Thread: Opinions

Gunner

Opinions

I have decided on a 6.5x284. But can't decide on the long range 111 or the weather warrior 116. This gun will be used for general hunting in the west where we live. Possibly 50-1000 yd shots and will be used by my boys 12-19 years old. What one would you choose? and maybe a short reason why? Please help influence my descision. Any opinion is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Basic Member
    Long-range because you have the added length on the barrel and I believe the barrel is heavier.

My 116 is more accurate than my long range. Go figure.

Banned
    We had a Ford Bronco with the 5.8 L engine, auto transmission that got worse gas mileage than the F-250 4 x 4 3/4 ton on 1 ton running gear with the same automatic transmission. Had to be 1500 lbs heavier.

Got figure for sure.

Basic Member
    Whichever you choose it is a bit of a gamble. That said, pick either one based on which you like. Ask the boys which one they like. The 6.5x284 should be a good round. Remember one of the features of a Savage is that you can easily buy and change the barrel if the factory supplied one fails to meet your expectations. Especially if you reload. There a lots of premium barrels out there to choose from. Equipment to change barrels is readily available and not expensive. I would suggest staying with long action as well. Good luck and welcome to the site.

1000 yd shot on game? A magnum of at least 7mm bore.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I agree with Robinhood. Use some ballistics calculators to see how much velocity and energy your round will be carrying at range. Keep in mind that most hunting bullets need 2000fps to reliably expand. If you're just talking about target shooting at 1000 and taking game at a more reasonable range, then disregard.

If it were me I'd go for the one with the longer barrel to help you out with velocity for shooting those ranges, but if it's the plastic stock I'm thinking of you may want to consider a stock upgrade on that one.

Can't go wrong with either but I suggest trying each one at a store. Handling, comfort, balance, weight and feel should not be overlooked if you have to carry this rifle for long periods of time.

I have a LRH in 6.5 Creedmoor and I'm not a big fan of the on/off muzzle brake. It requires constant maintenance to keep it from sticking in either position. After cleaning when fired you will get some "snot" blown out of it that was previously trapped in the brake. These two things I know. It's my opinion because of the looser tolerance in the brake compared to the bore there's no significant velocity gain over a slightly shorter barrel without the brake.

I would rather have the 116 for those reasons and the stainless action.

Gunner
    Thanks for the info. I will check them out in person. Also didn't know that about the brake. Is it removable or easily replaced? I also have never taken a shot over 600 yds. Would just like the option if needed. Odds are it won't happen on an animal.

The brake is removable. It's been over a year since I've had it off though. I can't remember the threads but it seems like if it were to be taken off it would require a custom thread protector.