Thread: 260 Remington barrel?

Basic Member

260 Remington barrel?

I have a Savage model 16 in 260 that I can't seem to make shoot. I've tried H4350, 4064 and several bullets and it isn't very impressive. This is a hunting rifle so I'm not looking at making it a bench weight rig. I've had shoulder surgery and would like to stay with 120-130 gr bullets for the recoil, otherwise I'd shoot my 06 with 150 gr bullets.

The rifle is bedded in a Boyds thumbhole stock and shoots no better than it did in the factory plastic stock.

I'd like something 22-24" in a light/medium contour that will shoot 120-130 gr bullets well. Any suggestions?

BTW, I want to stay with a 260.

Thanks.

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/m...terion-savage/

Here's the barrel I just ordered for my 260 Rem Match... I have two other of these barrels, both in 22-250 and they are 5 in a nickel @100 yards accurate. Another member on here PSHARON97 already has the same barrel (in 260 rem) and is shooting lights out with it.

There are other good ones too, but I have experience with the Criterion.

Basic Member
    Another vote for CBI. I have one in 6.5x55 that shoots many different loads moa or less. They are great barrels with no wait time if NSS has it in stock.

Banned
    While I am partial to Shilen because I have one (and gotten some 1/4 groups out of it aka 30-06 Bull) Criterion impresses me.

A few times a bad barrel has been mention on the forum and they want it back and they want it back now.

You have to love aggressive customer service!

I don't think there would be any issues with Shilen either but CB is very public and I appreciated that.

I have an XC and currently its a bit behind the Shilen for consistent accuracy.

I have a Lothar Walther barrel on the way so I will report on that in 6 weeks or so.

They happen to have the reamer for the 7.5 Swiss chamber I wanted, otherwise I would have tried CB.

I could have gone CB but then a gun shop, buy the reamer etc so LW was lower cost and I do prefer it all from one source for the barrel and chamber, thread work.

Basic Member
    The rifle is currently at Savage. I had a local smith check the bore with a bore scope. It was awful so I called Savage and was told to send it back so they can look at it. Time will tell how they handle it.

Photo's here.
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...60-won-t-shoot!

Banned
    I saw those pictures.

don't feel too bad, my nephew got a Sig pistol and the cases had rings on them.

Bad machining in the chamber.

I didn't think Sig would let something like that get past them, they sure did.

Basic Member
    The 260 barrel I have from CBI is very impressive, but so are most other barrels in this price range. There are so many great powders that work well in 260. Some powders that gave great results: H4831sc, H4350, Reloader 19, and IMR 4451. H4831sc has given impressive groups, but I have to run compressed loads to get to 2700fps. H4350 also gave nice groups, but I was able to get +150fps out of the rifle.

What bullet are you shooting?
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

[QUOTE=What bullet are you shooting?[/QUOTE]

said 120-130 grain bullets.

Basic Member
    Nosler 120 gr Ballistic Tip Hunting.
    Sierra 120 gr Pro Hunter
    Hornady 123 gr SST
    Berger 130 gr Hunting VLD

Also have 100 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip Hunting.

Basic Member
    Quick update, Savage has replaced the barrel at no cost, the rifle is ready for testing and then will be shipped back to me. Kudo's to Savage.