Thread: Boyds Recoil Lug

Boyds Recoil Lug

Anyone figured out a way go get the included recoil lug out of a Boyds Axis stock? Looks like it's a pretty tight press-in fit and so far my attempts to extract it with vise grips have failed. I'm running a standard 110 lug on my Axis so it needs to come out.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    Anyone figured out a way go get the included recoil lug out of a Boyds Axis stock? Looks like it's a pretty tight press-in fit and so far my attempts to extract it with vise grips have failed. I'm running a standard 110 lug on my Axis so it needs to come out.
    I would try drilling on the muzzle side of it, and then after you get it out clean it up for a good bedding job.

Basic Member
    To clarify, I mean Drilling in the laminate on the muzzle side of the recoil lug.

Finally got the bugger out. Besides it being a slightly "pressed in" fit (which might explain why there's been a few of these that arrived to customers with cracks by the front action screw), it's also glued in with what looks like SuperGlue. I had to mill out the full width of the lug on the front side about 0.400" before I could even get it to wiggle any to break the glues bond and finally get it out.

Soo...if you have machined your action to accept standard 110 recoil lugs and want to order a Boyds stock, ask them not to put a recoil lug in it so you don't have to go through this headache like I did.

Good to know Jim. The stock and the factory recoil lug setup has been the hold back for me on the axis "axtions".(sic)
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

So what's so bad about the Axis recoil lug set up? Very simple and seems to work quite well on thousands and thousands of rifles.

What discipline do you see the axis rifle with the axis recoil lug setup working well in?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Not going for any argument here but I have three, and several friends with edge/ axis rifles. All shot rather well, accuracy wise for very inexpensive rifles. I've had much more costly rifles that wouldn't come close to these axis rifles. Trigger certainly need a little work, many don't care for the stock. Some do, especially those with small hands, short fingers. But those issues have nothing to do with the style of recoil lug. But if you what to change it, have at it. But why buy an axis in the first place?

The Axis recoil lug is adequate for what it needs to do with the calibers the Axis is chambered for. I've always suspected that the lug style is likely part of the reason Savage doesn't offer any magnum chamberings in the Axis line, though there's nothing concrete to substantiate it. In my case, I had SSS true & time my two Axis actions and it just made sense to go ahead and do the conversion to use a standard sandwiched 110-style lug while it was apart and being machined.

Basic Member
    Let us know how they shoot when back together.

There are some things I like about the Axis vs. the 110 that make me very curious. I have everything to make a "maxis", and machining the action for a 110 lug is holding me up a little.

Both have been back together for awhile and are shooting sub MOA with minimal load work. Can't really say if it made any difference or not as I rebarreled the one during the process and the other was new/unfired when I had the work done.

Quote Originally Posted by hereinaz View Post
    Let us know how they shoot when back together.

There are some things I like about the Axis vs. the 110 that make me very curious. I have everything to make a "maxis", and machining the action for a 110 lug is holding me up a little.
    I wouldn't worry about machining it unless you desperately need that SSS lug on your gun.

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...-s-Maxis-Build

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    I wouldn't worry about machining it unless you desperately need that SSS lug on your gun.

Thanks. I have had your build on my mind, and have watched it several times. I think I will make that next on my list. All I need is to machine the bolt head to the right length.

Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post

No need for it, more of a "it's already torn apart and chucked up in the lathe so why not" kind of things.

Well, sure! If you've already got it in a lathe, you're three steps ahead of where I could possibly get to myself.

Basic Member
    I called and talked to boyds about the recoil lug because I have the 110 style lug also and they told me they can't not put the lug in it. I don't get why they can't just leave it out but they claim they can't leave it out.

Basic Member
    I agree. When I built my first Savage on an Axis action. I used 2 different stocks from SSS with the factory recoil lug. Never had an issue and it shot sub 1/2 MOA with both factory and reloaded ammunition. With the stock being CNC'd to fit the action it's plenty tight enough with the torque of the action screws to achieve solid accuracy.
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 06-15-2017 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zr600 View Post
    I called and talked to boyds about the recoil lug because I have the 110 style lug also and they told me they can't not put the lug in it. I don't get why they can't just leave it out but they claim they can't leave it out.
    Did you ask if you could pay more to have them do less work? That's how finishing options typically are.

Quote Originally Posted by zr600 View Post
    That's because of how they do things there, and they're not Burger King. It's Ford's Model A assembly line for the most part. (i.e. you can have any color you want, so long as it's black). To maintain the production efficiency and keep the prices low they can't start doing "semi-custom" work that's requested here and there.

I agree in that it shouldn't be a big deal, but that's the answer I was given by their production manager when I asked if they could omit installing the recoil lug.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    That's because of how they do things there, and they're not Burger King. It's Ford's Model A assembly line for the most part. (i.e. you can have any color you want, so long as it's black). To maintain the production efficiency and keep the prices low they can't start doing "semi-custom" work that's requested here and there.

I agree in that it shouldn't be a big deal, but that's the answer I was given by their production manager when I asked if they could omit installing the recoil lug.
    True.

If you want it unfinished, it costs extra... because it requires a different process.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Burger King actually sounds like a good comparison. It, like Boyds, is sort of midway between a production line and a fully custom, bespoke makers. Without knowing the ins and outs of their business, I'd be astonished to learn Boyds keeps enough inventory of each and every model on hand. I say this because there are loads of permutations when one considers the numbers of profiles, inletting, and wood choices, even the base models. With the exception of the OEM stocks they make and the stocks they wholesale, Boyds probably can't afford to genuniely mass produce any stocks. I also think this is so because no-frills stocks I've gotten from Boyds have taken as long to ship as the customized ones, but the closeout stocks (blems and such) shipped within a week.

Basic Member
    Well I ordered one last week and it is supposed to be delivered today or tomorrow. They told me they build the stocks as they are ordered generally.

The lugs are glued in with Araldite like glue... apply some heat the lug and it will let go.