Thread: Savage Model 1899

TheYuman

Savage Model 1899

Hello there! I am new to Savage Arms and to this forum, my grandfather has just given me a Savage 99 chambered in .303 Savage which I believe to be a 99b. It is a full Octagonal Barrel with serial number 13,278, I believe it to be manufactured in 1899, a first year gun. I have been attempting to do as much research as I can but I still know relatively little about the gun and firearms in general. The gun was my great-grandfather's who owned a saloon in Montana, he was given the gun as reconciliation for a tab a lumberjack couldn't pay. He in turn gave it to my grandfather, who just gave it to me. I took the rifle back home to the farm, cleaned it up, and ordered some .303 Savage. After cleaning off only the roughest of dirt/grease (careful of the patina) I took it to a gunsmith to make sure it was safe to shoot, they OK'd the gun after a very quick look but gave me no guarantees as expected. At the farm I fired it four times but on the fourth shot the loaded chamber indicator (I am sure this isnt the correct name) on top of the receiver propped fully up to about a 50 degree angle with the rifle, far past where it had sat before to indicate the chamber was loaded. Please note that this indicator is the earlier style where it is rectangular slide that tilts slightly not the small circle that pokes up. This prevented me from opening the receiver all the way or pulling the trigger. I am now stuck with a rifle that I cannot load or pull the trigger. I am planning on taking it to a gunsmith and seeing what they can do to fix it, is there any advice anyone has about this subject? Also I was wondering if anyone had a number of how many "99b"s were produced. Thanks for your help!

-Yuman

Basic Member
    Can't help with the problem without tearing it down myself, so a trip to the GS is the way to go. I'd say the cocking indicator or cam on the firing pin it rides on broke. Can't tell without talking the bolt apart! According to this site,http://www.savage99.com/savage99_dates.htm it was made in 1900. Don't know how many were made, but they were discontinued in 1915. Sounds like it has a great history, to bad these old guns can't talk!! Congrats on inheriting a fine heirloom!

Dog Walker
    Thats a nice family firearm you have there, Congrats! family guns are the best imop , I hope there is no damage in there, I would suggest a more indepth check on the old firearm " very quick look" by the gunsmith could very well have missed the cause of your situation. post back what you find in there.