Thread: Initial impressions of the Model 170

Basic Member

Initial impressions of the Model 170

Took my 170 B 35 Remington to pieces and found it not difficult at all. This rifle probably hadn't been taken down completely since 78, judging by the complete lack of lubrication in the trigger/ feed assembly. This one lacks the adjustable sear, rats, but a dab of molly lube on the engagement surfaces resulted in improvement of the pull.
    Generally, the quality of machining is typical 1970's. Kinda rough, but not negatively effecting function. The little tab on the bolt carrier that engages the slide bar, can and does fall out. Got to keep an eye on that. Once assembled, its fine.
    Don't like the roll pins in the bolt. Should be replaced and the trigger guard pin should be converted to a screw as is the rear one. Less to beat up or assemble incorrectly.
    I did find if you tighten the trigger guard screw too much, the slide release won't work.
    Why Savage went with a spring ejector is a mystery to me. A fixed blade type as currently positioned, would probably work fine.
    The forend is a bit loose on the slide tube. Have to correct that. Once I refinish it, I might just glass it and be done. No need to take it apart again.
    All in all, I am impressed with my rifle. Her bore is like a rolled up mirror, surprising for a Savage in my experience. Haven't slugged her yet, but those grooves look kinda shallow.
    I had no idea what to expect once I got in there. There are so many opinions about these rifles, mostly negative and 30 30 related, that i was a bit nervous. Hopefully her accuracy will be icing in the cake.

Basic Member
    Slugged her and got extremely uniform resistance tappingit through. No noticeable constriction under the rear sight dovetail. So. Bore diameter .351 and groove .358. Sweet... Ought to do well with cast.

Anything has to be better than those Lever Evolutions I know that.

Savage- "never say never".

Basic Member
    What's wrong with Leverevolutions? Tried them in 2 other 35's, both Marlins, and recoil wasn't terrible. Recoil isn't my friend do to a neck/shoulder injury.
    I like Hornady brass too. No splits. Can't saybthe same for Remington. Got numerous splits with factory loads.
    My local shop is well stocked with 35's. Both Remington loads and Leverevolution. Initialntesting will be with 200 grain Core Lokts. Love that bullet. Hey Remington! Make that bullet available to reloaders again! Please!

I found the Hornady LE's had a big kick to them in my 170, my Stevens 425's not so much.
    Savage- "never say never".

Basic Member
    Perhaps it's the stock design. The 170 would seem to have a better configuration for recoil control. Just have to try it. Hopefully I will shoot her for the first time tomorrow. Fingers crossed for good results!