Thread: Need Help Finding Stock for 116 FHSS

Need Help Finding Stock for 116 FHSS

I have searched extensively on this site and others to try and find an aftermarket stock for my 116FHSS Weather Warrior, 7mm Rem Mag, hinged floorplate, center feed, bottom bolt release, and am coming up with a big goose egg.

I thought I found what I was looking for in the Bell and Carlson Savage Sporter, Model #1017, but I emailed B&C and they replied that they don't make a stock for a hinged floorplate. I asked if they had a stock that would work with minor tweaks and they just sent a spec sheet for their stocks.

If anyone has any suggestions for a stock that will be a drop in fit or work with minor tweaking, I'd really appreciate you sharing them with me. I like everything about that B&C 1017 -material, weight, bedding block, shape, price- and would like to find something similar, but at this point I'm exploring any and all stock options.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to spend their time helping me with this.

I forgot to add that I sent these pics to B&C so they could see the bottom metal I have. I was hoping to hear that it would work (based on some things I've read here) but they say no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please don't tell my 116FHSS in 338 that the 1017 won't work, it's been wearing it for over a year.
    You will need to put a standard recoil lug on it though, the AccuStock recoil lug is too narrow to provide proper contact in the B&C. Everything else was a direct drop-in with no modifications necessary.
    Last edited by Hotolds442; 03-27-2017 at 10:43 PM.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Thanks Hotolds442! I wonder why B&C doesn't think their stocks will work with a hinged floorplate model? They seemed certain it wouldn't. Almost talked me out of buying one of their stocks.

I'll have to give this some more thought if it involves replacing the recoil lug. That might be an adventure that's over my head.

I'd like to hear their reasoning as well.
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

wannakillabigbull
    If it makes you feel any better, I found B&C customer service to be poor. I tried ordering a 1017 for my 116 TH 30-06 and they were certain I wouldn't need additional bottom metal pieces from savage. I asked three different times and was told I didn't need more parts. Turns out they were wrong. They make great stocks but they seemed understaffed and like their customer service representatives didn't know the stocks all that well. Good luck! The 1017 is a great stock!

Need Help Finding Stock for 116 FHSS

Wannakillabigbull-
    Do I understand correctly that you had to buy addition bottom metal to use your 116 with the B&C 1017? Does TH stand for Trophy Hunter? I wonder if the trophy hunters have different floor plates than on my weather warrior?

Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    Please don't tell my 116FHSS in 338 that the 1017 won't work, it's been wearing it for over a year.
    You will need to put a standard recoil lug on it though, the AccuStock recoil lug is too narrow to provide proper contact in the B&C. Everything else was a direct drop-in with no modifications necessary.
    Did you have to modify the stock at all to get it to fit?
    Do you think it's possible to just bed the lug instead of replacing?
    Thanks for the help!

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/FindA...=A32&Action=4C

You might have some luck with one of these? However, it does appear that you would have to convert it to a DBM... Savage can maybe help you with the new bottom metal for the conversion.

everything else should work for you though.

EDIT: After looking at your bottom metal, It looks very similar to the bottom metal I had to order for my 111 TH (trophy Hunter) when I ordered the Pro Varmint for my rifle. So, maybe you would be able to tweak it a little to accommodate the bottom metal you already have.

Basic Member
    HFP and DBM have the same inlet.
    Slight modifications, sanding and filing, may always be needed but the inlet is virtually the same.
    INFERNO

Quote Originally Posted by clintsrv View Post
    HFP and DBM have the same inlet.
    Slight modifications, sanding and filing, may always be needed but the inlet is virtually the same.
    Thanks! I had read that in several threads but between all the variations in savage bottom metal styles and B&C telling me that their 1017 spotter stock would not work with a hinged floorplate, I was really second guessing if ordering one was worth the risk.

I guess now I just need to make up my mind about which color....

That's the part that B&C doesn't realize. Same inlet.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Thanks again to everyone who provided me info about this stock.

I ordered a B&C 1017 and it arrived today. It seemed to be a drop in fit just like Hotolds442 said it would be, except that the rear screw for the trigger guard does not hold. The screw is a course thread screw and in that area of the stock is only foam; not substantial enough for the screw to gain a solid purchase and hold. Trying to screw it in had the effect of auguring a threadless hole in the stock.

So my new new question for the wise SavageShooters are:
    Has anyone else dealt with this rear trigger guard screw issue and if so what solution worked for you?
    Should I float the rear tang or shoot it first and see how it does as is?
    Should I find someone to change or bed the recoil lug or shoot it first and see how it does?

Thanks in advance.

What I intend to do to my stock is this: Drill a 1/4" hole where the rear screw goes into the stock and then fill it with Devcon. This will give the screw something solid to attach to.
    As for your other questions: Shoot it as is. Get a baseline so that you can see the effects that later changes make. If it's not satisfactory, float the rear tang. Savage rifles seem to perform better with the tang floated. Regardless of how it shoots, I'd definitely bed the recoil lug at some point in time.

Basic Member
    I don't think I have the rear TG screw in any of the Savage rifles I own. My solution then to that would be to just not use it.
    You could bed some type of insert threaded for a small pan head bolt.
    You could also WB Weld or any epoxy that can be drilled and tapped after it's cured.

My opinion on the last 2 questions is to go shoot it.
    INFERNO