Thread: Options for changing a SA centerfeed Stevens 200 to HFP?

Basic Member

Options for changing a SA centerfeed Stevens 200 to HFP?

I'm not sure I'm going to do this, but I'd like to know more so I can make an informed decision.

My new Stevens is the only bolt action rifle I own with a blind magazine. I'm OK with that but would slightly prefer a hinged floorplate for ease of unloading. I do not want a detachable magazine on this rifle. I also have no problem with retaining a Tupperware stock, it's a lightweight field gun. I do not want a wood stock on this rifle.

So, what are my options? I think two:

1) I assume I could find a used Tupperware DBM/HFP stock and bottom metal. Are DBM/HFP SA centerfeed Tupperware stocks available for sporter contour barrels? I also assume I could move my current blind magazine over to the DBM inletted stock so long as I have the HFP insert.

2) I can wait for Hogue to finally release their stock and do the same thing.

When I look at Fred's "Magazines & Conversions" tech article, there is a pic of HFP bottom metal but I'm not sure what I'm seeing. Is the HFP insert a plastic ring that fits the rout with the centerfeed magazine body attached and then a plastic or metal hinged door inside of that?

Can anyone point to photos of what the Savage implementation of a hinged floorplate looks like installed? I've never seen one. Is it secure?
    Just a guy.

hailstone

Re: Options for changing a SA centerfeed Stevens 200 to HFP?

I've gone the reverse of what your proposing and basically your on the track. Have several stock Savage stocks for SA's using the blind magazine center feed that I removed and replaced with DBM/laminated wood stocks. Willing too help you out if interested.

Basic Member

Thanks for the confirmation and offer of help! Are any of your Tupperware take-offs routed for DBM, or are they all blind?
    Just a guy.

Team Savage

Savage makes a center feed, sporter barrel, tupperware stock with cutout for HFP or DBM. You could put a WTB ad in the site classifieds (must be a paid member) if you are looking for one. Might be a member who switched to a SSS laminate stock has one laying around they would sell. You could also order one directly from Savage. You'll add about 9 to 10 oz to your rifle weight by converting from blind to HFP. Your current blind magazine and follower should attach directly to the HFP frame. SSS now carriers the hardware to convert the stock.

Basic Member

Yes, I'm a paid member - thanks for confirming that Savage makes what I'm looking for. I may troll for a used one.

Thanks!
    Just a guy.

hailstone

Unfortunately all mine are LA blind magazines with one being inleted for the bottom metal. Trying too find laminated wood stocks routed for the bottom metal in correct screw spacing but so far choices have been limited. There available but seem too be gold plated judging by price.