Put one on layaway today. Condition is 90%. Just light surface rust and a couple buggered screwheads. Got her for $265. This is the first 170 .35 I've seen. Do I understand correctly, that 35's had fewer feeding issues than the 30-30's? She's a B series, no receiver engraving, and has a very nice piece of wood for a buttstock. C prefix serial number. Curious as to date.
Wasn't looking for this rifle, but there she was. Love the tang safety! Surprisingly, she handles better than a 760 and does not rattle. Trigger is surprisingly good. Creepy but smooth. I can live with it. No doubt will get better after a good cleaning/lube. I may go with an aperture sight, love them, but a scope is a possibility. I've read that these rifles can be rather accurate. Given the barrel being threaded into the receiver, nice and rigid, I can see this.
Am looking forward to my newest old rifle. I do 90% of my hunting with muzzloaders, but sometimes, a breechloader is nice.
Oh, how's the feed cycle on these compared to, say a Marlin or Remington 14/141? Curious as to the degree of crimp required.
Thanks!