Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying to do a build for a an elk hunt this fall.

Basic Member

Trying to do a build for a an elk hunt this fall.

New to the site, but I come seeking knowledge.

I have come up in the month of February with an elk hunt for mid-November.

I would like to use a .338-06 AI, and I have my arms around the idea of using a 116 Weather Warrior in 30-06 as the donor, and am searching to find a barrel company that can make me a quality stainless steel 24" barrel to fit that rifle by June/July. I keep wanting to call Pac Nor, as I have had very good luck on a couple of other wildcats I have built in single barrel rifles with their products, but work gets in the way in the day time and have been constrained with care for elderly parents.

Reading and learning about the methods of changing the barrels out and the tools required. I think I understand the considerations of setting the headspace for the AI cartridge, and am comfortable in caseforming and reloading.

Does my choice of donor rifles make sense, and if Pac Nor is not able to meet the time constraint is ER Shaw my only other option?

Team Savage
    Check with Northland Shooters supply ,great service & prices
    plus you can buy the tools you will need from them

Drybean has it right. I'm on the 3rd barrel order from Northland. Quality outfit to work with.

Basic Member
    Thanks guys!

Banned
    Are you going to get the Gauges for this?

That would be my only concern as you don't have factory brass non fired as a baseline.

Fully agreed with NSS. Jim is solid on the orders and checks when they ship to him. Shilen has the 30-06 AI.

Frankly I would just go with 30-06, with the powders now there is not much improvement in an AI of that caliber.

On the other hand this is from the guy that is getting a 7.5 Swiss barrel so.......... I understand the interest in something different.

I did a mis set headspace on my 06 Pencil barrel. I had the gauges and somehow still got it wrong and I was being careful. Not by a lot but enough non OEM cases were not all firing. That was with Go and No go, not just the Go.

Basic Member
    RC20 I am looking at a .338-06 AI, not 30-06 AI, and yes I plan on getting gauges for the build.

Basic Member
    If I am reading everything correctly, the 16/116 FCSS WEATHER WARRIOR 30-06 is a small shank?

Can I safely chamber a shall shank barrel to the .338-06 AI round??

X-caliber barrels are a new one that has been mentioned a few times in various threads over the last few months.... They seem to have pretty good reviews as well. They may be another option for you if Shilen or Criterion is running too far out.

I ordered my 260 rem match barrel from Northland in December 2016 and I'm still waiting on delivery...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Worriedman50 View Post
    RC20 I am looking at a .338-06 AI, not 30-06 AI, and yes I plan on getting gauges for the build.

Brain Zark

If I am reading everything correctly, the 16/116 FCSS WEATHER WARRIOR 30-06 is a small shank?

This is a very good question.... I'm not 100% sure, but I believe you should be able to... The Large Shank is usually reserved for the Magnum cartridges... Being that you plan on a 338-06 it should work. If you said 338 LM then I would say no.

Hopefully someone else will chime in who knows for sure or who has done the process already.

Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    The Large Shank is usually reserved for the Magnum cartridges...

Hopefully someone else will chime in who knows for sure or who has done the process already.
    Everything on a target action, LRPV or LRP and even the early BA stealth is large shank.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member

Yes!
    I have a 338-06 on a Shilen Varmit contour small shank barrel.

Basic Member
    Thank you!

Basic Member
    You only need to worry about your shank diameter if your case diameter is large, similar to 300 wsm. There is a rule of thumb that I cannot remember at the moment that tells the minimum barrel diameter vs case diameter. Since 30-06 is a small shank case and you are limited to 30-06 case pressures you are safe using a small shank action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I think ai stuff is cool and all, but I wouldn't just overlook a 338winmag

Banned
    You are getting very short on time for ordering a barrel.

If its a standard contour (heavy hunter) you may find one, anything a bit different (varmint, bull) and probably not

I would not put a barrel on a gun that was not at least Heavy Hunter.

338-06 AI may be odd enough none out there and its 2 to 4 months on an order.

someone with a 338 blank could fab one but again you have to get in line.

Basic Member
    Barrel is ordered (and yes odd enough that it has to be chambered for that round), go and no go gauges in route, dies in hand.

Not sure I understand your point about the Hunter model, the Weather Warrior is sold in .338 Win Mag, if it can manage to stand that round the .338-06 AI is tamer, so it should be OK?

Banned
    Not Hunter Model, Heavy Hunter Profile. Ergo, Light weight hunter (ugh) Heavy Hunter Profile (what we used to think of as of and expect as a normal barrel) then Varmint (almost a bull) and then then Bull which is a true bull profile.

All Savage speak.

Others have different names. The light weight hunter profile is generally referred to as a Pencil Barrel and for good reason. I have no use for them (well a sheep hunt and the First Shot goes exactly same spot each time)

Most people won't do a rare hunt with a odd caliber. You can't get ammo for it.

I know you stock up, but I ran into it years back myself. I thought I had plenty of 7mm loaded up and in the scramble it was not until the day before we left I went to dig that out.

None, nada. &^%. Big yearly hunt for us, piss ant for others but it was our once a year get out.

Ok, break out the reloading gear (stashed away, moves, not room etc) and still not ready to go or go to the store.

Off to the store, two boxes in case it did not sight in well, off to the range. Dang, not bad, couple of miner adjustments and home and finish packing.

Worse is you get there and its lost.

So make sure you have lots, pack it in a couple different places.

And I hope it goes well. I hope to get a shot at an Elk some day myself, I do have relatives that do that though it would be quite a trip. Good news is they know about the bad back and why I could not pack it myself.

Me, I will take a 30-06 or use one of their guns.

I might take the 7.5 Swiss! I can still use one of their backup guns.

Worried man,

When you ordered your barrel, did you order one that NSS had is stock? If you had to have it made, you may not get it in time.

I ordered mine in December 2016 (with a lead time of 10-16 weeks). It was supposed to be finished mid April (after being pushed back again). Just found out yesterday that I'm now pushed back until the end of May (5 months). Not trying to send any bad jooojoo or anything, but wanted you to be thinking about a back up plan just in case.

Basic Member
    Ordered Barrel form Pac Nor. Have had very good luck with them in the past, but as always, I have laid hands on a Ruger .338 Win Mag in case my other build does not pan out, one can not have too many rifles...

I shoot a lot of "Different" calibers, a favorite being a .25 X .307 Encore, ammo is not a problem for me, I make all my own, and enjoy working up the rounds for what i need a specific rifle to do.

Basic Member
    I've found Pac Nor to do exactly what they say they'll do. I have a select match they chambered for me in .308 Obermeyer. It cleans up slick and shoots very well. It was produced in 8 weeks, as promised.

Basic Member
    Best barrel I've ever shot came from pac-nor. May have been a one time thing, but the barrel shot well

Basic Member
    My first ever wildcat was a .25 X .307 stub barrel Encore done on a Pac Nor, it shoots ridiculous small groups. Everything gathered, waiting on the barrel.

Team Savage
    I think the 270 or 06 would be a better choice..However I did have a 30 338 for shooting 190 gr sierra
    at 1000 yards years ago..But I think your going into over kill with this project...Good luck with your
    build if you go thru with it..

Basic Member
    A 300 Win Mag or a 7 Rem Mag either one will do the job ver handily.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast