Thread: 16 lightweight hunter

schott

16 lightweight hunter

do you have to buy bottom metals for a boyds stock for the 16 lightweight hunter or is it similar to the axis stock since it uses the same kind of clip from what I understand

Basic Member
    No. Boyds should send with the stock a hardware kit that has a front and rear insert. I say should as they forgot to include it in mine which had me scratching my head until I emailed them pics.

The front piece is easy and the front action screw goes through it but the rear "U" shaped piece slides into a channel cut into the stock at the back of the Mag well. Took me a few minutes to figure that out as the channel doesn't stand out

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

schott
    one more question if you don't mind I have a savage model 11 trophy hunter in 6.5 creedmoor which has the exact same stock as the lightweight hunter I'm guessing I wont need the bottom metals for that either. so if I ordered one I guess I would just order a savage model 16 lightweight hunter

Basic Member
    Not sure on the 11. The LWH uses the axis style mag which has the mag release on the mag itself. If your 11 trophy hunter has a mag release as part of the bottom metal then it won't work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Team Savage
    On The Savage 16 LWH and 11 Trophy Hunter, the plastic DBM frame assembly (surround) is molded into the plastic factory stock. They use have the same stock and Axis-style DBM from my visual inspection. In order to use the Axis-style DBM in a Savage factory or Boyd's SA, CF, DBM; walnut, hardwood, or laminated stock, you are going to need contact Savage Arms and order a plastic DBM frame assembly (surround) that is compatible with the latch tab on your Axis-style DBM with plastic magazine bottom cap. I would also order a metal bottom bolt release trigger guard and replace the cheap plastic one.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the clarification. Boyds provides front and rear inserts which work well with the axis Mag (specific to the 16 LWH). I ordered the plastic "bottom metal" today from Eabco for $20 in case I decide to get a higher end stock.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
    Not sure on the 11. The LWH uses the axis style mag which has the mag release on the mag itself. If your 11 trophy hunter has a mag release as part of the bottom metal then it won't work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    All you have to do the make the plastic bottom magazines work is cut off the plastic latch.

My Boyd's stock for my mdl 16 came with nothing. I had to buy the bottom metal, could've used the plastic trigger guard but bought a metal one instead to match.