Thread: Barrel brothers/Ragged hole barrels?

Basic Member

Barrel brothers/Ragged hole barrels?

What's the deal with this company and has anybody used them within the last week or two? Having an issue and was just wondering if anyone can shed some light on this company.

Thanks,

Frank

Basic Member
    Never used them, but I think they are a newer sponsor to the forum and they frequently read the posts, I'm sure you'll get a response soon. Have been thinking about ordering from them. Let us know how/if the issue is resolved to your satisfaction.

Basic Member
    Well, let me start by saying I am not posting this to bash anyone, just trying to resolve an issue. Without going into crazy detail, I won a barrel from Bookredsox775 (which is ragged hole barrels) on Ebay right around March 12th. The barrel was shipped on March 13th, but I didn't receive it until March 22nd. Turns out the barrel was damaged by the post office. I called John and he said to ship the barrel back and he would send me a new barrel. I had to pay the return shipping and I sent the barrel back on March 24th. According to the tracking, the barrel was delivered on March 27th. I sent John a text, stating the barrel was delivered and I just wanted him to confirm he got it back in one piece because of what originally happened. He sent me a text that night stating he received the barrel, it looked like the package was fine and that he would ship me out a new barrel Tuesday March 28th or Wednesday March 29. That was the last I heard from him. I have called, sent several texts and emails, but have gotten no response. I'm usually not the type to complain, but I'm now out the price of the barrel and the return shipping. The lack of communication is what really kills me. My only recourse at this point is to open a dispute with Ebay as well as Paypal. I didn't want to do that, but I have no other options.

Basic Member
    Never dealt with them.

I would suggest giving it a little more time. As you know, the gun business runs on its own time to start with, not to mention the fact that personal stuff also gets in the way too. If you're able to text, maybe call?

Good luck my friend. I bet it will work out. I know how frustrating it is.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    Never dealt with them.

I would suggest giving it a little more time. As you know, the gun business runs on its own time to start with, not to mention the fact that personal stuff also gets in the way too. If you're able to text, maybe call?

Good luck my friend. I bet it will work out. I know how frustrating it is.
    I totally understand how any business can get busy, especially the gun business, but I have called, sent several texts and emailed. All I want is some type of communication back. Just a simple update telling me what's going on. No response at this point is really unacceptable. I would like nothing more than for things to work out. I spoke with John once on the phone when this first happened and he seemed like a straight shooter.

Basic Member
    Agree. Communication seems to be treated as an art form these days that is often times lost.

Heck, you've only been out of contact for a little over a week. That's mere seconds in the gun world! Hahahahahahaha!

Banned
    I am a bit unsure on commenting like this, so if anyone feels its out of line let the moderator know and I will stand corrected.

I had some discison with them, the responder was very aggressive.

I don't care for that, defend your product is fine, but getting aggressive its a complete turn off to me.

They were chastised for running an on going advertisement. They changed it, but I also thought it was clearly out of line though they said they had not read the rules.

I appreciate the sponsors, but I think its better to ask first than jump in and assume.

Certainly not someone I would ever order a barrel from.

I contrast them to CBI that their version of customer service where they jump on a poor barrel and want it back and back now.

Basic Member
    I would give it a little more time, if nothing happens I would dispute the charges and get your money back. The few barrels I have bought came from Northland Shooters Supply and I have never heard anything negative about that outfit.

Basic Member
    Still optimistic and waiting on some sort of reply.

Basic Member
    I think there is a generation gap regarding communication. Seems like older folks i know go by honor of their word and the younger people are keen on routine and consistent communication, especially with the prevalence of technology which makes communication easier these days. Some say it once and live by it while others say it over n over and dont

Basic Member
    Well, just a quick update, I still haven't heard anything from BarrelBrothers/Ragged hole barrels. I was really hoping (since they are a site sponsor) that someone from their company would respond to my post. Wishful thinking on my part I guess.

If you need it now call NSS if you need it to have special attention...You wait.......

This is not an attack on the OP but for the many reading this looking to determine who should provide there next barrel.There are a lot of people that have needs that are easily met on the retail market but they read where other guys go to the small shop so they feel the need to do the same. I need it yesterday goes to the high volume retailers. High volume bogs the little guy down, increasing delivery times when the big guy with hundreds of barrels are in stock and who has reserved machine time to get what you need quick can provide the majority of everyone's needs.

Now everyone is complaining about how little guy can't put out 300 barrels a month. We need to be realistic in our expectations. Take a look at our needs including delivery times. If more people did this then we would see fewer post like this.

If the little guy is surfing the internet and answering hundreds of emails a day he can't be putting out barrels. I am betting that the Barrel bros increased their workload now that they have started using a more "popular" barrel maker.

Added: I am betting most of the newer gun owners have no idea of the work involved to get a barrel in correct alignment to thread and chamber. It is not a 10 minute process. Even if you are set up for it.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    If you need it now call NSS if you need it to have special attention...You wait.......

This is not an attack on the OP but for the many reading this looking to determine who should provide there next barrel.There are a lot of people that have needs that are easily met on the retail market but they read where other guys go to the small shop so they feel the need to do the same. I need it yesterday goes to the high volume retailers. High volume bogs the little guy down, increasing delivery times when the big guy with hundreds of barrels are in stock and who has reserved machine time to get what you need quick can provide the majority of everyone's needs.

Now everyone is complaining about how little guy can't put out 300 barrels a month. We need to be realistic in our expectations. Take a look at our needs including delivery times. If more people did this then we would see fewer post like this.

If the little guy is surfing the internet and answering hundreds of emails a day he can't be putting out barrels. I am betting that the Barrel bros increased their workload now that they have started using a more "popular" barrel maker.

Added: I am betting most of the newer gun owners have no idea of the work involved to get a barrel in correct alignment to thread and chamber. It is not a 10 minute process. Even if you are set up for it.
    As of right now, my issues seemed to be resolved with BarrelBrothers/Ragged Hole Barrels. Got a text from John today that he was called out of town and would ship the barrel out to me today. That is good enough for me.

I just wanted to reply to this post. I totally agree with what you posted, but that is not the case here. The barrel was a barrel "BLANK" that was offered through Ebay. I received the barrel damaged (by the post office) and sent it back for another one. I was waiting for my new barrel "BLANK" to be delivered and never heard anything. I'm doing all the machine work myself, so It's not a matter of waiting for a custom barrel to be threaded and chambered, it's more of a matter of taking a barrel off the shelf and putting it in a box and shipping it out. Doesn't really matter that it was a barrel, could have been anything that I won on Ebay. I just don't want people to get the wrong idea. Thanks for all the replies and I'm glad it all worked out. Once I get my barrel, I would have no problem ordering from them again and recommending them to my friends.

Banned
    What I do appreciate about Apaches is he states on his site that he does it his way and you have to take your chances on a slot.

Its pretty clear who you can recommend for a good barrel in a reasonable time and that will communicate.

My take is this is a transaction not a social occasion and I expect it to be done in the timeline stated or a response why.

Others feel differently and that is fine. We do need to know going in which one it is.

NSS did a fine job for me and while I did have issues I clearly caused them, not anything they did. That's on me and I continue to heartily endorse them.

Basic Member

Glad you got a response. I am dealing with a freight damage issue on a custom action right now so I feel your pain. How in the world they can break a chunk of steel is beyond me. Fortunately it's a Borden and you deal with the man himself and immediately. A lesson to us all in CS.

If I'm not mistaken Ragged Hole is using Wilson barrels? I have a Wilson on a .300 BLK. It's a decent shooter. I believe a good barrel can make up for a less than perfect chamber job.

Banned
    I too am taken aback that you can bend a barrel. Sheese. I mean I know you can but what does it take, put it on a coule of piced of wood and run it over with a front end loader?

We used to see the baggage guys on the pipeline bend up tool boxes.

So the mechanics welded their own tool boxes, 1/8 plate, they still bend them.

I assumed they just felt challenged when they saw one. People tend to get a bit abnormal when isolated in the far North.

Basic Member
    Just wanted to update this post. I received my barrel today and everything looks good and I'm really glad everything worked out.

Advertiser
    This thread was just brought to my attention - don't want to beat a dead horse but... I do remember the barrel you won on eBay - I have no control what the shipping company does and they did scratch the barrel up pretty good!! It took me about 10 mins of polishing to get the deep scratches out. I'm glad to hear the second barrel made it safely and hope it is shooting well for you!

As far as lack of communication - I am a bit puzzled... I told you I would send another barrel. Granted it was sent out about a week after receiving the return. We typically ship the next day. Most Savage and Remage prefit barrels take about 3-6 WEEKS to finish and ship. We are just (2) computer illiterate Gunsmiths that seem to move 1,000+ barrels every year. Sometimes we get a little backed up. Just look at some of the posts on another gunsmith - seems many are still waiting for a barrel after 1-2 years!! I'm usually pretty good about returning texts and phone calls - emails I can be a little slower... But I usually respond in a matter of days.

The only thing I do want to say is if you do buy a barrel (blank; prefit; or any product) from us we offer a money back guarantee! I think the OP can confirm that we stand behind our barrels and our work... Considering our prices and the quality of a Wilson Arms barrel - it makes sense that more than a few other Gunsmiths buy 5-10 barrels from us per month.

We have a new listing for prefit barrels on the site advertising page and we typically have over 150+ barrels in stock. Sometimes we are sold out of a certain caliber so feel free to contact us about current inventory. We do have a revolving 100+ barrels being sent to us from Wilson every month.

I know we are the unknown shop using an "unknown" Wilson Arms barrel but for those of you who have NEVER used a Wilson barrel - how can you have any opinion on something you have never used? For those of you that are curious about the quality of a Wilson Arms barrel - they are button pulled, lapped and air gauged (.0002) and typically hold 1/2 MOA to 5/600 yards. The Wilson Arms barrels we use are the exact same quality as Cooper Rifles use... We all know the Cooper rifles shoot!! The Wilson Arms barrels are as good as any button pulled rifled barrel out there. Just 50-150 bucks less... Keep in mind the Wilson Arms barrels are less expensive because we HAVE to buy in volume. We simply pass the discounted price on to the end shooter.

Basic Member

Time for a New Years’ resurrection here.

I’m on my second barrel from John. The first is a LV .308 I chambered for old school budget - built .30-338. It’s an honest 3/4” gun which is fine with me...cherry picked clover - leafs which happens from time to time excluded. Steel at 750yds is boring with it...for fun not for plastic trophies. Probably more potential than that with a competent smith doing the work. It machined beautifully. Received in Alaska within 10 days from order to delivery.

I ordered another one about 3 weeks ago...ultralight in 6.5 for my wife and sons rifle build that I’m trying to lighten up. John contacted me within 12 hours and let me know it was out of stock but not for long. Offered to refund me if I didn’t wanna wait. I held out, got shipping notice yesterday.

I’ve never spoken with him but all my e-contact has been well replied to.

Hope the second one is as good as the first. I’ll report when I get it going. I see he also does Savage prefits. Seems like a decent market for that. Maybe we’ll see a premium cut-rifled prefit some day...or maybe already out there.

Team Savage
    Gbflyer,
    I'm sure the new one will be great. I have three of their barrels now. 2 prefits and one barrel blank that I chambered. All of them clean easy and shoot better than my ability. I am fortunate enough to have a private range with metal out to 1200 pretty much year round. All three of these rifles can hit that plate when I do my part!