Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What 30 cal bullet choice

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Haiku_Rodney View Post
    I am not by any means an expert. However, I find the best accuracy in my rifles are loads that are a little less than maximum. As far as I know, finding a good load is pretty much trial and error. Have fun!!!
    You can make it non trial and error. OCW method is one way.

I am still where I start out at .3 above the minimum load, usually from the specific bullet mgf (Hornady or Sierra) and work up in .3 or .5 grain steps.

Once I find an area it likes, I load loads above and below it to see if I am in the middle of a node or on the edge.

Once I am happy with that I start chain COAL unless I have a recipe already that it likes that bullet for already (usually some idea)

I still play with COAL to see if difference combo makes a difference with COAL.

So far it does not seem to.

You should find a node it likes between low and mid load and again someplace between mid load and maximum.

There may be a third node right up at maximum but I don't usually play there.

trentcwwilson
    Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    You can make it non trial and error. OCW method is one way.

I am still where I start out at .3 above the minimum load, usually from the specific bullet mgf (Hornady or Sierra) and work up in .3 or .5 grain steps.

Once I find an area it likes, I load loads above and below it to see if I am in the middle of a node or on the edge.

Once I am happy with that I start chain COAL unless I have a recipe already that it likes that bullet for already (usually some idea)

I still play with COAL to see if difference combo makes a difference with COAL.

So far it does not seem to.

You should find a node it likes between low and mid load and again someplace between mid load and maximum.

There may be a third node right up at maximum but I don't usually play there.
    In all my rifles, mostly my custom builds, I've yet to find a load in the low-mid range that they like. I tend to load within spec in .5 increments. Find what it likes, load every .1 between the previous and the next. Sure, lot of powder, bullets, and money, but it's yet to fail me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12