Thread: Magazine Conversion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Magazine Conversion

DISCLAIMER: ***I already tried using the search function but could not find an answer*** 8)

Can a SA Savage with a detachable magazine be converted to an internal/blind feed by simply purchasing a box, spring, and follower? Are the appropriate holes already drilled in the action to mount the box or does it have to be retro fitted?

hailstone

Re: Magazine Conversion

You already have most of the parts too do what you want. There's a 90 degree angle bracket the holds the rear of the blind magazine in the stock. This is sandwiched between the front action hole/action and the stock. The bottom cap just clips on the blind magazine/spring follower assembly so if you squeeze the sides it will come off. You will need a different stock as your present stock is inletted for the bottom metal of the DBM. There are no holes too drill if you get the correct stock for your SA.

Basic Member

Calcoyote, what stock do you have? I've been considering going the other way - maybe we can help each other out.
    Just a guy.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty
    Calcoyote, what stock do you have? I've been considering going the other way - maybe we can help each other out.
    Heavy,

Its a long story... I have a 10FP in the a 223 that I was originally thinking of converting to sporter weight 243 (The FP has a bull barrel). I bought a sporter stock from Jim over at Northland and sanded/painted it up all pretty. Now I have decided to sell the 10FP outright and just buy a new 243 and put a Rifle Basix trigger in it. However, ALL of the cheapy $399 Savages without the accutrigger have the detachable mag. I just don't want all my work on the other stock to go for nothing. I have gone to 6-7 stores up here in Oregon and can't find any non accutriggers with an internal/blind mag. Does this make sense?

What are the advantages of having a detachable mag other than being able to carry extra clips?

Basic Member

Cal, that's pretty much it from what I can tell - and I don't personally consider it to be an advantage! Is a blind centerfeed SA Tupperware stock what you're trying to find?

Like I mentioned I'm considering going the other way - from a blind magazine on my sporter barreled Stevens 200 to a hinged floorplate. I don't want a detachable mag either.
    Just a guy.

I already have the SA blind feed stock (it is a staggered feed). My problem is that all the new non-accutrigger Savages are detachable mag.

Question: The staggered feed is the type that the magazine is NOT part of the stock. That is centerfeed. Am I right on this?

Basic Member

I'm new to these, but I believe your statement is correct - staggerfeed = magazine attached to action, centerfeed = magazine attached to stock.
    Just a guy.

hailstone

Didn't know Savage was making any non-Accua-Trigger models. Stevens sells them without the Accua-Triggers and Savage makes Stevens. So which make are you talking about? Original post you stated you wanted to convert a SA with DBM. Later you saying its has a staggered feed setup. Do you really know what you have?

Two things, the screw spacing for a stagger feed will be 4.25 and the centerfeed will be 4.40.
    The stagger feed mag is attached to the action,the center feed is set in the stock. The mags ARE NOT INTERCHANGABLE.
    You can use a center feed in a stagger feed stock with modifications as long as the screw spacing is right.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

pa_wdchuckhuntr

Savage model 11/111 FCXP3 non-accutrigger DBM centerfeed rifle. They're the only non-accutrigger centerfeed Savage markets, they're a package series rifle.

As mentioned, with a DBM stock you have all the parts you need minus a small bracket and the blind mag stock of course. Of course the simplest thing to do if you were worried about losing the DBM would be to glue it in place... Considering I just spent $100 on bottom metal to change a centerfeed blind magazine Stevens over to a DBM setup the thought of that makes me cringe.

Quote Originally Posted by hailstone
    Didn't know Savage was making any non-Accua-Trigger models. Stevens sells them without the Accua-Triggers and Savage makes Stevens. So which make are you talking about? Original post you stated you wanted to convert a SA with DBM. Later you saying its has a staggered feed setup. Do you really know what you have?
    Hail,
    You can purchase $399 Savages (not Stevens brand) with a non-accutrigger. They are all detachable mags. The stock I have painted and customized is for a staggered feed internal mag with a sporter weight barrel. I was asking if I could buy a detachable mag and convert it over to an internal mag.

hailstone

Okay it can be done. Probably be best to call SSS and talk to Fred for the needed blind magazine. I know there available but some of the product descriptions at Midway, Brownells and others leave a lot to be desired. You have the older style detachable magazine that if memory serves used a button in the side of the stock for release. Blind magazine will have little tabs on front and rear that insert into slots cut in receiver.

From your post I gather that the Model 14 which is new, DBM, walnut stock rifle with Accua-Trigger for $500 at my local dealer is a steal. Never seen what your describing in my area. They are Savage with Accua-Triggers or Stevens without. The Stevens will all be blind magazine center feed while the Savages could be DBM, HFP or blind magazine. Guess I need to make a visit tomorrow for a new toy. Should be nice rebarreled into a 338 Federal or 358 Winchester. Thanks Calcoyote!!

pa_wdchuckhuntr

I saw the model 11/111 FCXP3's as low as $330 last fall. I bought one for $350. If you wait a better price may come around.