Thread: Remington .222 maximum twist rate

Pastprime

Remington .222 maximum twist rate

Is a 1/8 twist rate absolutely unusable for the .222 cartridge??? That is what my .223 barrel is now and I'd like to rechamber it to save money. I know what I read on the Internet, but wonder if anyone has tried that twist rate in a .222.

Hank

What bullet do you consider using.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Pastprime
    As light as possible. I had an AR with a 1/9 that would shoot 55 gr. very well, and I've shot 52 gr. bullets in the 1/8 barrel I have in a .223 case., but accuracy was just average. 1" to 1 1/4" at 100 yards. I had a couple .222's several years ago but always used lighter bullets for target shooting. That is all I do now.

Seems like 1:8 may hold you back but what do I know about 224's with light bullets. You do already have the barrel and if you wanted some calculated numbers to make you feel good you can use Berger's twist rate calculator. Who knows what that means in the real world. http://www.bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

The accuracy is not likely to be affected unless you are wanting to compete in top level matches.

The main challenge is that the bullets will be spinning half again faster than with a 12-twist barrel.

Combine that with the thin jackets frequently seen in light varmint bullets and you might see a few come apart on the way to the target.

If the lead puffballs aren't entertaining enough for your buddies, it is easy to back off on powder, go to stronger bullet jackets, or increase the weight.

The eight twist will stabilize heavy bullets well enough that the rifle would be a serious option for long range coyote hunting and for deer weighing less than about 150 lb. For prairie dogs in open country a 50-55 gr bullet will buck the wind a lot better than 35-40 gr bullet too.

Pastprime
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Seems like 1:8 may hold you back but what do I know about 224's with light bullets. You do already have the barrel and if you wanted some calculated numbers to make you feel good you can use Berger's twist rate calculator. Who knows what that means in the real world. http://www.bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/
    That's a very nice calculator. Thanks. Be interesting to see how a particular load shoots vs. what the calculator says.

I did talk to John at Ragged Hole barrels and he will sell me a prefit barrel in .222 for $280 shipped. That might be the least expensive and easiest way to go to get a good shooting .222.

Nice option. Did you get the bugnut?

Pastprime
    You can call me "stupid" but I don't know what a "bugnut" is........

Hank

SPR AKA Bugholes.com makes them like this for about 5 C. Any actions that use 1-1/16 20 or 16 TPI. Ladies and gentlemen....the bugnut.

Pastprime
    Good deal...now I ain't as stupid as I was....... Looks like a serious tool.