Thread: cutting a barrel question

Basic Member

cutting a barrel question

hey guys I am thinking of getting a new barrel for my 11 build but I don't want a 26 inch barrel . I live in the north east and it will be a whitetail gun , so I am thinking of getting a barrel an getting cut down to like 22" or twenty . I know it wont be as accurate as a 26 but will mess with the overall accuracy cause I will shoot out to 200yrds at the range .

Basic Member
    A short barrel will be equally if not more accurate than a longer barrel.

I cut a few using the brownells crowning tool with a hacksaw and file. I was very happy with the results

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    One of my most accurate rifles had a 20" barrel. They are usually a little less prone to harmonics. You will lose some velocity, but under 300 yards it is not too much of a concern. There are plenty of DIY cut and crown videos on YouTube, and I have done some myself. If it is an option, you could always order it in the length you prefer.
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. ... Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.<br /><br />Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by MI223 View Post
    A short barrel will be equally if not more accurate than a longer barrel.

I cut a few using the brownells crowning tool with a hacksaw and file. I was very happy with the results

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    I would like try this on a .243 barrel I came across. The end of the muzzle is pitted. At any rate, how is crowning tool to use? Worth the asking price? Thanks in advance

Basic Member
    Your cut off job should be a very simple job for anyone who is a real gunsmith. If you lived near me in Central PA I could direct you to 2 good folks with in 25 miles of me.

Banned
    I would not hack it off myself, but a shorter barrel is not going to be less accurate.

A longer barrel does two things. Its heavier and a bit steadier if bench rest or supported,

Just order it that length or a gun smith can do it and do it nice and clean and looks right with no mistakes.

Basic Member
    "Ain't nothin to it"

Do a search and see how many ways people have done it successfully, and go for it.

There is even a good write up on how crowns were purposely mangled, and how little affect it had on the rifles accuracy.

I have shortened 3 barrels, using only tools in the shop, and all of them shoot better than before the cut. I didn't bother with the crown tool.

If You have doubts, just leave the barrel 1/2" long, and if You don't like the results, You can always pay a GS to do it.

Banned
    True (pun) enough, I like a nice finished look.

Basic Member
    ^ Managed to get that also ;-)) ^

Basic Member
    A shorter barrel can be more accurate, as others have already pointed out. It won't whip from harmonics as much as a longer one but you will loose some pill speed.