Thread: Model 170 B 35 Remington

Basic Member

Model 170 B 35 Remington

Put one on layaway today. Condition is 90%. Just light surface rust and a couple buggered screwheads. Got her for $265. This is the first 170 .35 I've seen. Do I understand correctly, that 35's had fewer feeding issues than the 30-30's? She's a B series, no receiver engraving, and has a very nice piece of wood for a buttstock. C prefix serial number. Curious as to date.
    Wasn't looking for this rifle, but there she was. Love the tang safety! Surprisingly, she handles better than a 760 and does not rattle. Trigger is surprisingly good. Creepy but smooth. I can live with it. No doubt will get better after a good cleaning/lube. I may go with an aperture sight, love them, but a scope is a possibility. I've read that these rifles can be rather accurate. Given the barrel being threaded into the receiver, nice and rigid, I can see this.
    Am looking forward to my newest old rifle. I do 90% of my hunting with muzzloaders, but sometimes, a breechloader is nice.
    Oh, how's the feed cycle on these compared to, say a Marlin or Remington 14/141? Curious as to the degree of crimp required.
    Thanks!

C series can be anywhere from 75-79, you can dial it in on the table at the top of the vintage section.

I had a 170 in 35, loved it but just wasn't using it enough. It's a tube feed like any 12 ga shotgun you've ever had, it cycles the same way.

Try to stay away from the Hornady lever evolution as they pack a real punch to the shoulder in those guns, I stick with the regular Remington fodder. Still shoot 35 Rem but in a Stevens model 425 now.

The 170 takes the same scope mounts as the Remington 760 so they're not hard to find, a peep sight might be though. I have a couple here but I think they'll have to be drilled and tapped to be mounted cause they're side mounted.

They tend to cycle better than the same gun in 30-30 because it's not a rimmed case, I personally believe the lip of the casing was hanging up when being loaded.
    Savage- "never say never".

Basic Member
    I'm not familiar with this rifle, but I read it was based on the m77 410 shotgun. That being said, I wonder if the feed issues are because the 3030 is rather sharply tapered compared to the 410, and the 35 Remington is not.
    I'm really looking forward to this rifle. The 35 has been a favorite of mine for a while. Only ever killed 1 deer with it, but it was spectacular.
    Fingers crossed!

Basic Member
    1978 production, by the serial number. Any idea how many 170's were 35's? Looked in a couple old Gun Digests and the 35 wasn't listed.
    Mine has the "damper" assembly in the magazine tube. What is its purpose? Thanks

There were alot less made in 35 than there were in 30-30, the 30-30's were made for years before they came out with the 35 Rem introduction. Very uncommon round to find a 170 in.

Not sure about the damper though.
    Savage- "never say never".

Basic Member
    Went to the shop with cleaning rod and patches. Wanted to make sure there would be no nasty surprises. Her muzzle looked a bit sketchy, and I was a bit worried.
    Nothing to worry about. The bore was powder fouled, but surprisingly for a Savage, copper free. The muzzle just had a bunch of gun case fuzz in it. Whew! Gave her a quick once over to make sure that in my shock over discovering her, I hadn't overlooked anything important. She really wasn't shot or carried much. Whatever the reason, it's good for me!
    Given that she didn't copper foul, I am SO hoping I can get good work from cast bullets. As the 200 grain Core Lokts aren't available for reloaders, I figure, out to 150 yards, I can do as well with cast. Maybe a bit better... It would also be an additional level of satisfaction when kneeling next to a plump tasty... Oh. The damper thingy. Apparently it puts a bit if rearward pressure in the slide and keeps it from rattling. I gave her a good shake, with the action cocked, and unlocked ,and no rattle.
    Can't wait to pick her up!