Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caliber Conundrum

trentcwwilson

Caliber Conundrum

Well, I've hit the proverbial wall. I'm finally tired of my 338 LM, my 408 CheyTac, my 45-70 Siamese Mauser, and even my 260 Dingo (still my favorite caliber). I'm looking for a new caliber for a bolt gun. Have a few in mind, but I don't know much about the cartridges and much of what I read comes with a 50/50 love/hate response. Anyone have any experience with 20 BR, 204 Ruger, or any of the TCU cartridges out of a Savage bolt? I'm even considering a 458 SOCOM build seeing as I've had the opportunity to shoot one and boy, talk about scary accurate to 200...

I use a 20 Grendel and it does great with 55 gr bullets.

A 20 BR with a 7- or 8-twist will be a skosh faster and you won't need a PPC bolt head.

Team Savage
    What are you wanting to do with it?

trentcwwilson
    Drybean, my days of hunting are over, and I'm only keeping the 260 Dingo (local creation based on the 6.5-06) because it hurls the 95 grain V-Max at almost 4k, and I'm keeping the other 2 because they've won a lot of unofficial club long range matches over thev years. It'll mainly be for target. The good I've heard of the 204 Ruger is the velocity and accuracy if the right parts are used. Have access to a HUGE supply of Shilen SS match barrels so it'll definitely get a quality barrel no matter what I choose.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

trentcwwilson
    I'm really interested in the TCU cartridges because I have a 55 gallon drum full of .223/5.56 brass. Only thing that worries me is I've heard velocities tend to be crap.

Team Savage
    A 20 tac. would be my choice

trentcwwilson
    I looked at the 20 Tactical, but it offered nothing over the 20 BR. The 20 BR is the 20 cal king at the moment. It doesn't offer much over the 204 Ruger and I know our local is PACKED with 204.

Basic Member
    204 ruger if you want factory ammo. and 20x47L setup for 50-55gr pencil's for a fun flat laser beam! the 17 predator has always peaked my interest.

trentcwwilson
    Tell me more about the 20x47. Assuming it's based off the 6.5x47 that I also know nothing about.

Basic Member
    yeah it's essentially a 6.5x47 lapua necked down to 20 caliber. remember reading their getting 50's at over 4k and 55's just under. obviously not something you'd want to use in a dog town (high volume of shooting) but for those 500+ yd shots it's the ticket. the 20 caliber record was taken with this cartridge at over 1000yds on a rock chuck I believe.

trentcwwilson
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel_slayer View Post
    yeah it's essentially a 6.5x47 lapua necked down to 20 caliber. remember reading their getting 50's at over 4k and 55's just under. obviously not something you'd want to use in a dog town (high volume of shooting) but for those 500+ yd shots it's the ticket. the 20 caliber record was taken with this cartridge at over 1000yds on a rock chuck I believe.
    That puts them up there with the 260 Dingo I mentioned. I have to admit, I am a velocity whore as long as accuracy remains. How's barrel/case life? What about availability of reamers and dies?

Basic Member
    those I don't know. Just read about it on saubier.com seems quite a few out there. and i'm sure the die arangement is much like most. buy a redding bushing die and appropriate bushings to size down in steps. (thats what most do for 6x47 and 22x47's) then change out the seater plug in the bullet seating die for the correct bullet diameter and profile. a quick google check shows PTG with a reamer http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/20-ca...ua-reamer.html

trentcwwilson
    That's an interesting read. That eliminates the TCU cartridges. How about 6.5 cartridges? The only 6.5 I have is the Dingo, but I only use the 95 V-Max in it.

Basic Member
    for the 6.5's the hot cartridges these days are the 6.5 saum 4s developed by george gardner of gap. their using slow powders with long barrels and amazingly getting great barrel life and good velocity. he also helped bring the new 6.5 PRC out in partnership with ruger. its a hair smaller and on the RCM case but both of these are more aimed to the long range crowd with heavy bullets. depends what your after?

on the other end of the spectrum the 22 tcm is becoming a hit for the low componet usage/high performance in the .17 and 20 calibers.

a 20 practical (essentially a necked down .223) gets most of the performance of the 204 ruger with less powder and cheap cases. IMR 8208xbr is doing great things in alot of cases. it's my go to powder for .308, and .223. hear its getting good #'s with 6.5 and others.

trentcwwilson
    I know the Creedmoor, but I like a little oddity. 6.5x284 I've had, got rid of it due to a 250 round barrel change. The Grendel is an AR round. The 260 Rem I've pondered due to the fact it's a necked down 308 and it'd feed from the 10 round box mag in a 10 action.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trentcwwilson View Post
    I know the Creedmoor, but I like a little oddity. 6.5x284 I've had, got rid of it due to a 250 round barrel change. The Grendel is an AR round. The 260 Rem I've pondered due to the fact it's a necked down 308 and it'd feed from the 10 round box mag in a 10 action.

i'm building a .260 myself. the creedmoor is supposed to do better from a short action especially with these long super high bc bullets hitting the market. i'm personally building mine on a long action with DBM. if your looking for cartridges in that power level the 6mm's are very popular. with the release of the 105gr nosler RDF its a very economical choice. ton's of varients to choose from. there's the 6xc, 6x47l, and 6 creedmoor on the big end and the 6 dasher, brx, and br on the lower end. the last 3 can be tricky with mags but there's a company with mag guts get them to feed.

trentcwwilson
    Should I just bite the bullet and get a 260 Rem or 6.5CM or should I consider one of the other calibers for a build? I've got a Bat Machine SA laying around I'd like to use for something.

Both Howa and CZ now offer bolt-action rifles chambered for the Grendel even though the cartridge was developed for the AR. BTW, the .223 Remington was developed for the AR also by morphing the bolt-centric 222 Remington.

It is an outstanding low recoil round with excellent terminal effects for medium game but muzzle velocities for a 24 in barrel will range from about 3000 fps in 85 gr bullets down to about 2300 fps with 140 gr bullets when using a 24-in barrel and running standard pressures.

trentcwwilson
    Quote Originally Posted by JASmith View Post
    Both Howa and CZ now offer bolt-action rifles chambered for the Grendel even though the cartridge was developed for the AR. BTW, the .223 Remington was developed for the AR also by morphing the bolt-centric 222 Remington.

It is an outstanding low recoil round with excellent terminal effects for medium game but muzzle velocities for a 24 in barrel will range from about 3000 fps in 85 gr bullets down to about 2300 fps with 140 gr bullets when using a 24-in barrel and running standard pressures.
    I know how the 223 was formed, and I have a 222. Great rifle. I'm assuming those velocities are for the 6.5 Grendel? And if I go that route, it'll be built on a Savage action. How's and CZ? Dear God man. Remember where you are!

Basic Member
    Should I just bite the bullet and get a 260 Rem or 6.5CM or should I consider one of the other calibers for a build? I've got a Bat Machine SA laying around I'd like to use for something.

lets see .204 ruger.......458 socom........260 man I thought I was ADD! lol obviously I have no clue what your after. seems you have money burning a hole in your pocket. I have a great idea. how about I live vicariously through you? ahem you want a 6x45 with an improved case but on a 30' shoulder throated for 105 nosler rdf's.... yeah that's it...ala poor mans 6br. this is a cartridge I want to build one day. C4HD already lists the dies, then your a custom reamer away from a cool rig that should be supersonic beyond 1200yds, low recoil, cheap/free brass on the proven accurate 30' shoulder. there are a few guys on the hide that are running straight 6x45's throated for 105's that are pretty impressive for what they are. guess it makes for a decent coyote gun using the 87gr v-max from what I've seen

trentcwwilson
    lets see .204 ruger.......458 socom........260 man I thought I was ADD! lol obviously I have no clue what your after. seems you have money burning a hole in your pocket. I have a great idea. how about I live vicariously through you? ahem you want a 6x45 with an improved case but on a 30' shoulder throated for 105 nosler rdf's.... yeah that's it...ala poor mans 6br. this is a cartridge I want to build one day. C4HD already lists the dies, then your a custom reamer away from a cool rig that should be supersonic beyond 1200yds, low recoil, cheap/free brass on the proven accurate 30' shoulder. there are a few guys on the hide that are running straight 6x45's throated for 105's that are pretty impressive for what they are. guess it makes for a decent coyote gun using the 87gr v-max from what I've seen
    The 260 Dingo is my coyote rifle. Sighted in at 100, it's dead nuts at 400. At 425, it'll remove lungs and vertibrae out the other side and leave a wound big enough to fit your fist and not get bloody. Does even better with the 100 grain options. I'm essentially looking for a flat shooting target option. 6mm is always a good choice, but I've heard they're barrel burners.

Basic Member
    the 6.5 saum would likely be one of the better pick's for a short action. the 28 nosler is becoming popular throated for the 195gr bergers in the long action. those both are catered more for long range target shooting/hunting.

hopefully scope eye will swing by he's into those laser beams. he builds all of his with slow twist barrels setup for the light for caliber bullets at blistering speeds. he said the bigger guns like his 338 edge/lapua? with the barnes ttsx (the lightest one) has a visible vapor trail to even the naked eye since its so fast and is large enough to see. something to be seen he says.

trentcwwilson
    the 6.5 saum would likely be one of the better pick's for a short action. the 28 nosler is becoming popular throated for the 195gr bergers in the long action. those both are catered more for long range target shooting/hunting.

hopefully scope eye will swing by he's into those laser beams. he builds all of his with slow twist barrels setup for the light for caliber bullets at blistering speeds. he said the bigger guns like his 338 edge/lapua? with the barnes ttsx (the lightest one) has a visible vapor trail to even the naked eye since its so fast and is large enough to see. something to be seen he says.
    I read up on a caliber called the Blue Streak that's essentially the same as you described. Bit hot for my liking. Pressures tend to be a bit high.

trentcwwilson
    Is the 6.5 Grendel worth chambering in a bolt? I've had the joy of shooting one at our "local" range and was mightily impressed with its performance. Still feel bad that I shot his rifle better than him...

Basic Member
    yes and no. I know this is a savage forum but I have to agree that new howa is 6.5g is where that cartridge is right at home. I would do 6.5x47L and download it before doing a 6.5g in a savage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast