Thread: Savage 10 FCP - K, trigger blade problem on the Accu Trigger

justeric

Savage 10 FCP - K, trigger blade problem on the Accu Trigger

I've only shot about 200 rounds out of my new 10 FCP - K. This past weekend I was in a 600 yard bench rest competition where I put about 80 rounds down range. After about 40 rounds, my trigger blade started acting up. Sometimes, but not always the trigger blade would not allow me to shot the gun, like it was in safe mode. To fix the problem, I would open the bolt without pulling it back, and then close it. This worked up until about 65 rounds. Then the blade would not move from that point on. I ended up finding that if I put the safety on, then chambered a round and then took the safety off, I trigger blade would allow me to shoot the round.

The night after the competition, I put a snap cap in my rifle and tried to recreate the problem but the trigger blade worked fine.

Has anyone had this problem or heard of someone else having this problem?

Thanks,
    Eric

82boy

Re: Savage 10 FCP - K, trigger blade problem on the Accu Trigger

Common problem, the trigger is set too low. Turn the weight up.

justeric

Thanks 82. I haven't adjusted the trigger down yet. Shouldn't that only happen if you adjust your trigger down? Are there any after market upgrades you can do to your trigger? Do you have to take the action out of the stock to adjust the trigger?

Thanks again,
    Eric

Nefarioud

Quote Originally Posted by justeric
    Thanks 82. I haven't adjusted the trigger down yet. Shouldn't that only happen if you adjust your trigger down? Are there any after market upgrades you can do to your trigger? Do you have to take the action out of the stock to adjust the trigger?

Thanks again,
    Eric
    Seems like they "adjust" themselves from the factory setting, maybe something to do with the spring "taking a set" from new?. My 10FP did that after the first few hundred rounds. I tuned it up just a bit and it never happened again.

You do need to remove it from the stock and there are a few threads on here about putting it back in correctly. Like this one: http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,29836.0.html

You can replace the trigger with something from Sharp Shooters Supply or the like.

PBinWA

My 10FCP Trigger was set much lighter at the factory than my 110FCP. I had the trigger issues immediately. I increased the pull weight just a bit and it has been working great. I like a heavier trigger anyways so it was a good motivator to do it.

bodywerks

Quote Originally Posted by justeric

Thanks again,
    Eric
    man, you'd think that with all the problems the accutrigger has tag savage would be doing something about it.
    sure, increasing the trigger pull weight will sometimes fix it, but not all of us are hunters - some of us see a 3 pound trigger as too heavy a trigger.
    The reason your blade is locked up is because the sear slipped past the groove in the trigger and locked up against the blade. Had the blade not been there you would have had a slam fire. Doesn't that give you a warm fuzzy?
    Honestly, if you will mostly compete with this rifle If use it mostly for target shooting, toss the trigger and replace it with a SSS competition trigger. Its leaps and bounds better and You can get it to break at a pound or even slightly less.
    FWIW, every savage accutrigger I've had has had the exact problem you're having and increasing the pull weight didn't always fix it 100%. I now have the SSS trigger in every one of my savages and have about 1,000 combined rounds fired without a hitch.

justeric

Body Works, Do you use the Competition or the Evolution SSS trigger? Does the trigger fit into the trigger guard for the 10 FCP - K? Did you install the trigger or should that be done by SSS or another gunsmith?

Thanks,
    Eric

scamp62

I swapped out my accutrigger with the SSS Comp, trigger, and am much happier !!
    With the new trigger and the 10 FCP-K you do need to do a little grinding with a dremel tool. If needed I can send pic’s.

justeric

Hey Scamp62, could you please send me the pics? What weight do you have yours set at?

scamp62

Check this pal!
    http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,34406.0.html

10 min, with a dremel……..and you have a great trigger !!!

bodywerks

Scamp beat me to it. There are a few things you have to do to make the trigger work in the fcp-k, but its totally worth the hassle. Mine breaks at 1 pound and has cocked and fired properly for nearly 500 rounds now

super4me2000

I just purchased a Savage model 11/111. Took her out to the range for the first time and hated the damn thing. My first big rifle and I wanted very much to love it however when pulling and pulling that stock trigger became cumbersome, quickly. The range master seeing my struggle and knowing it was my first time shooting that gun told me two very very important things. The first was to tighten every bolt on the gun especially on the sights. I mean pull off the sight and tighten the screws of the rail then systematically go through every bolt on the sight and tighten (huge help). The second thing he mentioned is if your are having problems with your trigger pull try purchasing a Timney trigger. Now mind you he said he had never purchased one but sold his favorite rifle to his best friend because he couldn't stand the pull of the trigger. His friend replaced the trigger and called him back thanking him for the wonderful rifle. Sharing this with me must have been difficult for him as he lost his favorite rifle. Nothing like learning from someone else’s mistakes. I went home purchased a Timney it came and I installed the new trigger with a cast on in 20 minutes. The difference was unbelievable. Now I know there are other triggers out there and I can't speak about them. However this was easy to install and the pull is now perfect. To like your rifle means you like your trip if its to the range or on the hunt. Although it was a tad more expensive than the others the ease and feel of the pull make the purchase the a no brainer. If you have a Savage without the accutrigger do what I did buy it, install it, and enjoy it.

Good shooting