Thread: Axis .243 HB Boyd Featherweight Fit question

kylegmoore71

Axis .243 HB Boyd Featherweight Fit question

Hello!

I am upgrading my daughters hunting rifle. I just did the trigger upgrade, bought a Vortex Crossfire II 6-18, and picked up a boyds featherweight thumbhole stock. I was a little concerned because the fit seems a bit off to me.

Does anyone have an issue with their safety not covering the red dot on their stock when the safety is on? In order for me to get the action to drop in and fit right, it feels like its a touch too far forward, and if I pull it back enough to cover the red dot, the bolt doesn't line up. It seems to work just fine, other than the barrel not being free float, and my OCD being bothered by the exposed red dot.

Am I being picky?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kylegmoore71 View Post
    Hello!

I am upgrading my daughters hunting rifle. I just did the trigger upgrade, bought a Vortex Crossfire II 6-18, and picked up a boyds featherweight thumbhole stock. I was a little concerned because the fit seems a bit off to me.

Does anyone have an issue with their safety not covering the red dot on their stock when the safety is on? In order for me to get the action to drop in and fit right, it feels like its a touch too far forward, and if I pull it back enough to cover the red dot, the bolt doesn't line up. It seems to work just fine, other than the barrel not being free float, and my OCD being bothered by the exposed red dot.

Am I being picky?
    No, you aren't. I just dropped my Savage Axis in .223 Remington into the same stock. The safety wouldn't fully engage. It would slide back, but if I pulled the trigger hard enough, the safety would disengage. I had to open up the rear-most opening of the stock and shim it to raise the safety high enough to clear the stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check the rear most part of the trigger is not sitting on the stock I added an overtravel screw and had the same problem because the relief In the stock was not deep enough

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

kylegmoore71
    I'm assuming the overtravel screw was a part of the trigger kit? Was it a thumb screw or regular,(flatter head screw)? Thanks, I'll take a look when I get home

This screw in the picture was the one giving me problems till I cut a relief in the stock

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmracer358 View Post

This screw in the picture was the one giving me problems till I cut a relief in the stock

I did the same thing. The trigger job worked out well.

Quote Originally Posted by andyknaster View Post
    I did the same thing. The trigger job worked out well.

When I did this mod the stock would not even allow the striker to stay back it would return home with the bolt closing

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmracer358 View Post
    When I did this mod the stock would not even allow the striker to stay back it would return home with the bolt closing

The only problem I had was with the safety. I did notice that the bolt was also slightly touching the stock. I took a washer from a washing machine houset and cut it to fit in the channel just behind the black block that the rear of the magazine latches onto.