Thread: Model 12 Varminter Low Profile (VLP) question about rings/base options

New2Shoot

Model 12 Varminter Low Profile (VLP) question about rings/base options

Hello all! I'm a new member and this is my first post here. I just purchased my first rifle, which I picked up from the FFL last week. Now for the oh so talked about dilemma.... Scope,Rings, Bases. I've been looking at 3 different scopes, but pretty much decided(95% sure) to go with the Burris XTR II 3-15X50 FFP SCR/MOA. This has a 34mm tube, which will require 34mm rings. I'll need a base as well, I believe. I'm under the impression that a 1 piece base offers a more solid attachment to the rifle, removes issues with 2 piece alignment, & decreases the probability of unintended cant. I have been researching the heck out of these several optics issues/concerns, but would now like some input from more experienced shooters. I've already settled on a good quality rifle & optic, but now need advice on quality rings and a base. Please realize that I have zero experience precision shooting, but own handguns and thought this'd be fun to learn as well as acquiring new skills. I believe in buy quality, buy right, & buy once. This rig once completed will out shoot me for a while. I will have spent a little over $2k for this setup once complete, but it'll be worth it for the quality of the build. I'm not interested in getting any E-Bay or Chinese knock off brand that'll fail soon after it's installed. I'd appreciate any advice on some solid rings & base choices from reputable manufacturers. Thanks!!

Basic Member
    Burris xtr rings will serve you well. If ya want a little cheaper get some Warne rings. Never used a set of Warne that leaves a mark on the scope.

New2Shoot
    Thanks for the input! Would they be best at low height? Also a base is needed for these I think. Any thoughts on that? Sorry, I just don't have any practical experience in this field yet & am unaware of what's good or garbage.

Basic Member
    Egw for a one piece, if ya want 2 piece go burris xtb

Team Savage
    EGW base & Burris Sig rings

Basic Member
    Been looking at one piece bases for my VPL. It's around $40 for a 6061 aluminum base, $80 for a 7071 aluminum base and $100 for the steel base. I like steel, the VLP is already a heavy gun, to use aluminum to save weight is kinda mute. I went with the Valdada rings, steel, super strong, high quality. With a Vortex 6-24x50, one-piece base (20 moa) I could still used the low rings. I bought my VLP used and it came with a Weaver alum base that the screws had been over torqued (over torqued or cheap aluminum?), the metal around the screw holes were all deformed. Steel is best, JMHO.

Basic Member
    I have a Farrel base and seekins rings on all three of my savages. I think the seekins are the best rings for the money. In the future I'll be buying ARC rings.

New2Shoot
    Thanks to you all for the advice & options. Now it's time for some research. I'll start looking these up now so I'll know if I run across a deal. There is a gun show going on tomorrow a few cities over that I plan on attending.

New2Shoot
    I was looking at some bases and have another question. What is the difference between the flat back mount & rounded back mount? Also with a 50mm objective on the Burris XTR will low rings have enough clearance so the bell of the scope does not touch the barrel?