Thread: Bipod Installation Issue

jmvenable

Bipod Installation Issue

The bipod I chose to install uses the front swivel screw as its anchor. Unfortunately, my swivel screw is installed too deep, thus making the bipod adaptor unusable.

The fix is for the swivel screw to sit up higher, i.e., to back it out of the stock by a turn or two. BUT, the stock is synthetic. So I don't know if the screw is actually screwed into the stock or glued into the stock.

Can anyone shed some light on this issue? Savage doesn't seem to want to answer this question.

Thanks for any help, John

Basic Member
    Unscrew it, if it does not back out, it has a nut underneath.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Remove the action and look to see if there is a "T-Nut" embedded in the stock. If so just back out stud and replace with a thin washer or two that will hold the stud out far enough to fasten the bipod mount to it.

If there is NOT a nut embedded in the forend for the sling swivel this is a good time to install one. Kits available from Midway or Brownells but one can use a plain old hardware store T-Nut that fits the threads on the sling swivel if not one with wood screw threads.
    Dremel out a flat spot on the bottom of the barrel channel that will let the T-Nut fit without touching the barrel when the barreled action is installed in the stock. Apply some 5 Minute Epoxy to the bottom of the T-Nut and insert in prepared hole.
    Put some wax (candle wax works great) on the sling swivel threads and tighten with washers that hold the head of the stud in the right place.

Go shooting.

jmvenable
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot2 View Post
    Remove the action and look to see if there is a "T-Nut" embedded in the stock. If so just back out stud and replace with a thin washer or two that will hold the stud out far enough to fasten the bipod mount to it.

If there is NOT a nut embedded in the forend for the sling swivel this is a good time to install one. Kits available from Midway or Brownells but one can use a plain old hardware store T-Nut that fits the threads on the sling swivel if not one with wood screw threads.
    Dremel out a flat spot on the bottom of the barrel channel that will let the T-Nut fit without touching the barrel when the barreled action is installed in the stock. Apply some 5 Minute Epoxy to the bottom of the T-Nut and insert in prepared hole.
    Put some wax (candle wax works great) on the sling swivel threads and tighten with washers that hold the head of the stud in the right place.

Go shooting.
    Many thanks. I had hoped that Savage would deliver the definitive answer without having to break down the rifle, but such was not the case. Thanks for the tips.