Thread: 110 fcp hs 338 lapua

blacdog06

110 fcp hs 338 lapua

just picked up a smoking deal on a savage 110 fcp hs in 338 lapua, looking for some info like good bad on the rifle. anyone have one they can tell me how well they shoot or any issues?

mainly gonna be a range toy. not a hunter so will mainly be used up to 500 yards, might see some longer shoots. any info on these rifles will greatly be appreciated!

Basic Member
    I have a 110 BA. My barrel would sling the first round or 2 then tighten up. I rebarreled with a Shilen.
    Biggest issue I see is your way over gunned for an inside 500 yard range toy. That's just my opinion. I hope you reload or the cool factor will wear out fast lol

I just picked up the same rifle and put the first twenty rounds through it today. So far, so good. After barrel break in I'm going to work up a load with 300 gr Nosler custom comp match bullets (.800 BC) and Retumbo. Check out this review on YouTube by nutnfancy:

https://youtu.be/5ivnXKuD19o

It put me over the top to buy this rifle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I went to the range with mine yesterday. Look in the reloading section for my info. Its a sweet rifle. As was posted above, way over kill for 500 yards. After your punching holes at 500 yards with ease, you will get that itch for 1000, then 1 mile. Ammo is extremely expensive so if your not reloading, start.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

If you're an experienced rifle shooter then you'll like your new rifle. If this is your first Magnum bolt gun you might not enjoy it as much, especially if you don't handload your own ammo.

The rifle being not very light and with that effective muzzle brake, the recoil is no more than a 308 hunting rifle.

The scope rail will come loose sooner or later so check it for play frequently. Once the rail gets loose, use blue or red locktite and tighten a little more than the recommended, somewhere in the 30 INCH-lbs (2.5 foot pounds). If you don't have a torque wrench like the Wheeler Fat Max, by hand feel is good enough just don't go very hard and keep in mind those are small screws, and not wheel lug nuts !

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero333 View Post
    If you're an experienced rifle shooter then you'll like your new rifle. If this is your first Magnum bolt gun you might not enjoy it as much, especially if you don't handload your own ammo.

The rifle being not very light and with that effective muzzle brake, the recoil is no more than a 308 hunting rifle.

The scope rail will come loose sooner or later so check it for play frequently. Once the rail gets loose, use blue or red locktite and tighten a little more than the recommended, somewhere in the 30 INCH-lbs (2.5 foot pounds). If you don't have a torque wrench like the Wheeler Fat Max, by hand feel is good enough just don't go very hard and keep in mind those are small screws, and not wheel lug nuts !
    I completely agree with you and before anyone screams about red Loctite it can be removed with heat from a heat gun so its not permanent. 290 green wicking is a different story.

Like you I too got a smoking deal and had to fight the seller to keep his end of the auction but would've understood if he didn't. He listed the Stealth 338 on GB for the same buy it now price as the 300 win so I hit the buy it now button :-) God is good!!!

blacdog06
    yeah im a seasoned shooter have been taking long range shooting classes for year now. yeah I know ammo price isn't cheap but like said wont see many range trips a year so ammo not a worry. was mainly wondering if any issues or concerns of these rifles. mainly a Remington guy, I know don't crucify me

Don't worry. We might have nuts on our barrels, in our brains and between our legs, but we don't dislike other gun manufacturers.

Basic Member
    I found my pet load with H-1000 using 91.8 gr for my top load but settling with 89.8 gr for shooting 1000 yards.

blacdog06
    gotta ask does anyone know why extra mags are so **** high for these!! good lord over $100 for one 5 round stamped sheet metal mag is ridiculous!!

Basic Member
    For that price, I will stay with one magazine. Thats nuts. Paid 60 bucks for a 10 round mag for my 10T 308, which only holds 9 rounds. Switched the chassis so can use AICS mags now.

Basic Member
    I bought an extra 5 round AI mag for mine. $80. Can find the AI mags lots of places for this price. This is for 338 LM CIP