Thread: 22 Hornet Model 40 single shot...

22 Hornet Model 40 single shot...

is wicked accurate! :-) Just got back from the local shooting range where I got 15 shots off before I got rained out and the paper target dissolved, ruining my proof. I hadn't shot this gun for a couple of months and, being a senior, I forgot how accurate it is. I've only shot my standard 22 Hornet handload in it, so I don't know how factory ammo would do, but I'm still smiling at how well this gun shoots what I load. I happen to like using single shot actions, even a fussy one like this. I imagine more folks wanted a mag-fed repeater, so I understand why Savage discontinued the 40 in favor of the Model 25. I haven't shot a Model 25, so I can't compare the single-shot 40 to the repeater. I hope I can sometime.

Bottom line: If you are ever in a position to buy one of these Model 40s, do it!

Here it is with its original thumbhole stock. I've since put it in a factory (Boyds) standard stock of the same color.

Lake trout
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...2&l=fa3ccaa972 Only photo I have of my model 40. But your right,its a tack driver with Hornadys 35 V Max bullet and Hodgdens Lil gun ..gun powder.....I have read that some owners have had exstraction issues with their m 40s . I did a few yrs back . The problem was the old 22 Hornet brass I was using.

Lake trout

Another photo. Model 40 in 22 hornet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lake trout View Post
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...2&l=fa3ccaa972 Only photo I have of my model 40. But your right,its a tack driver with Hornadys 35 V Max bullet and Hodgdens Lil gun ..gun powder.....I have read that some owners have had exstraction issues with their m 40s . I did a few yrs back . The problem was the old 22 Hornet brass I was using.
    Thanks for posting the photo of your Model 40. I agree with you about the correlation between old brass and extraction problems. I had problems with old R-P nickel plated, but with the Nosler cases absolutely no problems, even after three or four resizings/reloadings. I think Hornady brass is the worst I ever used. It was thin and brittle, and I suspect would be troublesome for the Model 40 or 25.

Lake trout
    Quote Originally Posted by kimberkook View Post
    Thanks for posting the photo of your Model 40. I agree with you about the correlation between old brass and extraction problems. I had problems with old R-P nickel plated, but with the Nosler cases absolutely no problems, even after three or four resizings/reloadings. I think Hornady brass is the worst I ever used. It was thin and brittle, and I suspect would be troublesome for the Model 40 or 25.

Here is a 90 yd shot from my Savage 40 in 22 Hornet...little 35 gr V Max puts a nice hole in Mr Crow..