Thread: Just how bad is the stock?

Cowboy2

Just how bad is the stock?

I'm probably going to order a heavy barrel mark II in the next week or so. Is the composite stock bad like the centerfires used to be, or are they worse. I have no plans to sling up, but it would be nice if it didn't flex like crazy. I know you can upgrade later, but if it's really bad, I may be inclined to just order the laminated stock model and just be done with it.

Thoughts?

Basic Member
    From everything I've read here and at Rimfire Central, you would probably be more happy with the laminate stock.

I agree with Kilroy. Synthetic stocks are good for putting on a Brush gun, a truck gun, or just a pack it around hunting gun. It will keep you in the 1-1.5 MOA accuracy for the 100-200 yard typical hunting shots, but if you want anything more than that, you have to go laminate or even upgrade to a chassis to get the precision... just my opinion though... others may have a different belief or experience.

Basic Member
    The only problem that I have with the laminated BTV stock is I can't get a good cheek weld while using a scope. I switched it out with a Rhineland Leopard stock with adjustable cheek rest.

MKii's tupperware stocks are no different than any other Savage stocks... for the field they're fine, but essentially pretty crappy if you're attempting to bench shoot.

I picked up a MKii TRR-SR that comes with a Boyd's style laminate stock, and it is world's above my standard MKii stock. But... even with the higher comb, the cheek weld was still way too low even with low profile rings, so I picked up a VooDoo Tactical velcro cheek rest and cut a piece of 1" pipe insulation to go under it... perfect cheek weld for less than $20.

Cowboy2
    Thanks for all the input. I think I'll go ahead and bite the bullet and get the laminate. Tough call, though. I can't complain about the predator and Sav 243 I have in synthetic, but then, I glass bedded them, which is probably more work than I want to do on a .22. Now, if it was the flimsy thing that came on the Model 12 308 varmint rifle I bought 10 years ago, it'd be an easy call. That thing flexed just from being looked at wrong.

PeterRocco
    Hello
    I Hope you can Help Me? What Torque Inch Pounds do you Torque the Action Screws? I Just Installed a DIP Mag Plate and their Trigger Guard.
    Thank You
    Peter

valvestem
    I posted the answer yesterday in another thread. The action screw torque is 15 inch pounds, this is from the factory.

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.