Thread: after market extractor

rp85

after market extractor

hello;

some savage rifles have extraction problems. the bolt will not fully extract a fired case. my savage middle 16fls has this problems. savage is aware of this problem and their solution is to sell you another extractor. been there, done that.

there is a person selling an aftermarket extractor. purchased an extractor from this person and when i asked for guidance on how much to remove (file) to fit the new extractor, was told “file to fit”. so much for guidance. basically you are on your own when fitting the aftermarket extractor.

the purpose of this posting is to provide input on how i fit this new extractor. don’t know if it’s right or does it solve extraction problems because i have not test fired the rifle yet. If you attempt to replace the factory extractor with a after market extractor at least you will have a stating place.

the detent ball is a major problem. trust me, the detent ball will fly on its own to parts unknown. the way i fought this problem was to take a piece of 2” wide, 6 “ long clear tape. (the tape used on boxes when shipping).

took a piece @6” long and made a “tent” over the face of the bolt, just large enough to slide a finger into. one side will be used for your finger to slide the extractor in place and the other side for a very small screw driver to compress the detent ball into the detent spring. this tent will catch the flying detent ball, it’s going to happen.

you will need a small jewelers file and a pair of vice gripes.

the dimensions of a factory extractor .217” ( length of the part that grabs the rim of a fired case) x .277” (side that fits into the grove on bolt face).

the dimensions of the after market extractor are .270” (length of the part that grabs the rim of a fired case) x .285” (side that fits into the grove on bolt face).

the bevel angle on the aftermarket must be “adjusted”. just “eye-balled” and hoping for the best.

filing to fit means it took @ 12 tries to get things working right, i hope. at last now the extraction on win., r&p, and fed. cases are very positive. fed case gave me the most problems, meaning the length of the part that extracts was filed to make shorter.

finial size of aftermarket extractor; the length of the part to remove a fire case is now .239”. the part that fits into the grove on the bolt face is now .279”, removed @006” to fit into the grove.

hope this input helps.

rp

Re: after market extractor

Next time you take one apart, do it in a plastic sandwich baggie or ziplock, or what ever you want to name it.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

rp85

hello;

GREAT IDEA!!!! a 1 gal zip loc bag might just be perfect.

thanks

rp

... or just turn it upside down.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,10681.0.html

BTW, Fred has cured some extraction issues by replacing the detent ball with a slightly larger one.

Dana
    VISA loves me since I joined this site.

Skunce

Who did you buy the oversized extractor from?

rp85

hello;

sharp shooter supply, $10 for the extractor, $2 shipping.

oversize detent ball did not solve my extraction problem. considered selling rifle and its extra barrel, but just could not sell the rifle knowing it had issues.

rp

slipp

Well I went though this whole problem last year savage sent me all the parts for free my problem was a mostly a week ejector spring and with a week ejector spring the case wasn't pushed hard enough into the extractor changed it cleaned the bolt head they sent all the parts so I replaced them all and shes worked ever since gonna get a few larger detente balls next time I order from SSS thanks slipp