Thread: Iron sights added to bull barrel?

Iron sights added to bull barrel?

I recently purchased a Savage Mark II BTVLSS 22lr for outdoor league shooting. I was originally told I needed a decent rifle with a really good scope because we do some shooting at metal plates up to 225 yards. I picked this model as I really want a left hand gun in the sub-$500 price range and added the Nikon 3x9x40 Rimfire II scope to it. I found out today that we are also adding some indoor range shooting and iron sights are needed! I have been looking for add-on sights for this model, what I want is a rear sight that will fit on the scope rail and a clamp-on for the front with the bull barrel. Anybody know of such sights that will fit?

If you use a rail mounted rear sight your options are limited if you want a globe site. There might be some cheap combinations between Williams and Lyman I would need more info on your rifle. Mic your muzzle. The Suhl got some Anshutz sights back when they could be found for a good price used. These guys have some serious options. http://www.champchoice.com/store/Mai...mListBody&c=OP https://www.creedmoorsports.com/cate...ht-accessories
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    If you use a rail mounted rear sight your options are limited if you want a globe site. There might be some cheap combinations between Williams and Lyman I would need more info on your rifle. Mic your muzzle. The Suhl got some Anshutz sights back when they could be found for a good price used. These guys have some serious options. http://www.champchoice.com/store/Mai...mListBody&c=OP https://www.creedmoorsports.com/cate...ht-accessories
    Thanks for that link, I looked through the stuff they have listed and it's way above the type of shooting were doing. Our indoor range is only 15 yds. but they use a target with 1.5 inch squares and most scopes are zeroed for 50 yds. and above. I think I found a set from LPA but do need to mic the barrel to find a clamp on front, the rear sight for the picatinny rail is easy. I don't want anything permanent so clamp-on will work fine.

I got the sights figured out or so I thought! The rear was easy as I ordered a EGW picatinny rail and I can use it for the scope or the rear sight that I got from UTG (MNT-910). The problem is the front clamp-on sight, there seems to be nothing made for a .800 barrel diameter anywhere that I can find. Surely I can't be the only one wanting to add iron sights to a bull barrel Savage 22lr.........

I'm trying this out on 64 FV SR with bull barrel...it fits. Hi-Viz Snap On Sight for Plain Barrel Shotgun

Dog Walker
    Maybe machine out the clamp to fit the bull barrel or a different style front sight , on my savage 93r17 with bull barrel (current project not done yet) I put a screw on rear Skinner Peep Sight (done , no rail or mounts needed easy install two screws and done), the front after I use the online calculator or range test to determine the height I will order a Skinner dovetail front sight, the fat bull barrel should be easy to work with , 75 dollars for a machine cut and install.