Thread: Apache X Caliber in 260

Apache X Caliber in 260

Just wanted to give Jimmy a thumbs up on one of his x caliber barrels he cut for me. 6 month wait time (that I was prepared for ) was well worth it. I finally got around to installing his barrel friday and went to simply fire form some necked down 308 to 260 LC Brass Sunday for the beginning of load development for the new barrel and low and behold......nice and tight 3/8" 4 shot pattern @100 using simple 140gr hornady mhpbt and 45.0grs of H4831sc going 2760fps. I,ll post pics later.
    I wish I'd of replaced the factory barrel 1000 rounds ago.
    I know jimmy s wait times and communication are in question but I have to say his work is spot on.
    So......again! Thanks Jimmy!
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Banned
    Good news and good on knowing the situation.

I want to see 5 shot groups though.

I often get some great 3 and 4 shot groups, with one of those wanderers that break it up.

Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    Good news and good on knowing the situation.

I want to see 5 shot groups though.

I often get some great 3 and 4 shot groups, with one of those wanderers that break it up.
    Roger that.
    Ill find another day that's not blowing gust of winds up to 30 mph though. This last sunday I was bound and determined to at least fire form my brass and didnt care about the blowing wind nor accuracy. I didn't shoot the last round I had which would of been the 5th round because it was my last round and I needed to save it to take it back home and measure oal. I thought I was just making bunk ammo to fire form brass so didn't make a note of the oal. the charge weight is exact though.
    {John Wayne}

Banned
    A mere 30 mph wind?

Have to love it when it starts blowing targets down.

Our range is prone to it (pun)

I do believe that if you get a good 3 or 4 shot group then a flyer is something other than the gun, be it the ammo or the shooter.

Its just getting that all consistent is quite an effort.

I would also explore 3/10 either side of that to see if it change. You wan to be in the middle of the node and not on the far edge where something very small can pitch it over the edge and you look at it and, dang, it shot great last time!

I'm planning on running more pattern test this weekend. if I get the same results (which I hope I do) then I'm not going to bother playing with charge weights nor seating depths. I've been down this road before which I'm sure all of us have and that is finding yourself so consumed with finding those perfect patterns and that perfect load that you completely forget to have fun and enjoy yourself.
    {John Wayne}

Banned
    I think its kind of an interesting mix of the appeal.

I am not big on re-loading as entertaining, quiet time, I don't mind it but I do it to shoot not as something that's of focused interest by itself. I probably have the worst looking bench in the country. More loads and less organizing (I am working on it)

Others like the enjoyment of working on he bench, maybe when or if I retire.

On the other hand, I am a very slow shooter and like to see if I can fine tune the loads.

I have an old Junior press I take down to the range with me and have a RCBS seater I can adjust bullets in 30 caliber with.

I get a lot of looks and questions.