Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Savage 12 LRP

Basic Member

Savage 12 LRP

Glad to be here.. NE Missouri shooter. Got my first Savage today. 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor top with a Nightforce SHV 5-20x56. Hoping this will be a good shooter. Trying to get into 1000 yards shooting Feed back is welcome.

IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170301/a3692b86978da5fa11d71c3ff9425a8a.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    That will get you to 1000 pretty readily...

Basic Member
    Thanks...

Nice rig. Post some target pics when you get them.
    VISA loves me since I joined this site.

Basic Member
    Thanks.. Will do.

Basic Member
    That should do the job, nice. Look forward to range report.

Basic Member
    Looks just like mine. Not exactly a lightweight rifle ehh? It seems more sensitive to consistent bipod loading than my other rifles. Hornady 140 ELD is it's favorite ammo. The action screws were at about 30 inch pounds when I got it. 65 inch pounds was what I was told they should be, by tech support. I found the comb to be too low after mounting the scope with a 20 MOA rail. The Karsten cheek riser worked well for me. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by zach_ View Post
    Looks just like mine. Not exactly a lightweight rifle ehh? It seems more sensitive to consistent bipod loading than my other rifles. Hornady 140 ELD is it's favorite ammo. The action screws were at about 30 inch pounds when I got it. 65 inch pounds was what I was told they should be, by tech support. I found the comb to be too low after mounting the scope with a 20 MOA rail. The Karsten cheek riser worked well for me. Enjoy.
    In my opinion, 65 in/lbs is a little too much for a Savage receiver, no matter what stock it's sitting in.

If you must,... 50 in/lbs would be the MAX I would torque them to.

Most Savage centerfire receivers are happy between 35 and 45 in/lbs.

Basic Member
    Thanks for all of the information. I will share range reports on Friday.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero333 View Post
    In my opinion, 65 in/lbs is a little too much for a Savage receiver, no matter what stock it's sitting in.

If you must,... 50 in/lbs would be the MAX I would torque them to.

Most Savage centerfire receivers are happy between 35 and 45 in/lbs.
    Where did you get your info? I called Savage as I could not find a tech spec. anywhere. I was able to turn the first screw with little effort to remove for my initial cleaning. That is when I checked the second. Other actions recommend 65 inch pounds (my remmys). Several fellow shooters said the same. I will dig more after I drop what I am doing and take back my action screws to finger tight before firing again.

Nice, looks familiar! I have the same rifle, but with the 4-14 SHV in Nightforce rings. Great rifle, 99/9X, 100/8X groups at 600 yards! I'm using handloads, Berger 140 hybrid with IMR 4451 powder. I am also at 65 inch pounds for the action screws. Have fun!

Basic Member
    I am taking it out tomorrow 1000-1500 yards. I will share some pictures if I can.

Basic Member
    Mine shoots great, as good as my custom rifle. :)

Basic Member
    Finally got to shoot the 12 LRP today. 100 yards hits with Temp 40, wind 12 mph, using Winchester 140 GR. 5 Hits 1000 yards using the same ammo. Love this rifle.

Basic Member
    Sorry not trying to be an ass. Those are not great groups at 100yds. Looks like about a 2" MOA. Get some Hornady 140gr ELDX and try those. Even with a 10mph wind the LRP at 100yds should all be touching. What size targets did you use at 1000yds to have 5 hits? Send some pics.

Basic Member
    I know it could be better. The trigger is awesome, I need to get use to it for sure. I need a better rear bag or shooting rest. The target was 18x24 steel. I hit 3 out of 15 and my friend hit 2 out of 4 shots.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rondogg View Post
    Sorry not trying to be an ass. Those are not great groups at 100yds. Looks like about a 2" MOA. Get some Hornady 140gr ELDX and try those. Even with a 10mph wind the LRP at 100yds should all be touching. What size targets did you use at 1000yds to have 5 hits? Send some pics.
    Must be a typo. Or using a BIG target. A full silhouette size target would have been big enough.
    I agree with the 140 eld. That Winchester ammo was not bad,.... for Winchester ammo in my gun. I don't think it is an SMK bullet. I hope Federal starts selling SMK, and SMK tipped 6.5 creedmopr ammo.

I called tech support again asking about a compatible factory 10 round magazine for the 6.5 creedmoor LRP. They gave me a part number that they claimed would work, but when I tried to order it from another part of the website, that section did not work. I had to get back to work and was unable to call back yesterday. The tech support person told me a different torque for the action screws as well. They said 30 to 35 inch pounds. I still wonder what the correct spec is???

Basic Member
    I hope Federal starts selling SMK, and SMK tipped 6.5 creedmopr ammo.
    Federal is releasing a 6.5mm CM load in the new Gold Medal Berger series this year.

Basic Member
    That will be nice.. Good ammo

Basic Member
    Must be a typo. Or using a BIG target. A full silhouette size target would have been big enough.
    I agree with the 140 eld. That Winchester ammo was not bad,.... for Winchester ammo in my gun. I don't think it is an SMK bullet. I hope Federal starts selling SMK, and SMK tipped 6.5 creedmopr ammo.

I called tech support again asking about a compatible factory 10 round magazine for the 6.5 creedmoor LRP. They gave me a part number that they claimed would work, but when I tried to order it from another part of the website, that section did not work. I had to get back to work and was unable to call back yesterday. The tech support person told me a different torque for the action screws as well. They said 30 to 35 inch pounds. I still wonder what the correct spec is???
    Try darkeaglecustom.com. They have a 10 round mag for the LRP. I ordered one and it works well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rondogg View Post
    Try darkeaglecustom.com. They have a 10 round mag for the LRP. I ordered one and it works well.
    I have a DarkEagle. It works fine. I saw a 10 round factory magazine that looked just like it at the range, so I called tech support. The factory mag is $58. The Dark eagle was $95. The tech support person was looking up everything as we spoke. I am not sure we were on the "same page" at any time during the call. I will call again, SN in hand, and wait for a tech in the parts department to confirm compatibility. The tech support "backup" I spoke with was not confident with the magazine's compatibility as well because I did not have my serial number.

I split the difference on the torque settings for the action screws during yesterday's shoot without incident.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BC98 View Post
    Federal is releasing a 6.5mm CM load in the new Gold Medal Berger series this year.
    I saw that on the Federal website. Looked like 130 grain?? It will probably be very expensive.

Basic Member
    I saw that on the Federal website. Looked like 130 grain?? It will probably be very expensive.
    Per some of the articles I have seen on it, it's the 130gr Hybrid OTM bullet.

Expensive compared to what? Midway USA has a pricing up on this load now and it's the same price as the Hornady Match loads ($28.99 per box).

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BC98 View Post
    Per some of the articles I have seen on it, it's the 130gr Hybrid OTM bullet.

Expensive compared to what? Midway USA has a pricing up on this load now and it's the same price as the Hornady Match loads ($28.99 per box).
    sgammo has 140 eld for $23.95 @ 10 boxes

kenbo776
    Last trip to range with my Model 12 LRP gave me 3 rounds in same bullet hole at 100 yards. If someone will tell me how to upload pics I will, I was so happy I took lots of pics.
    Shooting my reloads...140 gr Hornady ELD-X bullets...40 gr Accurate 4350. First batch using that powder and bullet combo. Scope is an IOR 6-24 x56.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast