Thread: Savage Model 10 M40 B&C Stock Dissapointment

Basic Member

Savage Model 10 M40 B&C Stock Dissapointment

So I received the Bell & Carlson M40 Stock today. I was eager to install so jumped right in. Looking over the stock I realized that the rear trigger guard action screw hole was not drilled. I drilled a pilot hole and then threaded the screw with an Allen. The stock material just crumbled like powder. I called redhawkrifles and asked them if this was a common problem and he said "oh yea you don't torque that one you just snug it in". I said I didn't torque it but drilled pilot and gently threaded with Allen. The rep at redhawk kind of scoffed and then said I'm going to have to bed he screw and to make sure I use a release agent so it can be disassembled.

1. A new stock that advertises "drop in" should at least be pre-drilled for rear screw.
    2. It should not crumble when the screw is installed.

I'm highly disappointed with Bell & Carlson's quality as well as redhawk's customer service. I'm not a certified gunsmith but know my way around tools.

I suppose this this is a "buyer beware" but also a bit of a vent... Maybe the mixture was off when they built this stock. The material is very brittle and falls apart relatively easy. I'm not sending it back based on the delightful conversation I had with redhawk. I will, however, not buy from them again or purchase any B&C products. The original flimsy tupperware stock kept tight groups so if I get tired of trying to bed this one, I'll just burn it and go back to the original. Sorry for the long rant I'm just ticked off.

Last edited by Russmerle; 04-03-2015 at 05:25 PM.

Basic Member
    i received my stock Wed and had same thing happen to me. i think maybe the screw was a bit too long and hit the aluminum bedding block and i kept turning the screw waiting for it to pull my trigger guard down. this morning i drilled the hole larger and put some JB weld in it with a piece of wood dowel. i also shortened the screw just a bit so as not to hit the aluminum again. should be good to go tomorrow!
    for the price, and the nice looking stock i'm getting, i'm not going to complain about a little work on my part, besides i needed something to do! (LOL)

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!

Basic Member
    That's a really good idea... The rear screw is a wood screw anyways. I've filled the hole with monster glue and am going to clean her up then drill pilot. If that fails I will try your way. I just don't like knowing there is a weak spot in my rifle... Thanks for the fix.

Mine self-tapped with just a bit of pressure on the driver and went in without issue. IIRC, the A2 Medalists are the exact same way.

Sorry this happened to you, but IMO it really isn't as big of a deal as its being made out to be. I honestly thought about not even using the rear triggerguard screw as it isn't really necessary IMO - tightening the rear action screw snugged the triggerguard down nicely for me.

You might contact Bell & Carlson directly (they are on Facebook and pretty responsive) and get their opinion, after all, they made the thing.

As mentioned, you can put JB Weld or other epoxy in that area, let it set up, then screw it in again if it gives you a warm fuzzy.

Team Savage
    This area is a weak spot on Savage stocks in general. If you tighten the rear trigger guard screw like it is an action screw, the plastic, composite, or wood will eventually strip or crack in this area. As outlined above, the fix is to put some JB weld/epoxy in the hole, put some release agent on the trigger guard and screw, hand tighten snug and allow to cure. Make sure you clean any epoxy that oozes out on top of the bridge inside the stock. If you don't, your next problem will be the rear of the Accutrigger contacting the stock and tripping the sear which locks the trigger.
    Last edited by jpdown; 04-04-2015 at 11:39 AM.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the help guys I see the error of my whining ways... I left today for a trip but before I left I set it up with some appoxy in the hole. I will re-drill pilot and do as you guys suggest.
    russ

Every Bell Carlson stock I have seen has that same problem/design flaw, what ever we want to call it, we have five of their stocks, they are great stocks for the money, if peole new before hand they would know to drill a small pilot hole the just snug the screw, but we all find out the hard way, unless we read about it before we got our stocks LOL, anyway its a easy fix ( yes we shouldn't have to fix a new stock) you still have a good stock.
    Stay away from Negative People, they have a Problem for every Solution!

Basic Member
    ^ +1 ^

Basic Member
    i have 2 of the Duramax and never had that problem with them. this time i also drilld a small pilot hole and then followed up with a little larger drill just to start the screw. anyway i have the problem fixed and it's not much of a problem for me since i'm retired and like tinkering with things.

oh, and i would buy another!!

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!

BarrelNuts
    Glad I read this post... ordered the same stock mentioned by the OP, liked the shape/size/look of the B&C... now that its here really like the feel and test-fitting the action before my barrel comes in seems to be a good fit; bottom metal goes in no problems/extra inlet needed. Time to get the drill press warmed up and make a pilot hole.

Basic Member
    Fixed the stock tonight but still disappointed in the rear screw. I don't like how light it has to be torqued to avoid stripping it. I'll try utilizing an insert at a later date if she gives loose...

Different stock (B&C Medalist/Varmint) and different gun (Hog Hunter) but I don’t remember having to drill any holes. The stock did take a fair amount of work to get the action installed properly. One has to wonder what “drop in” ready stock means to the stock manufacture. I had no plans to put a stock on the gun when I got it, but it was an impulse buy and I am very happy with the stock. I think if I had your problems, I might have started a rant thread on B&C too.
    Gary...Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo

Basic Member
    this stock is one Im looking at for my 10p-sr and reading some of the problems makes me hesitant.

Quote Originally Posted by Draftpick View Post
    this stock is one Im looking at for my 10p-sr and reading some of the problems makes me hesitant.
    Don't be.

It is a fine stock - my 11 Trophy Predator Hunter barreled action dropped in without effort and factory metal DBM installed with no issues...including the rear triggerguard screw.

Basic Member
    i had problems with the rear trigger guard screw, but did i over torque it while installing it or was my screw too long and hit the bedding block? i don't know but for me it was an easy fix and i would buy another of these stocks. i just drilled the hole slightly larger and JB welded a piece of wood doweling in it. works like a charm!
    i would like to add i am use to the choate stocks and the material they use is much denser so i accept blame for my problem.

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!

Basic Member
    I was shooting fliers quite often until I realized that the receiver was bedding over dried epoxy that over flowed into the aluminum block during manufacturer. I had to shave the epoxy back 1/32-1/16" to ensure the receiver directly mated with the aluminum bedding block...

After that fix, this stock shoots the same as my "stock" Tupperware stock... I've put several rounds down range with it and have had very similar results. I'm still shooting the same SMK GMM ammo and have consistently shot .6"-1" groups depending on my own error. It is a decent stock but there is the drawback of week rear trigger guard material and over flowed epoxy in aluminum bedding block...

you our can see here I had already shaved back right side over flow and started working left:

russ

Z06sid
    3 weeks ago I bought the same B&C stock and sure enough the rear screw did not hold and came out like powder also......... I called B&C after explaining to the gal what happened she had no response .... no response at all,,,,, but on my rifle the action screw locks it so tight it really is not a factor it is not moving or coming out. BUTT the same thing happened to me.

Will I buy another????? yes I like the stock

Basic Member
    I just installed one last week. I drilled a small hole before installing rear screw. Went in no problems at all. Love the stock, much more solid than the factory Accustock.

There's a reason high quality synthetic stocks (HS-Precision, McMillan, Manners, etc) cost $450-600 and B&C stocks only cost $200-300. The devil is in the details...
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Correct pilot hole size

I know, dragging up old stuff but some pertinent info I thought might help others. After reading this and other threads I was wary when I purchased but I had no issues with the rear trigger guard screw. I drilled a 1/8" pilot hole and then pre threaded the screw once before installing the trigger guard. You can and probably should drill all the way through the material there. There is no aluminum in that area to hit with either the drill or screw.

As a side note the savage factory drop box magazine housing slid right in with about the same amount of force as it took to get it in or out of the accustock.

The factory accustock weighed in at 2lbs 3oz (2lbs 10oz with kydex cheek riser)
    the B&C M40 came in at 2lbs 10oz

So very similar weights.

New barrel coming so not shot yet but am liking the ergos so far.