Thread: March 29th Vietnam Veterans Day

March 29th Vietnam Veterans Day

USAF/RET 1966-1990
    Aim High

President Trump has signed into power, marking today!

http://fox43.com/2017/03/29/its-offi...-veterans-day/
    USAF/RET 1966-1990
    Aim High

Umm...why? Was the existing all inclusive Veterans Day (Nov. 11th) not good enough for Vietnam vets? I suppose now we're going to need a specific day for each and every other war the U.S. was involved in over the past 240+ years, because to not have them would be discrimination against those vets, right?

Banned
    Vietnam is often called "The Forgotten War". And it is the only US conflict in which the troops came home greeted with hate & protest, not love & respect. They were spit on, cursed at. Even family members at time were disgusting. My fathers older sister was hateful towards him for years after he came home. Called him baby killer and such. And the government didn't stand behind them all the time. I don't see any problem marking a day aside from the rest. I think it should remind people what should NEVER happen again. To speak against it seems disrespectful.

Basic Member
    I have mixed feelings about it honestly. Being a VN vet I can see where others might feel they are deserving of their own day to recognize their service given the times, but times change as well. For me, I look at all veterans' holidays as not so much a time for the general public to honor us but for us to mark and remember the service of those that never made it home and each other. Days to visit memories that are further and further behind but deserve to be remembered. I never really think about it in any other way, so I am usually pretty oblivious about the how the general public chooses to celebrate it (or not).

6. 04-04-2017, 08:21 PM
    Reason
    Getting political

I'm glad that our government has finally officially recognized our Viet Nam vets. Not for the public but for those who served because they deserve it. Not just for those who never came back but also for those who did return. Because to some extent a lot of them came back changed, and I pray God blesses them immensely.