Thread: 25-06 AI Neck Sizing

Aim4gold

25-06 AI Neck Sizing

Can I use a Lee 25-06 Collet Neck Sizer for a 25-06 AI fireformed case?
    Any special adjustments I need to be aware of?

Basic Member

Re: 25-06 AI Neck Sizing

Probably not because of the shoulder angle change. You'll find that neck sizing a A.I. will cause more problems than what it will solve. Full length resize everytime and bump the shoulder atleast .002".
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Eric in NC

I do believe they will "work" but as Sharpshooter said, neck sizing only on an AI will end up causing more pain than it is worth.

Aim4gold

Thanks for the insight - This is my first go at this.
    I have already fireformed my brass to the AI, now it's time to start working up a load
    I have a Redding full length resizing die so I'm good to go!!

gotcha

Help me out here. What problems are caused by neck sizing AI cases. I'm on my 2nd &3rd neck size only with a .257AI and it just keeps shooting better. I'm using Rem. .257Rbts. brass, used a Dave Kiff reamer made expressly for Rem brass. Shooting in O's & .1's. @100 yds. Is something about to happen that I'm not aware of? Didn't intend to hi-jack here. Just very curious. Thanks , Dale

possum1

Don't mean to hi-jack either, couldn't you adjust the die up into the press or slip a washer around the brass so the die would only touch or size the neck where it couldn't touch the shoulder ?

keep it up while it is working, just be aware if the bolt starts closing harder why this is happening.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Eric in NC

Quote Originally Posted by gotcha
    Help me out here. What problems are caused by neck sizing AI cases. I'm on my 2nd &3rd neck size only with a .257AI and it just keeps shooting better. I'm using Rem. .257Rbts. brass, used a Dave Kiff reamer made expressly for Rem brass. Shooting in O's & .1's. @100 yds. Is something about to happen that I'm not aware of? Didn't intend to hi-jack here. Just very curious. Thanks , Dale
    The AI design (sharp shoulders, minimal body taper) means that when the brass grows just a bit, it won't chamber (I would guess you are using pretty mild loads for the AI?). But if you are getting 0's and .1's - go out and win some BR matches with what you are doing!

Just be ready when the brass won't chamber any more.

gotcha

Eric, tanks fer the speedy reply! Is my paranoia showing ? Thought you might be talking about a deep, dark, mysterious phantom do-nut problem or such. Yes, light load. 40.8 grns IMR-4064 w/ 87grn Berger, touching lands. (no crono data yet)------------- aim4gold, The lee nk size (collet)dies in 6mm rem. & .257bob are machined to accomadate the AI versions of both cartridges. I use them both. don't know if 25-06 lee nk size (collet die) will work on 25-06 AI. I'm sure Lee can tell you.----- Seems we all agree on eventual need to set shoulder back on the AI cartridges. sod poodle safari anyone?

Aim4gold

OK, from all I've read I need to full length resize for my 25-06 AI

I have a Redding Type S Bushing die set that includes the body, neck and bullet seating die's

My understanding is the body die will full length resize the case body and bump the shoulders without disturbing the case neck.
    Then use the neck sizing die to get the proper seating tension

Int he first reply to this thread, Sharpshooter stated that i should bump the shoulder back at least .002". How do I do this or control this dimension?

Basic Member

I have used the lee collet to neck size my 25-06AI without issue. It is extremely accurate. Now, that said, I will full length size every other reload to bump the shoulder and size the base. I am not running hot loads either though, so if you run hot, you may have problems with my approach. Sure is a fun cartridge.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." ~ George Washington

gotcha

aim4, Lots of ways to skin a cat To answer your ques. Sinclair has headspace gauges for AI cases. Called: Sinclair bump gage inserts, this gadget fits between the jaws of your caliper and takes accurate measurement off shoulder. About $25 for comparator body and one insert. I think I'll get one for each of my AI's. Learned a lot and enjoyed everyones input. itty bitty groups to ya', Dale

Aim4gold

Quote Originally Posted by Aim4gold
    Can I use a Lee 25-06 Collet Neck Sizer for a 25-06 AI fireformed case?
    Any special adjustments I need to be aware of?
    Here is the reply I got back from Lee when i asked them this question:

The standard Collet Die Set for the parent cartridge should work provided that the bast to neck/shoulder intersection dimension has not changed. Most Ackley Improved cardriges have less body taper and steeper shoulder angle. There is enough clearance in the collet to accommodate the improved cartridge.

Thank You
    Lee Precision

Basic Member

Thanks for posting that. It sure has worked beautifully for me.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." ~ George Washington

Nitroused383

I used the Redding shoulder bump die and the Lee collet die to neck size. I bump the shoulder a few thou everytime so I have consistant brass. Winchester brass has gone to shit lately in the 25-06 offering, very soft and stretches around case head. I just ordered some 30-06 Lapua brass to neck down and play with. I have found the 270 WIN brass is a bit tougher and you can trim the longer 270 neck to your desired length.

Basic Member

I also use the Lee collet die for 25-06AI with no problems. I use a Redding body die about every third loading to bump the shoulder back. I am using Outlawkyote's loads, so they are pretty toasty, but I still don't need to body size everytime.

I have found that cleaning your brass everytime helps a bunch for chambering and extraction.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day- Harry Truman