Thread: crow hunting and calls

possum1

crow hunting and calls

I'm getting tired of shooting paper. I'm wanting to try and call some crows up in the back yard, got a pretty good size yard, and was wondering if anyone has tried this call. I know it's cheap, but don't want to spend bucks. Also will have decoy's. http://johnnystewart.com/Updateable/...&categoryID=15

stevec

Re: crow hunting and calls

Never used that one. One thing that seems to matter with crows is lots of volume until they get close. I tried a couple of cheap off brand electronic callers but they didnt have the volume so I went back to my Johny Stewart tape caller.

We do a lot of crow work with shotguns, but from time to time I will turn on the call and when the crows start in, I turn it off. They will usually post up in a tree in the distance and give a good rifle target.

Have you checked out http://allpredatorcalls.com/

Steve

possum1

Don't think volume would matter as I am around plenty timber and I here them quite frequently. Main thing is getting them on the ground to get a rifle shot. Used to hunt them alot with shot gun year's ago when they would come in and perch in the tree's.

tenwalker

I just went on ebay and bought a cassette tape that said crow call and went to a rummage sale and bought an old (1980's) battery operated cassette player. I take it out turn it on and they come screaming in just begging to be shot. I think I have $15 invested. And you can kill crows all day. Just need some camo and different places to set up. You don't need those expensive electronic calls. It is a good way to burn up all those old shotgun shells that are laying around. The first time I used this player I had five crows overhead in less then 10 min. Well within shot gun range.

lostart

Get a bird feeder with the cheap walmart bird seed.....they love it.

Basic Member

"Get a bird feeder ............ "

........ don't they call that "bait and switch"? ...........

:D

Three 44s

stevec

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s
    "Get a bird feeder ............ "

........ don't they call that "bait and switch"? ...........

:D

Three 44s

I think its called "Bait and Pop" ;D

Steve

possum1

Made me up a cheap caller today. MP3-$20, mini-amp $16, and already had the power horn speaker from the old day's. It's got plenty of volume, surprised the h#ll out of me. Going to try it out in the morning, hopefully get some crow shot's and see some feather's fly.

Basic Member

I wish you could shoot crows year round here,they don't come back in season till December i think.

There are tons of them here in town always making noise all day long,I'm gonna have to get a decent air rifle soon for those things.

Good luck

the U.S. had to put a season on them if we wanted mexico to put a season on ducks.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

possum1

I'm fortunate I guess, everything that come's through my back yard is in season for me ::)

True story here:

Home made IED's consisting of copper pipe, bb's, Estes rocket engines, twisted stainless wire detonator, 100 foot extension cord. Pie plate full of bird seed. Wait for large gathering of blackbirds and or crows. Plug in extension cord and instant carnage!

I admit no involvement other than actually witnessing the event on more than one occasion.
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

Basic Member

I personally witnessed dis-assembled Estes engines in non-rockets as well. Amazing burn rate!