Thread: First Long-ish Range Rifle - Savage 10 FCP-SR .308

donttread776

First Long-ish Range Rifle - Savage 10 FCP-SR .308

Just wanted to share some pictures of the rifle I set up to get into some long-ish range shooting. I'm considering this a "medium" range gun (<1000yds), and plan on building something specifically for 1000+ yards later on after I learn with this gun and more importantly find somewhere to shoot that far.

Savage 10 FCP-SR .308 20" Barrel
    Vortex HS-T 6-24x50 with vortex precision matched rings
    20 MOA Nightforce rail
    Harris Bipod (Hawks Hill Custom bipod spikes coming soon)
    Accushot monopod
    Silencer-co brake (temporary until Gemtech is out of ATF jail)

The farm I shoot at now I can get to 700 yards so that's the furthest I've got her out. It's been a blast and I really happy with how accurate this rifle is out of the box as long as I'm doing my part (which I'm still learning!). Not going to get into super detail about group size or anything but I will share one of my targets from when I was zeroing at 100 with 168g Federal SMK BTHP

Team Savage
    Looks great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by drybean View Post
    Looks great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ditto. Nice range. If the wind starts to spread your groups try some 175 185 or 190 grain bullets
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Yeah, if that's a 1:10 twist, the Berger 185 VLD hunting bullet will get out to 1,000 yds. from a 22" barrel. But I'm betting that the Berger 200.20x bullet will get to 1,000 for sure. Anyway, it's all a wind-judging game beyond 300 yards, and your rifle is plenty accurate. The fun is out to 600 yds. Beyond 750 yds. it's work. 168-175 Federal GMM will get to 600 yds and be plenty competitive.

donttread776
    yeah it's a 1:10
    20" barrel though

Basic Member
    If you load it with a Berger 185 hunting VLD in a Lake City Case, using RL-17, you can get a muzzle velocity of 2600 fps, and that will get to 1,000 yds. Besides, it's a Savage, so you can get the gear to change your own barrel by calling Northland Shooters Supply, and you can change to any short-action caliber you want, with the same bolt face as a .308, or just get a honkin' big barrel for long-range. Either way, this gun will go to 1,000. Again, that's not my favorite thing, since you have to have a puller in the pit. At 500-600 yards, with Shoot N See patches, you can most likely make out your own impacts, which greatly facilitates learning the wind.

donttread776
    Quote Originally Posted by jim_k View Post
    If you load it with a Berger 185 hunting VLD in a Lake City Case, using RL-17, you can get a muzzle velocity of 2600 fps, and that will get to 1,000 yds. Besides, it's a Savage, so you can get the gear to change your own barrel by calling Northland Shooters Supply, and you can change to any short-action caliber you want, with the same bolt face as a .308, or just get a honkin' big barrel for long-range. Either way, this gun will go to 1,000. Again, that's not my favorite thing, since you have to have a puller in the pit. At 500-600 yards, with Shoot N See patches, you can most likely make out your own impacts, which greatly facilitates learning the wind.
    looks like I need to get into re-loading. been thinking about it.

Looks great! +1 on the nice range too! Looks like a great place to shoot! Looks like your rifle is plenty accurate too! You're going down a long, addicting trail my friend....just be forewarned!
    Scooter

Basic Member
    +1 on the 185 Berger but look at the Juggernaut too. My .308 is a Howa in a B&C stock with a 20" barrel and I'm getting almost 2600fps out of 46.0 gr of VV N550 in Lapua brass. Crazy accurate and still supersonic to 1000. The bullet bucks the wind big time

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk