Thread: 111 trophy hunter

Basic Member

111 trophy hunter

I have a 111 trophy hunter in 30-06 I have not been able to get to shoot . Have the original box it came in . Have tried a lot of different factory loads and hand loads . Three shot groups run from 3"-5" with occasional 2"
    just not acceptable to me , so I want to sell it , but not at a price someone would feel burned . Any suggestions on a price ? Thank you. Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth54 View Post
    I have a 111 trophy hunter in 30-06 I have not been able to get to shoot . Have the original box it came in . Have tried a lot of different factory loads and hand loads . Three shot groups run from 3"-5" with occasional 2"
    just not acceptable to me , so I want to sell it , but not at a price someone would feel burned . Any suggestions on a price ? Thank you. Kenneth
    I would highly suggest that you send it back to Savage, let them investigate it it more in depth. You could get a paid membership and part it out on in the classifieds here and probably do better than trying to sell locally.

Kenneth, Some things to think about. The trophy Hunter comes with a 25 -50 dollar scope. The 30-06 has significant recoil. There is a possibility that the scope is the issue. We have seen many post where the Trophy Hunter's scope mounts and rings are assembled without insuring that all of the screws are tight. The action screws on the bottom (the one in front of the trigger guard and the one in front of the magazine need to be properly secured. All plastic so I'm not sure of the amount of inch pounds torque. Clean your barrel and make sure it is dry when you fire it. If it is an older rifle you might need to remove some copper. Good Luck
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyShackle View Post
    I would highly suggest that you send it back to Savage, let them investigate it it more in depth. You could get a paid membership and part it out on in the classifieds here and probably do better than trying to sell locally.
    First go through the checks per Robinhood.

If nothing solves it, then contact Savage, get an RMA (it sounds like a newer gun?) You can't just send it to them.

Team Savage
    If it were mine, I'd start by contacting Savage, and if that got you nowhere, then I'd rebarrel it. '06 barrels are pretty cheap, as are .270 barrels. Otherwise, you could part it out and sell it probably for more than you could get for the whole gun.

I bot the same 06 about 3 years ago.... If it's still in the synthetic stock, then that may also be contributing to the problem. Before I did a little bedding job around the recoil lug, mine would move from side to side. It would put 2 where I wanted them, but as soon as the barrel warmed up, it would start walking shots.... After the bedding job, It is a 1 MOA shooter @ 200 yards.

Basic Member
    Thanks to all who replied . I have a couple Savages that shoot well . I put a 6.5-20 EFR on it that had just been sent back to Leupold for check up and reticle change . Also thought it might be the stock flexing , so I sat it forward into the bags so it was a few inches in front of the trigger guard giving me the most beef I could get out of the stock .

Pretty much made up my mind to sell it , just wandered what a fair price on it would be without scope ?
    What does the action go for ? Thanks again , Kenneth

Actions are running $480.00-$500.00 brand new. So, there's a ball park for you.

Basic Member
    Change scopes and rings first.

Pretty much made up my mind to sell it , just wandered what a fair price on it would be without scope ?
    What does the action go for ? Thanks again , Kenneth
    Market is really dependent on where you live. Around here probably about $400 would be absolute top dollar for a used plain Jane 111. More likely to get $325.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    Actions are running $480.00-$500.00 brand new. So, there's a ball park for you.
    Holy smokes , I think I paid less than that for the rifle .
    Thanks , Kenneth

Holy smokes , I think I paid less than that for the rifle.
    Supply and demand..... :) Everybody wants the savage actions so they can "build" their own guns... It was shocking to me to see the prices over the last 2 years... Especially for a lefty Action.... I wound up buying a brand new .270 111 trophy hunter XP, just for the action!

fortunately it was on sale at the time for $400.00 (including the $75.00 rebate). I was able to sell the Nikon 3-9 that came on it for $90.00 (rings included) which made it a much better deal.