Thread: Low lead time barrel

Low lead time barrel

I'm looking to pick up a 7mm-08, 1-9, heavy palma and pretty much everywhere I've looked has a minimum a 6 week turn around. Anyone know of a place with less than that? Or is it an industry standard?

Banned
    Try ER Shaw?

Not the greatest, about Savage Grade OEM but quite a lot out there.

If you list who you have tried we can avoid repeats.

A less common profile will cost you more time for this reason. The Savage prefit barrel providers stock a few common profiles. Stocking profiled blanks minimizes the wait time Once you venture outside of those profiles, they will have to custom order your blank. If you are after a premium barrel makers product you will have to get in line behind a rather large waiting list. So essentially you are asking for a custom barrel. You know your profile, the next decision is which barrel makers that you consider acceptable, at that point like RC20 eluded to we can narrow down the gunsmiths/barrel manufacturer that will chamber your barrel profile. To be honest, I would consider myself fortunate if I could get one of the top 5 or 6 barrel makers to provide the profile you want in the chambering you would like in 6 weeks. Even more so if I needed a custom specifications on the reamer. The discerning shooter may wait 5 or 6 months for a quality tube in the chambering and profile he desires.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    The frustrating part is when the 6 weeks turns into 6 months. I use X-Caliber quite a bit for this reason. So far, if they say 4 to 6, it's 4 to 6.

Basic Member
    Check with XCaliber, Northland Shooter Supply, and Shilen...

Banned
    Mix up

Banned
    NSS will cover both Criterions and Shilen for supply. That's my first choice as Jim bird dogs it so I don't have to.

My 30-06 Bull was unheard of. Took 3 or 4 months from Shilen.

I was surprised, there is a lot of interest in in HB 30-06 but no one seems to fill it (very possible a lot of talk and not Savage types and don't know how to go about it)

As noted, its a profile thing. I think I could get a heavy hunter but did not want that so enjoyed the wait playing with an XC

Basic Member
    Check with the folks mentioned above. They might accidentally have something in stock someone backed out of or cancelled or know of something someplace. I've gotten lucky a few times like that when I'm looking.

Banned
    And if not, its the way it goes. I just adjusted and got the XC which I wanted to do anyway and had fun with it.

Basic Member
    I called and ordered a Shilen today. They said blanks are 2-4 weeks, but I didn't ask about pre-fits.

Banned
    I thought I was ok with my wait then got antsy to start in. I understand the annoyance.

Hopefully this is taken as a thought for future and possible .

I think Jim had a quote for 2 months with Shilen and it wound up a good 3 or 4 months.

I learned my lesson on motorcycles years back. I had two and both were down for repairs (somewhat options, leaks on both I think) and then I had some great weather and wanted to go riding and it was not going to happen.

After that I tried to be sure to have one available at all times.

With the guns I have 3 now I can shoot seriously. (not counting come collectors that are fun but not target)

My take was sooner or latter (and likely sooner the way I shoot) I am going to need a new barrel. The 06 Bull will definitely be a long lead time.

I am going to mark up my military Throat Erosion gauge for the 06 one so I can keep an eye on it and get it going gin plenty of time.

You can also do that with maximum bullet length of a given mfg/type/grain and see it moving out.

I think 6 weeks is a bit of a tough ask, though you may find something if you shop around... I picked up exactly what you're looking at (7-08, 1:9, S8 heavy bull) from Shilen, and it took right at 4 months to get back.