Thread: Question on safe operation on a 1st year 110

Question on safe operation on a early production year 110

I now own a early production year 110. The 4 digit serial number is 7xxx.
    This rife was owned by my wife's dad who had passed away when she was two. Her uncle had owned the rifle since her dad's passing. Anyway, I am trying to find information on the operation of the safety. I had cleaned the rifle and took it to the range but did not shoot it because I was not sure if the safety was working correctly. The rifle overall is in very good original shape and not abused at all, but you can tell it has been used. It has a 2 position safety.
    After working the bolt, the safety can be moved from safe to fire position but not back again if not fired. I have to partially work the bolt up and down and then it can be reset. Is this the normal operation? I have various other brands of rifles but have not had this "condition" before and also another 110 with a 3 position safety.
    Thank you for any light that you can shed on this question.

Camo

Basic Member
    Was thinking about your question. Can you still dry fire it? That is, after it went from safety to fire, but won't go back to safety?

If that is the case, it may be an adjustment. Have you taken it out of the stock to watch what happens to the sear and trigger?

hereinaz,
    After now working the safety dozens of times in appears that it is a 3 position safety. It seems that it might be just dirty and gummy.
    It has a back position where the bolt is locked, a middle position where the bolt is free but trigger is locked and a front position when it can be fired. When pushing the safety forward I have to put quite a bit of pressure on it to get it to move so it is very easy to go right through the middle spot to the firing position. Once in this position it takes a lot of pressure to get it to move back to the safe position. My thumb is pretty sore from trying to move it. It appears a good cleaning is in order.
    Thank you for your response.

Camo

Basic Member
    A good cleaning will help a lot. I have been in that same situation. If you go through the archives on the Savage shooter, you should be able to find how to adjust the safety if you need to. It would be included in how to adjust a 3 screw trigger. I don't know exactly whether it applies to a trigger that old, but I believe it does. If you feel comfortable making a judgment and checking the safety and Trigger then go for it. Otherwise a gunsmith can get that thing fixed right up.

Thanks again,
    I will see if I can find the info. If it looks to involved I will take it to a smith.

Camo