Thread: New Axis first range test

Basic Member

New Axis first range test

I took my new Axis for a test run today, 50 yards with inexpensive ammo. American Eagle 55 gr FMJ.

First shot was on the target and I turned the turret the wrong way, couldn't see the next four hits due to my trying to figure out how to focus the scope.

I managed to focus the **** thing and had to sight it in on the top target with the first shot and then grouped the next four.. second one on the bottom was my third five shot group.

The last target, the middle was with the AE 55 gr FMJ and the four on the corners were with Win Super X 55 gr Jacketed soft point.

All in all, I'm happy with the rifle's performance today, the only issue was the scope had no more rearward adjustment, so I was stretching my neck out to get the right eye relief, ordered a one piece Weaver rail, arrived this afternoon.

Basic Member
    It was pointed out to me by a buddy that we were at the 50 yard line, not 25. I corrected it.

jfowler99
    i did the same thing with the one piece rail. makes a huge differance!

Basic Member
    Thanks jfowler99, I ordered a Weaver classic in matte finish #506, will be installing this and changing the scope in a day or two. I really like this rifle so far, awesome shooter.

jfowler99
    I put an Athlon Optics 4-12x40 BDC illuminated retical on mine. I love it. Its nice and clear. I also bought a rifle basicx trigger. it took out all the over travel and has almost to travel before it actually fires. Adjusted the pull weight to right about 2 pounds. Its so much nice. I've had mine since december and slowly add a few things instead of one all up front cost lol. What caliber are you shooting. Mine a 30-06.

Basic Member
    That's a good scope, the BDC is a nice feature to have, is it the one with the side focus knob? Mine is 223, a shoulder injury prevents me from shooting larger calibers on a regular basis. All I have at the moment is a Center Point 3-9x32 with a Mil-Dot illuminated reticle on one of my other rifles, that will have to do for the time being. I will also be getting a few upgrades in the future when I can afford them. I did a trigger job myself after watching/reading a bunch of how to's, I already had the parts on hand, works very well now around 3 1/2 pounds. I also stiffened the stock front with a carbon fiber arrow and epoxy, the but has a 12" aluminum gutter spike and half filled with epoxy, and the trigger guard permanently fixed with super glue.

I welded together a 14" drill bit and drilled from the front all the way under the recoil lug into the trigger housing cavity. then put two sections of CF arrow in.

I fixed them in place with epoxy putty, and filled some of the front sections with Devcon epoxy.

The same drill bit was used to make a hole in the but stock just above the square hole where the trigger guard peg fits, glued the trigger guard in place and placed a 12" aluminum gutter spike in the hole and half filled the but stock with epoxy.

I also sanded the barrel channel a little, so a business card could easily slide all the way back between the stock and barrel, the whole stock seems to be more stable and you have to squeeze pretty hard to get the barrel to touch, no problem shooting from a bipod or bags.

Basic Member
    Now that is a simple and effective method with clear pics.
    Attn. Mr. Furious.
    How about a sticky so we won't get 45 questions in the next twelve months on how to stiffen an Axis stock?

I don't sticky things, I make them into articles.

Nothing more annoying (to me) than having the first half or 3/4 of the first page in a forum loaded up with stickies. Two's my max - if stuff's important enough to sticky, someone should be willing to write up a decent and detailed enough post and include a good photo or two to make it a short how-to or FAQ article.

Basic Member
    Thanks for looking. Maybe Cayman will want to do this.

Basic Member
    Thank you MrFurious for taking the time and effort to post the article.
    There are quite a few different methods showing how to do this mod, without them I would not have had the wisdom and experience of others to fall back on, a big thanks to all the members who have shared their mods.
    When my budget permits, an upgraded stock will be on order.

Not a problem. Everybody and their brother who's purchased an Axis has tried to find different ways to stiffen up the factory stock, but there is no end all/cure all fix.

Basic Member
    After the mods, the patched holes in the front were clearly visible like two nostrils, so I decided a paint job on the stock was in order, I used what I had and after a light sanding first a coat of Flat Black, then using some home made paper/card templates a few light passes with Gray auto primer to make a pattern, I then used plastic from a soda bottle to make stencils with thin pattern lines to spray more of the gray with a little heavier coat for accents.

It's not the best Camo job, but it got a few compliments at the range, and I'm happy with it.