Thread: Vortex Crossfire ll 6.6-18x44 opinion

Basic Member

Vortex Crossfire ll 6.5-18x44 opinion

Thinking of bumping up mag a bit from my Mueller APV 4.5-14x40 for my 223. Might move it to a 17HMR new B series if any reviews ever come in and they are positive. I am satisfied with the Mueller.
    Anyway, the Crossfire II is a Cabelas special right now for $139.99(normally $219 and what most others have it for right now). Realize it is entry level but my use is recreational with occasional use. Would the difference be negligible, or enough to see somewhat of a difference for my old eyes? Would I need to go to at least 20x to see much change?
    There are a few older review threads on here with most being on the previous model.
    Hoping my med. Zee Sig. rings would handle a 44mm bell.
    What you say?

Basic Member
    Well, I did order and receive the Crossfire ll. I'll do a quick review for those that later do a search for this scope.
    I have only a Mueller APV 4.5-14 to compare it to. Tried my best to put them side by side looking at one, then the other. I do not have a trained eye for optics.
    With both on full power, it is difficult to see much difference in magnification, partly maybe because of bell diameter. The Vortex does have more eye relief and a longer sight picture. That may be a plus or minus, once I get it mounted and to the range. The Vortex may be slightly more clear when concentrating on a particular item in the sight picture, but the overall view was nearly a tie. with the edge to the Vortex. I think both scopes have pretty good edge clarity. Reticle on the Crossfire is much thicker except for the center where they are about the same. Either one works well. The AO might be slightly better for focus on the Vortex. Adjustment clicks are a bit more crisp on the Mueller. Once sighted in, the Vortex adjustment rings can be removed with a screw driver and set back to zero.
    If the Vortex were not on sale at a deep discount, then for those considering one or the other, the Mueller would win for a medium power scope.
    Only time will tell as far as dependability is concerned. The Vortex has a lifetime warranty for any owner, and the Mueller has a lifetime warranty for the original purchaser.
    They are both entry level scopes, but for the casual or recreational user, either will perform well.

Edit after a field trial.
    Got a little better perception at the range. The Vortex 18x versus the 14x is noticeably apparent. Not a huge difference, but it does bring the target closer. The sight picture is a bit more clear, but would not be a deal breaker. The duplex reticle is much thicker on the Vortex, but once I made a few shots, it was not an issue. The crosshairs are about the same thickness. I still would need the Vortex at a deep discount.

O, forgot to add that the medium Signature Zee's were absolutely perfect. Couldn't even get the protective covers on without cutting a slot in the bottom.

Basic Member
    I know the scope (vortex crossfire II) can't take the recoil from a 7.62x54r for very long, I've sent mine back for replacement twice. The warranty is great if you don't mind the hassle of packing it up and paying to ship it. Last time they sent me a replacement (close to 2 years ago) I left it in the box sitting on the floor and haven't touched it since.

Basic Member
    Well, that's certainly news I don't like to hear. Mine will be on a .223. I had a conversation with Texas10, and he has been very pleased with his. It is the v-brite version, but should not make any difference. This is a gamble with an entry level scope. Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you.

I have that crossfire II on my daughters 243. Its been on there for over a year and still works. Even taken it out to 1000 yards.

Basic Member
    Yours will be fine, I have a sneaking suspicion that the replacements they send are refurbs.

Cheap scopes can ruin your day.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    It's funny how long it took for me to learn that lesson. Big bore shooting every week tends to cull the weaker designs off the top of the rifle. I found that the Millett TRS1 is built like a tank and holds up to everything I own. I was tough coughing up the extra $100 at first but now I've got 3 of them, two on 54r rifles and one on a .308. Then last year I bought a used Leupold 24x with tall turrets and fine crosshairs, I figure it was from the 60's/70's. The turrets had been switched by some previous owner so not only were windage and elevation knobs marked wrong but the adjustment directions were reversed. I sent it back to Leupold and they not only switched the turrets back but also replaced a lens and a damaged retaining ring, adjusted the optics and sent it back at no cost to me. I've moved the scope around to a few different rifles, still trying to pick the best home for it. My last two scope purchases were Sightron 8-32x 56's, both on my two Savages (.308 10FCP-K and .223 12FV).