Thread: .277 ELD-X Load data

.277 ELD-X Load data

Has anyone shot the new .277 145 gr. ELD-X?

What was your load data?
    Muzzle velocity?
    Length of barrel?

Inquiring minds want to know,

So the first load put together for the 145 grain .277 ELD-X:

50.5 grains of IMR 4451 loaded 2.75 OG With Winchester LR primer. Haven't shot it yet (probably this next weekend) as I'm bedding the 22-250 and will have some time after putting it in.

BTW, anybody else found a seating stem for the ELD-X that doesn't put a crease in the jacket? Can't believe how soft the jackets are....? I guess that's how they get them to open up at 1600 FPS?

I'm curious as to your results. I've got a box 162s for my 280AI I haven't tried yet.
    As to the softness, I read some posts somewhere a while back as I was just cruising online, and people were saying they were getting alot of fouling in magnum rounds when they pushed them pretty hard. I've not shot any myself so I can't personally say that, just what I've seen a couple places so there maybe something to that sof tress thing.
    Scooter

Well guys, here is a report: Although not really the best one I would like to have been able to offer.

3 of the first 4 shots went into the same hole @ 100 yards... problem was that it was 3" left of my hold point. My Pro varmint is starting to get broke in apparently... I fired 20 rounds of the 145 ELD-x trying to get something to group... other than the first 4 rounds nothing would group up. I started to think that maybe my Sightron SIII was the problem, but after I fired the last round and I was getting more and more frustrated, I checked my action screws. They had worked loose enough, that I had at least 2 turns on each screw before they were even snug again....

I didn't have anymore rounds loaded up, so I couldn't verify that on this trip. it was also raining, so I couldn't chronograph the load to see what velocities were. Now to the cleaning or "fouling" report.... After only 20 rounds, during cleaning I had excessive carbon buildup I guess it was, as I had a lot of this black gunk coming out of the barrel... After I few patches and a nylon brush, I foamed the bore and let it sit for 3-4 hours. I came back and ran a dry patch through and I had so much blue coming out it looked like the South Pacific around Tahiti!!!! The second patch through brought more of the black gunk out, so I brushed it again, ran a patch and then foamed again. another 4 hours, and all copper and black gunk gone at that point.

I have reloaded another 20 rounds although with R19 and R22 (54 & 58 grains respectively) and will give those a try.... I think the bullet has potential to be accurate judging from the first 4 rounds, but with my rifle going loose on me, I reserve my final thoughts until I can get back out and try it again with everything solid.

Good report...umm I think lol.
    All that blue would kinda add to your thoughts on them being pretty soft. Anxious to hear your next trips results.
    I usually try to check my action screws every time I head to the range...just in case.
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Quote Originally Posted by scooterf79 View Post
    Good report...umm I think lol.
    All that blue would kinda add to your thoughts on them being pretty soft. Anxious to hear your next trips results.
    I usually try to check my action screws every time I head to the range...just in case.
    I normally do as well... It's just that when I left the range last time I had bullet holes touching @ 200 yards.... Thought I had it "dialed in"... Lesson learned!! Will be pillar and glass bedding the stock once the 260 barrel shows up. That should help resolve this ongoing problem....

Sorry it wasn't the report I was hoping to give you Scooter.

No need for sorry lol....sounds about like my shooting trips...good one time then the wheels fall off 😂.
    I really like the idea and such behind these bullets. I've always had good luck with hornadys too.
    Scooter

No need for sorry lol....sounds about like my shooting trips...good one time then the wheels fall off .
    I really like the idea and such behind these bullets. I've always had good luck with hornadys too.
    Scooter
    I've always had good luck with Hornady for my 22-250 shooting the V-max/Z-max.... I am very much interested in the BC of these bullets for my quest to reach 1000 yards... as well as varminting at long range.
    the IMR 4451 load seemed like good one, although the FPS may have been a little low, but without a chronograph I can't be certain... It sure liked the first 4 rounds.

Just thought I'd follow up on this one for anybody who wanted to know. Got the rifle action screws tight before going out this weekend, amazing what a difference that makes!1 LOL.... Anyway, had 2 different loads worked up using R19 this time... had 2 (4 shot) groups @ 100 yards that were just a bit over 1/2" in size. It was raining again so I still haven't got the chronograph speeds yet, but will loading up some more of these R19 loads. I didn't seem to have near the carbon build up with the R19 that I did with the IMR 4451 either.

I like the bullet so far... Hope it performs on game as well as it shoots... Although I will be using the 6.5 mm bullet here shortly (as my .260 barrel is getting closer), But it should have similar results.

SRS

Sounds like you're onto something! Thanks for reporting back. I hope to be messing them soon in my 280AI. I've got its action down to a place getting it cerakoted. May get it back this week. I actually bought some Re19 a few weeks ago just to try in mine....those cases are similar so I maybe in luck.
    Scooter

Glad I could give you a little help there Scooter. My charge weight of R19 was 53.5 and 54 grains... one of them was a real shooter in that the bullet holes were all pretty much touching for just over 1/2" group. I wish I could tell you what the velocities were for either of those loads. Judging from felt recoil, I'd have to say they are probably running 2700 fps or just under, but I only have a 22" barrel on my .270.

Update: the 54 grain of R19 was the winner... MV was 2693 FPS... hitting a .5 inch dot a 200 yards. Reloader 22 was another good one @ 2741 but I couldn't extract the shell after shooting it... Had to use the cleaning rod to push the bolt back. (I may have a rough chamber in the 270) I noticed some roughing up or scratches in the body of my cases, but didn't have any other pressure signs...

Update: Found another good load... :) 54 grains of Ramshot Hunter!! 2874 FPS. out of a 22".... 5 shot group into 3 holes outside edge to outside edge was a 1/2 inch. 100 yard group. Will drop it back to 53 or 53.5 on the next batch of loads. just trying to get 2800 fps even to see if it tightens up the group anymore.

Still waiting on my CBI (chambered in 260 rem) to arrive.... Ordered in December 2016 (5 months later and still no barrel) it was supposed to be to me in 10-16 weeks.... ARGHHHH!!!!!

Sounds good! I just got my 280AI action back a couple weeks ago. Ive got it put back together, just have to mount my scope and hopefully I'll get to start working on the eld-x loads for it. Your loads sound really promosing....I hope mine shoots them that well!

I was right about that long on my cbi in 280AI. They had told me the same 12-16 weeks too. I know the pain lol
    Scooter.

I was right about that long on my cbi in 280AI. They had told me the same 12-16 weeks too. I know the pain lol
    Scooter.
    Scooter, So are you saying you just got your CBI delivered recently...? Just curious as to when you ordered yours? I've got my fingers crossed that James is somewhat correct after his 3rd attempt... I'm just terrified that my "end of May" quote he gave me in April won't turn into "end of June"... It will have been 22 weeks on May 30th....

No sir, I should have clarified. I ordered mine in 2014, but I was given the same time frame "12-16 weeks". I was right about 5mos before mine showed up.
    I called a couple of times too....to verify everything was on track. I was dealing with Jim at the time before he turned it over to James. It's all in CBIs hands, as NSS doesn't do any of the barrel work.

Hate to hear it's been so long, it sucks, but I'm sure you will be pleased once you shoot it.
    Last edited by scooterf79; 05-10-2017 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Added info

Hey Thanks for the reply Scooter... :)

I know it's not James's fault... However, he should learn the old Saying in Business.... "Under Promise and Over Deliver"... He should update his time frame to be more realistic when people call to order barrels. He may lose a little business to someone else who can provide a barrel sooner, but he at least won't ruin the reputation that JIM worked so hard to build.

Update: Barrel finally shipped on May 10, 2017 So, (lead times are running about 20 weeks) just an FYI for anyone thinking about ordering a CBI from NSS.