Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caliber Conundrum

trentcwwilson

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel_slayer View Post
    yes and no. I know this is a savage forum but I have to agree that new howa is 6.5g is where that cartridge is right at home. I would do 6.5x47L and download it before doing a 6.5g in a savage.
    I'm not a fan of shouldered barrels. Too expensive to headspace.

Quote Originally Posted by trentcwwilson View Post
    I'm not a fan of shouldered barrels. Too expensive to headspace.
    Remember, one of the beauties of the barrel nut is that tightening it with the GO-Gauge in place completes the headspacing woth NO MACHINING!

Speaking of off beat or emerging cartridges, have you looked at the 6 Creedmoor?

Hornady is already producing ammunition for it and one can use the longest Bullets by going to a 7- or 8-Twist. These include the 115 gr Berger and DTAC pills. (EXCEPTION -- GS Custom offers a leadfree 106 gr thay they recommend a 6-twist.)

Might have to download 55 gr pills unless lead puffballs are a serious form of entertainment.

Barrel life should be a tad better than the 243 Winchester too.

trentcwwilson
    Quote Originally Posted by JASmith View Post
    Remember, one of the beauties of the barrel nut is that tightening it with the GO-Gauge in place completes the headspacing woth NO MACHINING!

Speaking of off beat or emerging cartridges, have you looked at the 6 Creedmoor?

Hornady is already producing ammunition for it and one can use the longest Bullets by going to a 7- or 8-Twist. These include the 115 gr Berger and DTAC pills. (EXCEPTION -- GS Custom offers a leadfree 106 gr thay they recommend a 6-twist.)

Might have to download 55 gr pills unless lead puffballs are a serious form of entertainment.

That's why I said I dislike shouldered barrels. I only use Savage style actions due to the ease of headspacing. And I've got a buddy that shoots 6CM for long range. He enjoys it. Accidentally got a case with the 308 stuff he sold me. Interesting case.

trentcwwilson
    Ok, I take back what I said about shouldered barreled actions. I installed a Timney target trigger on a 700 today and I'm not looking for a 700 action. 1.5lb trigger actually broke at 13 oz. My kind of rifle. Now to figure out caliber....

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trentcwwilson View Post
    Ok, I take back what I said about shouldered barreled actions. I installed a Timney target trigger on a 700 today and I'm not looking for a 700 action. 1.5lb trigger actually broke at 13 oz. My kind of rifle. Now to figure out caliber....

there is always the "remage" barrels (savage style barrel nut for the remington action) only thing with the remy is your confined to the bolt face you have unless you have another bolt you can setup in it.

trentcwwilson
    If I got with a 308 gun, I can use 6x47, 6.5x47, 6CM, 6.5CM.

trentcwwilson
    Ok, I kinda got lead in the right direction by a local long range shooter. Finally caught him when his shop wasn't packed and asked him. I wanted something different that I haven't seen on the benchrest/long range (600 & 1000 yard) ranges and I settled on 6mm Norma BR. Great case life, great barrel life for a 6mm(2500+), and very efficient. 1.7-2 grains more of Varget than my .223 55gr V-Max loads. Here's what I've priced for 105gr handloads per his recommendations. This will at least get me started. Lapua brass, CCI SRM in the strips, 105gr Berger VLD, and Varget. I'll be buying everything in bulk locally so prices will be cheaper than listed here, but it gives me an idea. At least I'm not gonna be buying the Lapua ammo listed at the bottom. Now to decide to stick with a Savage or break down and build a 700. Found SS short actions for cheap(384) at Buds and that Timney Calvin Elite .5-2.5lb trigger is calling my name...

Basic Member
    6br is a great cartridge especially setup for the 105's with a fast twist barrel. keep in mind there are tons of reamers out there for this cartridge. i'd recommend a no turn reamer setup for lapua brass with freebore for the 105's. as for cost per performance check out the nosler 105 RDF vs the berger vld.

trentcwwilson
    6br is a great cartridge especially setup for the 105's with a fast twist barrel. keep in mind there are tons of reamers out there for this cartridge. i'd recommend a no turn reamer setup for lapua brass with freebore for the 105's. as for cost per performance check out the nosler 105 RDF vs the berger vld.
    I had priced the 105 Berger VLD. I don't know twist rates to save my life so any info you can give me would be appreciated. Guess I'll have to go join the 6mmBR forums as well. I'd like to be able to shoot the 105s extremely well, but still allow me to shoot other weights as well, preferably the V-Max as well because I love the bullet in .264 and .224. Also need a preferred barrel length. Plan on using a Shilen stainless match barrel if they have the suggested twist. That'll leave me to decide between the Savage or Remington/Tikka actions. I'm leaning Remington due to that amazing Timney trigger.

Basic Member
    when I was spec'ing one out I was going to go with a 1:8 twist with a .114 freebore and .271-.272 neck. this would give you enough freebore to keep most of the 105 out of the powder column and yet still give you some throat to grow (so you can chase the lands as the barrel wears) you could start with the freebore as far as .135 if you want more velocity out of the gate but your barrel life (or amount of rounds you can chase the lands with before the bullet is to far outside the case) will diminish. now if you have means to set your barrel back at will then a .125-.135 freebore may not be a bad idea. the .114 freebore would be less jump for the vmax's.

as to barrel length that's all shooter preference. most go very long barrels in the 6br to maximize velocity from the short cartridge(28-32" is quite common). I personally was starting to lean towards a 6brx or dasher(both 6br wildcats with a few gr more capacity) with a shorter barrel (22-24") to be more versatile(not it to the bench rest deal) varget is the go-to powder for that cartridge but read a few good things about 8208xbr (my go-to powder now)

again I can't remember the company off hand but there's a company who sells mag guts for aics mags that will feed the stubby case well. otherwise you may want to consider a single shot approach.

trentcwwilson
    when I was spec'ing one out I was going to go with a 1:8 twist with a .114 freebore and .271-.272 neck. this would give you enough freebore to keep most of the 105 out of the powder column and yet still give you some throat to grow (so you can chase the lands as the barrel wears) you could start with the freebore as far as .135 if you want more velocity out of the gate but your barrel life (or amount of rounds you can chase the lands with before the bullet is to far outside the case) will diminish. now if you have means to set your barrel back at will then a .125-.135 freebore may not be a bad idea. the .114 freebore would be less jump for the vmax's.

as to barrel length that's all shooter preference. most go very long barrels in the 6br to maximize velocity from the short cartridge(28-32" is quite common). I personally was starting to lean towards a 6brx or dasher(both 6br wildcats with a few gr more capacity) with a shorter barrel (22-24") to be more versatile(not it to the bench rest deal) varget is the go-to powder for that cartridge but read a few good things about 8208xbr (my go-to powder now)

again I can't remember the company off hand but there's a company who sells mag guts for aics mags that will feed the stubby case well. otherwise you may want to consider a single shot approach.
    I'm leaning towards the single shot more and more to gain as much accuracy as possible. And Varget is my go to powder for every caliber I have except 308. Mainly because I have almost 200 pounds of it.

Basic Member

trentcwwilson
    That may be worth my time then. I was considering dropping this build into an MDT chassis and they can use AICS mags.

trentcwwilson
    there is always the "remage" barrels (savage style barrel nut for the remington action) only thing with the remy is your confined to the bolt face you have unless you have another bolt you can setup in it.
    308 bolt face. Works for 6mmBR, 6mm CM, 6.5CM, 6x47L, 6.5x47L....I'll do the 700 correctly without the nut. Don't bastardize the 700. That's Savage's baby, leave it to them. If I can find a bare Tikka action, I'll go that route. One of the slickest factory actions on the market. My whole reason for going the 700 route is due to that Timney trigger. Half a pound trigger pull is perfect for what I'm gonna use it for.

Basic Member
    I agree with the tikka action. my cousin bought a .308 CTR and It's definitely the slickest action I've ever shoot with. I like the fact that you can modify the bolt stop and run it as a long or short action with just a quick change of the stop and magazine. CBI I believe is starting to do switch barrel conversions for tikka's now as well. if I ever do a high dollar build it will either be off a tikka action or a bighorn.

trentcwwilson
    Quote Originally Posted by JASmith View Post

I've got a friend that shoots it. I clean his brass, find it interesting, but I like the 6mmBR for efficiency.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12