Thread: Blind centerfeed conversion 270 WSM to 6.5 Creedmoor, can this work with existing parts, or need dif

Basic Member

Blind centerfeed conversion 270 WSM to 6.5 Creedmoor, can this work with existing parts, or need dif

Help...

Ok, I have mastered the bolt and bolt head conversion.

But I have not figured out my SA blind magazine metal. Its a newish 12FVSS that was in 270 WSM, then became a 7mm SAUM, and now is headed towards becoming a 6.5 Creedmoor.

I cannot find the blind feed spring, follower, or metal anywhere. I have not tried calling Savage. But maybe I don't have to? Anyone think I can bend around on the magazine lips and make it work? Probably will end up bending around and making it work for NEITHER!!!

Thanks in advance. I searched a lot, so perhaps this has been answered and I did not find it. I am sure that I am not the first to try it.......

Your rifle may be one of the designs, that takes the DBM and you pop off the bottom metal, then in your stock, you just push the frame of the DBM into the "blind mag inlet". My Brother has the 12FV from Cabelas, and that's how his converted, when he put it in the new stock.

Just a thought, I don't know for 100% if that is how yours is...

There are 2 different magazine designs. Stagger Feed 4.27 (attached to the action) and center feed 4.4 (attached to the stock). The numbers represent the action screw spacing in inches. A factory Stagger Feed magazine will probably give you some trouble in a Center Feed stock. The Center Feed magazine will likewise give you fits in a Stagger Feed stock. If you are fortunate enough to have a Center Feed action and a Center Feed stock you will have no issues with a Center Feed 308 (or variant) Magazine.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    The centerfeed blind magazine is the same thing as a center feed detachable magazine. The only difference is the detachable magazine has the bottom plastic plate. If you take off the bottom plastic plate then you have the blind magazine and follower of a center feed. So, if you are looking for the magazine and follower, just by the appropriate detachable magazine and pop off the bottom plastic plate.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hereinaz View Post
    The centerfeed blind magazine is the same thing as a center feed detachable magazine. The only difference is the detachable magazine has the bottom plastic plate. If you take off the bottom plastic plate then you have the blind magazine and follower of a center feed. So, if you are looking for the magazine and follower, just by the appropriate detachable magazine and pop off the bottom plastic plate.
    Well Sir, if you are correct, and you seem very confident, then you are the man of the hour!

Thanks for the other replies as well. Its a centerfeed for sure (thus the title). And all centerfeed blind magazines on SA Savages just push into the wood or plastic or whatever stock. These things I knew. But a source for centerfeed blind magazine metal has been totally elusive.....

aephilli822
    Quote Originally Posted by hereinaz View Post
    I thought that is what it looked like, thanks for the confirmation.

I have an extra but I can't offer it to you outside the classifieds. so If you posted a WTB ad I could probably help you out..
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by cdherman View Post
    Well Sir, if you are correct, and you seem very confident, then you are the man of the hour!

Thanks for the other replies as well. Its a centerfeed for sure (thus the title). And all centerfeed blind magazines on SA Savages just push into the wood or plastic or whatever stock. These things I knew. But a source for centerfeed blind magazine metal has been totally elusive.....
    Go to ebay and buy a detachable mag. When it arrives, discard the floorplate and put what's leftover in your stock.

I can't swear to it, but I think you could use an Axis mag for this.
    VISA loves me since I joined this site.

Basic Member
    All the detachable centerfeed magazines are the same whether it's in Axis or not. I know because I switch my Axis magazines in and out of my other rifles. Also I have taken the floor plate off of magazines to make a center feed out of a staggered feed to put the staggered feed action into a center feed stock.