Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New B series rim fire

Basic Member

New B series rim fire

Didn't want to stack this question onto Mr. F thread with the video. I have been looking for some first hand experience and no one has posted yet.
    Has anyone picked up one of these yet? If so, is the stock workable, because it sure looks nice. Balance? Accuracy? etc.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/B17FV

Basic Member
    Has anyone even looked at and held yet?

Basic Member
    Maybe people are afraid to buy the new B series rifles after being aware of the horror stories with the B-Mag.

Basic Member
    Could be right although they should be different animals.

I have one coming for review that should be here by the end of the month.

Basic Member
    That's great. My 93FSS 22WMR is on it's 4th trip with Savage over misfire issues. If I can get it reliable, I am leaning toward peddling it and go with a new B series 17HMR, if the review is positive.

Basic Member
    The B series may be a different animal from the B-Mag, but the quality of workmanship in both firearms from the same company may be very similar. For example, if you don't make a decent magazine for the B-Mag, why would the magazine for the B series be any better?

Basic Member
    I should have also mentioned the absolutely horrid synthetic stock on the B-Mag; if they didn't "know" how to make a stock for the B-Mag, will they have learned to make a decent stock for the B series?

Just shot my B17fv with 4-12x40 Vortex Crossfire II scope. After first twenty or so shots it is about 1 MOA at 100 yds. Stock is nice, but I can not say it is free floated. It rubs on barrel. Contacted Boyds to see if they will be making an after market stock. Minute of angle isn't bad for rimfire at 100 yds, but would like better. Magazine works great. Have a 93R17BTVS but wanted this model because of mag.

Basic Member
    Yea, the rotary mag might be a hit, although what pics I have seen sure looks like a 10/22. I just posted another thread on the Crossfire ll, but on the 6.5-18x44 variety. How do you like yours? If the stock and mounts are like the 93 series(I have a 93 FSS 22WMR), it has a little wiggle room to get it to float. Did you use only one brand and type of ammo? So you do like the stock better than your 93?

Looking forward to Mr. F review.

I have several Vortex scopes, three vipers. This Crossfire seems almost as good as them. With the minimal recoil of the 17hmr I think it will be a good choice. I used the vortex Hunter medium rings. Scope is eighth inch off barrel. I only used Hornady 17gr ammo so far. Waiting on some A17. I think that the thumbhole stock on the 93 is a much better stock. The B17 stock is ok, I just don't like that it rides on the barrel and I don't know how to remedy the situation.

Basic Member
    Oops. I read right through your model number and didn't realize it was the the thumbhole. Yea, that would make a difference. I was trying to compare the new B series stock to the current 93/Mark ll stock.

Had a b17 fvsr for a month now and I like a lot,the mag compares favorably to my ruger american rim fire. Big improvement over the mark ii.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Wilson, good to hear. I definitely like the new stock look. Noticed today that Cabelas has them on sale. Hopefully, I can find a buyer for my 93FSS WMR.

Are your B17 stocks free floated? Mine is tight to the barrel. Savage is replacing, I hope new one is more to my liking.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    I have one coming for review that should be here by the end of the month.
    Any news?

Quote Originally Posted by WV1951 View Post
    Any news?
    Well, I was supposed to be getting one, then was told there was a hold up with production of the 22LR's, then was told they are back in production and it shouldn't be long now. I went ahead and put in a request for another rifle as well with the hope that maybe one of them will show up before to long.

Basic Member
    Funny you should mention that......I just got one in. It's tore apart on my counter as of right now.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Funny you should mention that......I just got one in. It's tore apart on my counter as of right now.
    See how he is? No wonder these review guns never shoot worth a hoot, Fred's taking them apart and inserting gremlin's before he calls me to come pick them up.

New B series rim fire

Does anyone know if the barrels are replaceable? If so is it the same barrel nut system as their centerfire actions?

I know no one is currently producing a barrel but if it is replaceable then there may be a chance in the future.

Basic Member
    See how he is? No wonder these review guns never shoot worth a hoot, Fred's taking them apart and inserting gremlin's before he calls me to come pick them up.
    Well, just tell him to cut it out.

Quote Originally Posted by WV1951 View Post
    Well, just tell him to cut it out.
    I'm afraid if I do that he might start charging me to do the transfer on them. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFenix View Post
    Does anyone know if the barrels are replaceable? If so is it the same barrel but system as their centerfire actions?

I know no one is currently producing a barrel but if it is replaceable then there may be a chance in the future.
    Barrel has a nut, but it's not the same system as the centerfires. Couldn't be as the rimfire actions are a lot smaller in diameter. It's a smooth nut with no spanner hole or anything, so a special wrench will be needed.

The other major change is that the breech of the barrel is now coned so no need for extractor cuts that require the barrel to be indexed. As such it should make for a rimfire platform where you can easily swap on a quality aftermarket barrel just like a 110 or Axis.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01268.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	3026

Barrel has a nut, but it's not the same system as the centerfires. Couldn't be as the rimfire actions are a lot smaller in diameter. It's a smooth nut with no spanner hole or anything, so a special wrench will be needed.

The other major change is that the breech of the barrel is now coned so no need for extractor cuts that require the barrel to be indexed. As such it should make for a rimfire platform where you can easily swap on a quality aftermarket barrel just like a 110 or Axis.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01268.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	3026
    That's what I like to hear!

I got my B17 FV last week, 21 inch barrel. Shot it twice... The stock rubs the barrel big time. Do I need to contact Savage? Also, I'm going to hold on talking about accuracy until after 200 rounds...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast