gets fairly expensive quickly, so I have been considering other options.

Today, I came across an older Savage 110 in .308, with what appears to be an aftermarket synthetic stock (not the typical Savage tupperware) and lighter contour barrel. Looks like it would be the perfect donor, as I can simply rebarrel myself (once I locate the correct reamer). Question is, other than mag length, are there any other differences between the Savage 110 actions for long and short action cartrdges? The 6.5x57 is more of an intermediate length cartridge, and would be best served by a long action.

I already have 10x boxes of S&B 6.5x57 hunting ammo, just need to get a rifle together!

Banned
    Well, besides mag length, there’s also Bolt length. Both the Bolt head & sleeve. And the Firing pin & spring.

Your correct. It would be much better served in a Long Action. I wanted to do a 6.5-284 SOOO bad on the last build. But I knew I was going Short Action and wanted to use 10rd mags. I ended up doing a 260 Rem. Don’t get me wrong.. I LOVE my 260. And wouldn’t trade it for anything. But I would never limit things in building. Go with a Long Action for a 57mm casing cartridge..

Basic Member
    Maybe its just a misunderstanding on my part, but weren't the older 110 actions (pre Accutrigger) all one length (regardless if it was chambered in a short or long action cartridge)?

eta: I think the issue I will run into with this particular action is the "shelf" (if that's the correct word) will have to be milled out of the lower portion of the receiver to accommodate the longer internal box magazine, spring, and follower.

Your speaking of very old Savages that were long action but the mag well was cut for short action cartridges. Years ago (1996) I had a 223 that was built like that. I don't think you'll see many of those floating around any more.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    I'm pretty sure this is one of the older styles, I'll have to post a few pics (if I get the rifle). I've never milled one of these out before, not sure if its worth the effort or not...may be easier to find another rifle. That being said, its cheap enough that it could always be used for other projects.

If the bolt action screw is slotted, it is one of the old ones. I imagine the receiver could be milled for a longer cartridge using inline feed magazines/stocks.

Basic Member
    Bolt action screw?

Banned
    GaCop meant “Bolt Assembly Screw”.

Banned
    Old style BAS

New Style BAS:

Basic Member
    Makes sense.

I'm going to look at the rifle again on Monday, and probably pick it up. Now, I just need to find a barrel....any takeoff 6.5 CM or .260 small shank barrels out there? Seems like that would be the best option for reaming out to 6.5x57.

Basic Member
    Picked the rifle up this morning, here's the shelf...

Banned
    You’ll need to get it apart first to see if it’s feasible.

The 308 is a short action and the magazine as well as the slots to hang the magazine. You might end up seating the bullets deep for them to fit the magazine. I still think it is a nice rifle though. Just for short action cartridges. Consider the Creedmoor and walk away a happy man.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I have absolutely zero interest in a 6.5 CM.

Banned
    Or just single load the 6.5x57. You said you didn’t want just another hunting rifle. So, make it a single shot target rifle in the cartridge you clearly want.

Many here use a single shot for competition. And the 3-screw Target Action is a single shot. So why can’t a standard Action be?

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=jason280;501818]Maybe its just a misunderstanding on my part, but weren't the older 110 actions (pre Accutrigger) all one length ...?

The Accutrigger was released in 2003, the same year they changed from "flat top" at the rear of the receiver to "round top" (relevant if you plan to buy scope mounts). Savage made shorter-length receivers in 1959-1987 and 1999-present. Here's a good reference:
    https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...Action-Lengths

So, if your Savage has no Accutrigger it may still be a shorter-length action. But if it has an after-market barrel and stock it's possible it also has an after market trigger. Based only on these criteria, it may not be as old as you think.
    The two easiest things to do check how viable converting to a long-action cartridge may be is to measure the distance between the receiver screws and also check if the magazine is a stagger-feed or center-feed.

If the distance between receiver screws is 5.062" you have a long action. If it is shorter, than you have a short action. The URL above will help determine which generation of short action you have.

If you have a long action that was made after 2005, it's probably a center-feed magazine (which would be good news). Center-feed magazines can be found. If your action was made before 2005, it's probably a stagger-feed design. Stagger-feed magazines for Savages are difficult to impossible to find these days. Here's an article that describes the difference:
    https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...r-Stagger-feed

I believe you can convert a stagger-feed receiver and stock to center-feed, but that's another level of complexity to the conversion. I'll defer to the Savage Graybeards™ on that matter.

So those are two things you can check in short order. If you want to know precisely how your Savage left the factory so you can compare it to what you have, call Savage customer service and give them the serial number. They should sort you out.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Beowoulf2000;502089]
    Quote Originally Posted by jason280 View Post
    Maybe its just a misunderstanding on my part, but weren't the older 110 actions (pre Accutrigger) all one length ...?

The Accutrigger was released in 2003, the same year they changed from "flat top" at the rear of the receiver to "round top" (relevant if you plan to buy scope mounts). Savage made shorter-length receivers in 1959-1987 and 1999-present. Here's a good reference:
    https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...Action-Lengths

So, if your Savage has no Accutrigger it may still be a shorter-length action. But if it has an after-market barrel and stock it's possible it also has an after market trigger. Based only on these criteria, it may not be as old as you think.
    The two easiest things to do check how viable converting to a long-action cartridge may be is to measure the distance between the receiver screws and also check if the magazine is a stagger-feed or center-feed.

If the distance between receiver screws is 5.062" you have a long action. If it is shorter, than you have a short action. The URL above will help determine which generation of short action you have.

If you have a long action that was made after 2005, it's probably a center-feed magazine (which would be good news). Center-feed magazines can be found. If your action was made before 2005, it's probably a stagger-feed design. Stagger-feed magazines for Savages are difficult to impossible to find these days. Here's an article that describes the difference:
    https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...r-Stagger-feed

I believe you can convert a stagger-feed receiver and stock to center-feed, but that's another level of complexity to the conversion. I'll defer to the Savage Graybeards™ on that matter.

So those are two things you can check in short order. If you want to know precisely how your Savage left the factory so you can compare it to what you have, call Savage customer service and give them the serial number. They should sort you out.
    Its a Non Accutrigger, Long Action. The OP had another thread showing pictures here. That’s why it has that round block in the mag. To prevent the 308 from being lost in the longer magazine box. https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...ize-this-stock

Basic Member
    Lol! A lesson in thread spotting:)
    Nevermind.

Banned
    Oh, no biggie.. I only knew because I just replied to the other thread yesterday is all, LOL I’m a disabled loser who can’t do anything else, soooo.

You could modify the action by machining a longer magazine port. Inlet the stock for a center feed LA magazine and block it in place. Secure it in place with some epoxy. I could almost guarantee it has been done before. I might even have some pictures somewhere.... I mean it is about the cartridge you want not the one that would easily fit. Been there done that.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    GaCop meant “Bolt Assembly Screw”.

Thanks for the clarification Dave!