I feel like i have done my due diligence in research for my new hunting rifle but i am still just as confused as when i started which is what brought me here. For the past 3 years i have been hunting with a 1968 marlin lever action 30-30 with a nice vortex scope on top. After last season i decided I wanted to moved a rifle that i didnt mind taking into the woods (lever action will stay in the family for life). I am set on a 308 caliber as it is widely available and a easier caliber on the shoulder. I do not need glass for this new gun so the package deals are a great offer but i dont want to over pay just for a scope i will not use or sell. I am looking at the Trohpy hunter xp package, the hog hunter in 308 and the ruger american and the axis in hardwood. Whatever i get will probably get a boyds stock treatment in a year or too but this gun will primarily be a deer rifle while also pulling some duty on the range every now and again. Budget is right at $500 but would love to get under that if possible. Right now the trohpy hunter in 308 is $465 and with the $50 rebate that will be $419 before shipping and FFL fees so i am not totally opposed to that. I just want to get some reviews or insight on which you guys in the savage community prefer!