Thread: pillars?

swamphonkey

pillars?

I was useing old aluminum arrow head inserts for pillars and just drilling them out to fit. But Im out and would like to just get a box of pillars. Where do you guys find pillars for savage rifles for boyds stocks.
    And another thing. If anyone from Boyds reads this you guys need to stop drinking on the job. The last stock I got was pure garbage!

Basic Member
    Stocky's sells a variety of bedding pillars. I buy the Savage style. As far as I can tell, they are identical to what Savage puts in theirs.https://www.stockysstocks.com/access...-supplies.html
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

swamphonkey
    Thanks bud.

Basic Member
    "SH", You've been around here long enough to know many of us like to use lamp rod for pillars, and it works very well. I have done pillars just about every way it can be done. As for the options listed in post #2, I like the standard Savage pillars best, especially for the front pillar. When done properly, it comes out very solid. The down side to the Savage pillars is they require counter boring to accommodate the two diameters. And it is a different process to pillar and bed at the same time, but I have not found that to be an advantage or necessary. Also, depending on the stock depth, the rear Savage pillar is not always long enough, requiring washers to be stacked under the trigger guard to make full metal contact all the way up. And because there is so little material at the back pillar hole, I like that pillar to be as thin as possible.

So, the last laminated stock I did, I think came out the best of all. I used the stock Savage pillar for the front and lamp rod for the back.

But I will also say this. I have a Stockys laminate sporter that has My 250 Savage installed in it. It is so accurate I "could" use it effectively in competition. "But it is not glass or pillar bedded, and it has the plastic front insert".

Lamp rod

Basic Member
    you can buy pillars at home depot...just did the other day...you will have to cut them a bit though most likely. they're like a buck a piece.

Basic Member
    I use lamp rod or just take a punch and knock the ones out of a cheap Tupperware stock and reuse those

Team Savage
    This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

swamphonkey
    Didn't even think of lamp rod. I really order everything Im so far away from a homedepot it takes me all day. I wanted the aluminum pillars that have the slits to hold the adhesive good. Because I think Im going to have to fill in around the pillars good because I had to take so much out to fit it properly Im thinking I got about zilch for some meat for it to hang on to so I was going to set them and fill around them good and pray it holds good.
    I was going to use the stock pillars. But You would not believe how many folks I have made their day by giving them a "new" stock. So I keep them in whole. But thanks guys. I orderd a 100$ worth to keep me in them.

Basic Member
    The outside threads on lamp rod provide plenty of grip for the 10110 or what ever form of Epoxy is used.

I get pillar material from Ernie The Gunsmith, they come in 4" length, two to a package, 3/8" & 1/2" dia. with .260" bore. His web site has some bedding instructions, not Savage, but show some good information.