Thread: Trying to figured out a scope for my 11 VT.

Trying to figured out a scope for my 11 VT.

Shooting a .308 Model 11 with a factory 24" barrel.

Looking at the following

10x42
    12x42
    16x42

It will be used for a mix of various distances for both hunting and target shooting..
    It would be zeroing at 100 yds.

Thoughts?

Basic Member
    16x would be hard as a hunting mag for anything but a measured methodical shot. Even 10x would be hard for a quick close shot.

Basic Member
    Various distances is kinda general. Could be 50 yds. Could be 1000 yds. Can you narrow it down a little? More hunting or more target? Hunting what? Deer/antelope or woodchucks/PD's?

Basic Member
    personally i would consider a variable power scope something in a 3-15x or 4-16x for your application. you get lower power for close in shots and higher power for further distances without sacrificing much if anything. my 308 win 11VT sports a 6.5-20x50 30mm leupold VX3 with fine duplex reticle. but i don't hunt and i built it for paper punching and gongs at distance and could not be happier with it. this is my first big boy bolt action build all my others are rimfire builds.

Last edited by lone gunman; 07-09-2017 at 01:45 AM. Reason: photo bucket sucks

Quote Originally Posted by WV1951 View Post
    Various distances is kinda general. Could be 50 yds. Could be 1000 yds. Can you narrow it down a little? More hunting or more target? Hunting what? Deer/antelope or woodchucks/PD's?
    50 yds out to at the most maybe 350 yds.
    Mostly target then some deer hunting.

Thought about a variable, but wanted to keep it simple.

Quote Originally Posted by lone gunman View Post
    personally i would consider a variable power scope something in a 3-15x or 4-16x for your application. you get lower power for close in shots and higher power for further distances without sacrificing much if anything. my 308 win 11VT sports a 6.5-20x50 30mm leupold VX3 with fine duplex reticle. but i don't hunt and i built it for paper punching and gongs at distance and could not be happier with it. this is my first big boy bolt action build all my others are rimfire builds.

Nice set up.

Pretty much what I had in mind for a stock upgrade and bipod,

Basic Member
    Once you decide on the power, then comes the part of how much you can put into it.

Basic Member
    thank you!

i like it for what it is, my first attempt at a long range rifle. but it may change in the future i don't know for now it does everything i want. the longest i can shoot out to locally is 600 yards and its great for that. if you want part numbers for the trigger guard and bolt handle etc. you could look at my post on it ?

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...-6-5-20x50-MOA

good luck on your build and have fun with it!

Basic Member
    I would suggest the primary arms 4-14x44 FFP, I have had one for a few years and it has always exceeded my expectations. You can't beat it for the price.

Basic Member
    If your considering a fix power, SWFA SS in 10x or 16x for $299. Have owned both. They work well with good glass and great warranty. They are mil-dot but not hard to learn. If ou have any thought of 1000 yards, get the 16x. Otherwise, a good 4-16 power will serve you well. What is your budget?
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Thank everyone.

Sleeper99, 4-14 is what I was thinking for a variable power scope.

bearcatp, I don't really have a cap, but being frugal, about $300-$400 for a scope is where I'll be.

Basic Member
    The SWFA will fit your budget. If you get it, get the mil-dot app for your phone. Sweet ballistics app for mi-dot.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Team Savage
    The Sightron S-TAC 3-16x42 is an excellent scope with great glass, side focus, target turrets and excellent tracking for under $400. I keep it simple with a duplex reticle. Once have your ballistic data. Range find target yardage. Dial in the number of clicks and shoot.

Might try the Falcon Optics M18+ 4-18x44 FFP model.

Now I'm looking at Primary Arms.......................

Basic Member
    just so you know primary arms scopes for being made in china have a big following on an AR15 web site i hang out on. i don't own any and have never looked through one but people really seem to like them. i have however bought a ton of stuff from them over the years and they do back their products up and have great customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by lone gunman View Post
    just so you know primary arms scopes for being made in china have a big following on an AR15 web site i hang out on. i don't own any and have never looked through one but people really seem to like them. i have however bought a ton of stuff from them over the years and they do back their products up and have great customer service.
    Arfcom?

Seen a lot of good things over there regarding Primary Arms.

Basic Member
    If you are on a budget, I would go primary arms 4-14x for a variable power or SWFA fixed 10x. I have owned both and they are both great value scopes that will fit your requirements. If you can wait until fall and save a little more I would try to get in on SWFA's Black Friday sale. They always do 20% off their branded scopes. Then you could get into the SWFA 3-15x42. This will run you about $550 on sale, and you won't regret it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RBMIII View Post
    Arfcom?

Seen a lot of good things over there regarding Primary Arms.
    yep, i hang out there a lot and have bought some Steiner and meopta meostar scopes because of recommendations there.