Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage purchase advice

Cannowg

Savage purchase advice

I feel like i have done my due diligence in research for my new hunting rifle but i am still just as confused as when i started which is what brought me here. For the past 3 years i have been hunting with a 1968 marlin lever action 30-30 with a nice vortex scope on top. After last season i decided I wanted to moved a rifle that i didnt mind taking into the woods (lever action will stay in the family for life). I am set on a 308 caliber as it is widely available and a easier caliber on the shoulder. I do not need glass for this new gun so the package deals are a great offer but i dont want to over pay just for a scope i will not use or sell. I am looking at the Trohpy hunter xp package, the hog hunter in 308 and the ruger american and the axis in hardwood. Whatever i get will probably get a boyds stock treatment in a year or too but this gun will primarily be a deer rifle while also pulling some duty on the range every now and again. Budget is right at $500 but would love to get under that if possible. Right now the trohpy hunter in 308 is $465 and with the $50 rebate that will be $419 before shipping and FFL fees so i am not totally opposed to that. I just want to get some reviews or insight on which you guys in the savage community prefer!

Basic Member
    Trophy hunter package is good enough and is upgradable by you the end user. The scope that comes on most package rifles are considered by many throw aways, but you may get plenty of use from. For basic info, Accustock is better than the standard "Tupperware" stock. The Accutrigger is better than the standard trigger (on this point I disagree with others, but that just me). As mentioned earlier a quality scope is better, and worth the money, than the the scope that comes with the rifle. One last thing, the 10,11 and 14are all basiclly the same action, the 16 is a SS version. So pick any of them and you should have pretty much what you need to start.

Cannowg
    Ok awesome! I didn't know if it was a waste to purchase the trophy hunter with a scope of its just a throw away but I have been looking for a solid month and can't find anything without one. At the moment most all of my shots for deer will be well within 125yds but would like the ability to stretch it out should I get the opportunity. Something i could not really achieve with the lever action.

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=Cannowg;399921]I feel like i have done my due diligence in research for my new hunting rifle but i am still just as confused as when i started which is what brought me here. For the past 3 years i have been hunting with a 1968 marlin lever action 30-30 with a nice vortex scope on top. After last season i decided I wanted to moved a rifle that i didnt mind taking into the woods (lever action will stay in the family for life). I am set on a 308 caliber as it is widely available and a easier caliber on the shoulder. I do not need glass for this new gun so the package deals are a great offer but i dont want to over pay just for a scope i will not use or sell. I am looking at the Trohpy hunter xp package, the hog hunter in 308 and the ruger american and the axis in hardwood. Whatever i get will probably get a boyds stock treatment in a year or too but this gun will primarily be a deer rifle while also pulling some duty on the range every now and again. Budget is right at $500 but would love to get under that if possible. Right now the trohpy hunter in 308 is $465 and with the $50 rebate that will be $419 before shipping and FFL fees so i am not totally opposed to that. I just want to get some reviews or insight on which you guys in the savage community prefer![/QUOTE

Does cabelas still have the model 12 fv .308 on sale ? I believe you can get one for $419/tax . Back ordered , they say delivery in 3 weeks. I have one as do a few members here as well . Mine shoots lights out,right out of the box. A perfect gun to shoot ,than make it your own personal custom later. My .02 Gary

Banned
    Phew, need to separate it out from the quote.

Have o check but the 12FV is regularly on sale.

Keep in mind its a Varmint not a hunter, so it has a heavy long bizarre .

The 10T is a bit more hunter with a shorter but still heavy barrel, better stock,

Nothing wrong with starting with a 16 Hunter and then upgrading to a better stock.

Scope is ok for hunting and its always good to have a go to scope to cross check a accuracy problem.

Cannowg
    Ok awesome I will check out both of those. Only issue about using cabellas is that the nearest one for me is about 3 hours away. Would they ship to an FFL?? I know gander mountain does that with their used guns.

Banned
    I don't think so.

Just keep in mind, The 10T and the 12FV Varmint barrel are really very heavy barrels, not quite a bull but close to a bull than a light barrel.

Of the two the 10T would be the better woods gun though not as handy as a Light Hunter type.

The 12FV is really more suited to varmint shooting form a fixed location with a rest.

Basic Member
    All of the Trophy Hunter XP and DOA Hunter XP rifles are packaged with a basic 3-9X40 scope (Nikon or Bushnell). I purchased one in 2013 for one of my sons to hunt with. During load development (I handload most everything I shoot), I also replaced the scope mounts and rings and removed some material from the barrel channel to fully free float the barrel. The scope is decent but not something I'd pick out for myself.

If I were to do it all over, I'd pick a rifle without the basic plastic stock but instead one with a AccuStock or better and I'd also pick one with the traditional bolt release and not the bottom release.

If your budget of $500 is a hard stop, I'd pick the 12 FV from Cabela's.

Cannowg
    I wouldnt say the dead stop is 500 but i would like to stay in that range. 90% of my hunting is from a tree stand or shooting house as we live in alabama. Thanks for the suggestions and I will take a look at all of these!

Basic Member
    I can tell you from experience that you really....really don't want to be lugging a 12FV through the woods for any length of time. What with the plastic stock and loooooong 26" varmint weight barrel, the gun is quite a bit nose heavy, besides being just plain heavy. Adding a nice laminate stock makes it even heavier, but also improves it's accuracy. I have 3 of the 12FVs for fun target shooting, a BVSS (way heavier) and an even heavier model 12 in 6mmBR. NONE will be accompanying me into the woods!

A light weight 22 inch barrel will much easier on you. My 308 with 22 inch "pencil" barrel in a laminate stock and 6-32x50 scope weighs in at just about 8 3/4 lbs.

I suggest you go with a gun designed for hunting, and that way you won't be looking to trade it in after it's first outing.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannowg View Post
    I wouldnt say the dead stop is 500 but i would like to stay in that range. 90% of my hunting is from a tree stand or shooting house as we live in alabama. Thanks for the suggestions and I will take a look at all of these!
    I also hunt from both a tree stand and box blind/shooting house. How far do you walk in to either stand?

Which model Vortex scope do you have on the 30-30 that you would move to the Savage?

Banned
    That makes boht of them pretty viable.

While I do not have the !0T, I think its the better deal though it does have bottom bolt release.

You don't have any choice, they come with what they do and no variations.

The 12FV does have the side bolt release and the segmented nut so if you change barrels you don't have to deal with a smooth nut (some come off ok and some are mothers of all nuts). Segment easier if its a mother nut.

12FV is going to take a rest to shoot (my opinion) the 10T not as much.

10 T comes with a decent stock.

You might try gun brokers but if Cabell is doing a bigger sale, the $150 off could be worth the 3 hour trip.

Neither the 10T or the 12FV comes with a scope or rings.

Cannowg
    Really depends on the walk in but usually about 1/4 to 1/2 mile walk in with the shortest being about 200 yds. The vortex is a copper head 4-12x44mm on weaver rings and bases. I will upgrade glass in the next year or so.

Cannowg
    Would it be worth it to go with the trophy hunter and upgrade to something like a Boyd's stock? I have been looking around seems pretty rare to find a decent bolt gun under 500 with a wood stock in style that I am after.

I have accustocks and non-accustocks. For hunting I don't like accustocks. They don't feel right, add weight and unless you're shooting 600+ yards the added ( 1/8th to 1/4 moa if lucky ) accuracy is not worth the hustles.

I've never gained any accuracy by glassbedding any of my savages. The tupperware stocks might not look up to par but they sure work as intended.

Cannowg
    Well I went to the local gun shop this afternoon and a couple of box stores and held some various rifles they had in stock. Like the feel of the trophy hunter and I feel it will get the job done. I'm not as worried about hitting 3 shots within moa but more so it's dependability to be accurate for that 1 shot when it matters. Also came across the hogue 1500 as well. I know they are the counterparts to the vangaurd series 2. Interesting choice!

Basic Member
    With what you're saying, if you get any XP package you'll likely be replacing the stock and scope. If a wood stock something that is high on your list and you're willing to do some work on it (bedding, etc), I'd look at the one XP that comes in wood. Bud's currently has it available for $550. Based on my experience, I'd also recommend replacing the rings and mount on an XP.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...H+XP+308+NIKON

You mention in the first post that this might also be a range gun. All the XPs have sporter barrels - great for moving through the woods and general hunting duties, not so great for a range gun. I walk around the same distance as you to my two stands. Not only am I carrying my rifle but all my gear for the hunt so an extra couple of pounds really doesn't matter on such a short walk. My primary stand is a box blind with three different shooting lanes each over 90 degrees apart. I personally don't mind a heavy rifle (in fact my primary is over 11 lbs but then 99.9%+ of my shooting is done at the range) but a rifle with a barrel over 20" makes it hard to pivot in my box blind.

If $500 isn't a hard stop and given the conditions and circumstances where I hunt, I'd consider the 10 FCP-SR with a 20" barrel. The same rifle is available with a 24" barrel as well. Bud's has them for the low $600s. Both have the AccuStock and include an EGW one piece mount. I would work with both of those components.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...308+20%22+10RD

Pick up a stainless model 16 off the big auction site with free shipping. Apply for the $75 dollar rebate through Savage ( https://sporting.myonlinerebate.com/11317/ )

Hunt till you just cant hunt anymore :)
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Cannowg
    The wood stock isn't a major necessity it's honestly why I'm putting down my lever gun because it takes too much abuse moving through the woods. I have just read a great deal about everyone complaining about the rigidity of the stock plastics so figured down the road it would be a sensible upgrade. My main focus is just a reliable platform that I can improve my own skills with and enjoy for many seasons to come.

The synthetics are virtually impervious to weather and need almost no maintenance. They work amazingly well and though I've seen the complaints of stock flex the only one Ive ever had a problem with was on a 110FP with a long heavy barrel and then only off of a bi pod where all the weight was near the tip of the fore end.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Motorbreath
    Ok awesome I will check out both of those. Only issue about using cabellas is that the nearest one for me is about 3 hours away. Would they ship to an FFL?? I know gander mountain does that with their used guns.
    I live in FL and closest Cabelas was in GA. They will ship to your local FFL. I had to call 2 different stores and talk to 3 different people before I found some one that knew what they were needed to do, but they will do it.

Basic Member
    Don't be afraid of the synthetic stock if you can get the beefier one like on a 12FV. Don't know if any of the sporter barrel models, either 10 or 11(110-111) comes with the heavier stock, but it does a good job. I replaced my 12FV stock with a laminate only because I liked the look over the synthetic. It was stiff enough to not rub the barrel. Plenty of meat around the grip area.

curly84
    I have no complaints of my model 10 I purchased it about six or seven years ago at Walmart for $268 came with a Simmons 3×9 power eight point well what you guys call as a cheap scope I shot woodchucks at 300 yards I shot a nice 8-point buck quarter turn away from me half trot down through the woods at 75 yards took both lungs out of it chambered in a 243 went about 30 yards Federal Hydra-Shok hundred grain did the job some people might think well you bought it at Walmart it must be a cheap gun well to each his own I got a really good deal on it well I'm very pleased with it black synthetic stock nice and light at 61 years old I can go that

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Cannowg
    Well I finally got out after work yesterday and did some test driving just seeing how the actions and bolt move. How the fit and finish and what not worked. I am settled in on 1 of 3 guns and they are all about equal price. Howa 1500 with the game king scope , savage 11 trophy hunter in 308 and a buddy heard I was looking so he called with a fairly enticing offer on a browning A bolt 2 in stainless. I have got some deciding to do!

Banned
    For what its worth there is a Laminated wood stock that is weather imperious and looks good.

Boyd's is the best and extensive line up in aftermarket if the gun does not come with it (one of mine did, the other one I got to replace the plastic stock)

They a hunter profiles which are a tad lighter and less beef (I have one).

Fit is outstanding, I haven't had to worry about bedding the two I do have.

They have some options for fancier finishes as well.

I don't drag mine through the woods so I don't know how they hold up.

They are tougher than wood but how much unknown.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast